Sunday, January 13, 2008

Getting Down Under?

They say one of the make-or-break activities for a relationship is the infamous weekend away together. Stranded 24 hours together in an isolated touristy hideaway usually stretches a loving couple's tolerance for each other to the limits, dragging out all sorts of hitherto unknown ( or silently tolerated ) bad habits to the fore. From mundane quirks such as colour-coding closet space and keeping-neighbours-awake snoring to the more terrifying Bluebeard ( homicidal ) habits.

Oddly enough in the two years I've known Charming Calvin, we've not gone on a planned trip together - not unless you count the recent Beijing Bash a trip.

So when a couple of his adoring Calvinettes ( and they seem to have either mysteriously multiplied by cloning or recruited more members! ) suggested a trip together, he immediately jumped on the plan.

And it's to the Gold Coast.

Going down on Calvin is perfectly fine by me but going Down Under with him? Uh. I might have to rethink.

why me!
What's the grouse about eh?

I should be able to summon enough enthusiasm for the trip but I simply can't! Not sure why though since a travel-whore like me's usually the first to impulsively pack up and go! Unfortunately to me, Gold Coast City and its sultry environs remain just a city. A spanking modern metropolis with its share of scenic places no doubt but still a generic city to me. Malls, condos and the beach. Sorry but I've already done the urban OZ journey with a two month trek from Melbourne to Sydney.

I'm sure I'll soon have some patriotic denizens of the Gold Coast whaling on me! :O

But it doesn't have the kasbahs of Marrakech. It doesn't have the flea-markets of Beijing. It doesn't have the spice markets of Istanbul.

Yes. I need my retail therapy - apart from my usual chichi cultural stops - monuments, galleries and the museums. But most importantly where the fuck am I gonna shop for chic trash after all!

Then again, Aussie guys are HAWT. And they do have a Surfer's Paradise.

So I can be persuaded. Tell me, what would you do in the Gold Coast?

14 comments:

A Lewis said...

Now, can you tell me: Is Going Down on Calvin different than Going Down Under with him? Funny, I've been perusing some AussieBums recently. And this does nothing to steer me AWAY from them.

Jake said...

I totally didn't know what the Gold Coast was until I looked it up.

I would deffinently go. It seems like you have a stable relatioship going, this trip could be really exciting. I would love to go on a trip just with my significant other (if I had one).

Sue said...

Why does Calvin want to go? Couldn't you go just to be with him? Maybe snorkel and look at pretty fishies? Come up and look at pretty Aussie boy?

Quentin X said...

Well, you are quite right: there is not much 'culture' going on here. But then again, you might reconsider going for chic haute couture instead.
If the alternative is what you are after, you can drive past the border to NSW in the hippy town of Lismore. I heard the Gold Coast hinterland is also worth the trip although I have not been there. You can also have a three course dinner while soaking up Australian culture at the Australia Outback Spectacular while perving on Aussie cowboys 'horsing' around. But then again, you can just sit back on the beach and perve on half-naked buff guy.

Quentin X said...

Or you can come up and see me in Brisvegas.

D-Man said...

Oh Sweetie-Darling, as you wonder if the Gold Coast will be stimulating enough minus the 'kasbahs' and exotic flea markets, you must REALLY come to North Central Idaho.

Here we will thrill you with such fave past times of truck repair, hanging around and drinking at the auto parts store (although Napa Dan is HOTTTT), driving an hour into town to do the shopping, mucking out the horse stalls, and watching the wheat and lentils grow.

Now, how can ANY other place compare to that?

Anonymous said...

You said it yourself. HAWT Aussies. :)

Soul Seared Dreamer said...

Hey Paul.. its been a while. How are things, hope well.

See way I see it you could always go down on Calvin Down Under. Somehow I found that very funny.

Go, at least you'll be able to determine what holidayin with the guy will be like. And yes Aussie guys are HOT.. that's more than enough reason to go on its own.

TJay said...

OH LORD! Not sure where I should begin with this one...

However, spread out on a towel on the beach and watching the 'beef on the hoof' walk by would be quite amazing. I think that I'd have to get a prescrip for 'salt peter' though.... Not that they'd be looking at me in the least bit.

A man can dream though...

You can do without retail therapy just a bit to unwind from finals and the crap that you've dealt with on rounds.

As a fellow travel-whore (and I NEED TO GET AWAY SOON), I know that you can make your own fun. Calvin nude on the beach with a can of whipped cream or honey? Ring toss with rounds of pineapple on each other?

Noodles and knick knacks be damned... There is time to relax and have sweaty monkey sex!

(WINK)

Jason said...

Haiyo, you've been doing all those exotic retail theraphy (and going to do that again this July in Bangkok!) so take a break from that and go somewhere sophisticated lah :P

Anonymous said...

Thanks to everyone who supported me. I hope he will change his mind. Really wish that he can come with me.

Ganymede said...

Generic city or not, there are TONNES OF BOYS! Surfing boys too. Me likes.

robin said...

Sandwiched in between your Charming Calvin and the hawt aussies, the question should be "What WON'T you do in the Gold Coast?" :P

Anonymous said...

I think the shear fact he wants you to go with him should prove persuasive enough. However, having been there and not infatuated with discoveries of the Gold Coast will allow you two fellows to indulge yourselves into each other opposed to the city.

So, go down under and go down on him there too!

-C