Saturday, January 12, 2008

Sweethearts

Perfection has its pitfalls. It's never easy being an icon placed on a high pedestal since everyone's just breathlessly waiting for that unfortunate event to tip them over for the inevitable fall. Schadenfreude at work.

One of the sweetest, most agreeable guys I know is Jaunty Jared. Seriously. He's one of the few souls I know who goes out of his way to please everyone - up to and including his occasionally demanding ( though not unreasonably ) horror mama. Wouldn't surprise me to find him voted for Most Liked Fella in his year.

why me!
Do you really want to hurt me? Do you really want to make me cry?
Why do you hate me?

I wouldn't call Jared perfect since he's far from that - I'd certainly vehemently abhor anyone who's a shining paragon after all! Just like any red-blooded guy, Jared has his little foibles after all ( makes me wanna pat him on his lil streaked blond head sometimes ) but he at least strives for perfection.

Obviously clear from my blog that I've long given up on any pretension of achieving perfection.

So during a shockingly informative tete a tete this evening when it was revealed that one of our acquiantance actually secretly disliked Jared in connection with his boyfriend ( someone his boyfriend once had a naughty clandestine fling with ), I found myself secretly amused. To hate Jared? I couldn't see exactly how anyone could possibly find it in themselves to loathe such an agreeable fellow!

Paul : He hates you? MUAHAHAHAHA!
Jared : I don't know why! I tried to make him like me.
Paul : You are dating his ex. Of course he hates you! There should be a law or something. And trying so hard would make him hate you more no doubt!
Jared : But what did I do!
Paul : You exist. Reason enough I should think.

And though he denied it vehemently and claimed he didn't give a damn, it wasn't that difficult to see that Jared was genuinely baffled by the unprecedented enmity. Probably his first time featuring on a hate list - no doubt secretly peeved that someone actually detested him!

Me, I know how it feels. Wouldn't surprise me if I had quite a few frenemies out there just waiting to strangle me, Charming Calvin included :P I wouldn't claim to be a saint after all.

And let's face it, after all despite how unfailingly hard you try ( and what all the simple feel-good melodies claim ) not everyone's going to get along. Lifelong prejudices and shared, often convoluted histories will inevitably cloud relationships. Simply written in the stars that certain personalities are going to clash and remain at sixes and sevens forever.

11 comments:

Janvier said...

He could feel the sparks prickling off his skin too!

nyonyapenang said...

Get Jared to consult an astrologer...maybe their stars not aligned or something. hahahaha....

A Lewis said...

Perfection is tough. But somebody's gotta try it.

Perky said...

The hater is just jealous & obviously a sore loser. That's sooo high school, don't cha think?

I'd consider myself lucky if there was only 1 person who hates me in this world. But being a diva and all, being disliked comes with the territory ;)

D-Man said...

I tend to be a 'pleaser.' A good friend once told me that I can't spend my life "running for prom queen. Do YOU like EVERYBODY? No, of course not. Then it follows that everyone can't like you..."

Ganymede said...

How can anyone hate Jared!

*tsk tks tks

Such a sweet and lovely person.

Running with Scalpels said...

Aha, I agree with whoever said someone's got to try at being perfect. XD

You commented on my blog and asked me 'why medicine'... I'm begining to think I should set up a drive... every time someone asks me that, I'll donate a dollar to charity or something. Should be up by about 150 bucks by now...

But yea, valid question, since you know, it involves literal life and death situations.

I love medicine. It's my passion. I am willing to give up (almost) everything to pursue it. I want to do it so much it makes me speechless in trying to tell you why. Not that I need to justify it to you of course, but since you asked so nicely.... =P

In any case, thanks for the wish of luck. Good luck to you as well.. =)

Jannah said...

Can't make everybody loves you. Although I have been on the receiving end like Jared. Someone hated me so much, even though she got the guy we were both after at the same time, yet still can't get over the whole thing. I can't even leave comment on his blog on the grounds that it meant I'm after her man.

And he's a friend first before we started becoming more than best chums. I miss him.

Guess there's nothing worst than a woman protecting her man from evil bitches sniffing his panties :P

Alex said...

Happy that you're not alone eh? :P

Anonymous said...

not trying to please everybody...

i believe in

- what goes around comes around

and

-Do unto others as you would have them do unto you

anyway, welcome to the brotherhood :P

Jaded Jeremy said...

One of my ex-classmates hated me for reasons I still do not know. I've even asked him before and apparently he didn't know either. I definitely would like to know but as to whether I would have changed anything is a different matter altogether.