Monday, January 07, 2008

Physician Heal Thyself?

A physician who treats himself has a fool for a patient.

Sometimes that extends to family as well. One of the oft-spoken - and yet rarely followed - maxims in medicine is NOT to treat any member of your own family.

After all, who hasn't gotten the odd request for a home visit the minute we put on that white coat? Bet even Hippocrates got midnight calls to ride out to his niece's cottage to treat the ague.

Despite the indigent relatives clamouring at the doorsteps to knock for a free medical referral, chances are the well-meaning advice will usually be taken with an extra pinch of salt and patent disbelief, followed by a general consensus to seek a second opinion. Almost impossible for that aged Aunt Sally to accept the provisional diagnoses - and suggested treatment - of the beloved dimple-faced nevvy she actually diapered way back when.

Sally : Can you tell me what this medication is for?
Paul : Well it's usually used to treat hypertension. In fact it was...
Sally : OMG. You are so cute! You sound almost like a real doctor.
Paul : Grrrr....

Henry Cavill!
I am a doctor! REALLY!?

Seriously. None of that joshing helps in building the confidence of an earnest newly-minted doctor brimming with humanitarian ideas just out of medical school.

Especially when it's obvious that when it comes to our own family, our medical judgement is already somewhat impaired. Emotions cloud logic and rational thinking, and it takes quite an unfeeling android to be able to separate head and heart completely. Either we take it much too lightly ( disastrously sometimes! ) or we take things far too seriously.

Me, I tend to lean towards the latter. And sometimes fall overboard with my nightmarish worst-possible-case scenarios. Err on the side of caution? I do far more than that! A mild spike of temperature seems to be the terrifying beginnings of the exotic tropical Chikugunya Fever. A throbbing headache seems to be the unwelcome omen of an incurable brain tumour. A simple trip on the kerb would have me dragging them off to the casualty department for an X-ray.

So you can easily imagine what I envision when my friends call to tell me they've just sent an unfortunate relative to the hospital. Not for me boring mundane clinic referrals and endless pharmacy queues. Immediately I leap to the erroneous conclusion that said relative is lying moribund in the intensive care with tubes and paraphernalia coming out of every available orifice, pumped to the gills with inotropes galore.

11 comments:

MrBunnyBan said...

I believe Jesus of Nazareth faced the same problem in his hometown.
mark: But Jesus told them, "The only place a prophet isn't honored is in his hometown, among his relatives, and in his own house."

jamie da vinci! said...

my professor told me once that a little knowledge is good. but a lot of it can drive ppl insane! not that u are paul. keep those differential diagnoses coming! :)

Anonymous said...

A close friend of mine used to work for his dad. He was never taken seriously nor ever could prove to his dad that he knows exactly what he's doing.

His dad would always treat him like a 'son' and use that 'dad always knows best' statement to stamp out any disagreements.

Professionalism? Not a chance.

TJay said...

Adjusting Mr. Twain's quote for thy own purpose? Heh heh...

Or were you looking at "a Doctor is his own worst patient"?

The question remains will they take your advice and expertise or will the seek out the local Shaman?

William said...

@Ban:
Tak sangka see you quoting the Gospel here.

When things go well, takpe, but when things don't, kena lagi teruk than strangers.

Quentin X said...

Us drug dealers are just as bad. It was a bit embarassing when I showed my balls and was told by a dermatologist that all I had was psychosomatic dematitis. :)

joshua said...

Chikungunya was one of the answers to my last midterms. LIKE WTF... Malaysia got meh?

I'm dumb but I always assume Dengue before Chikungunya.

nyonyapenang said...

Okie.....I need to have your number pasted on my wall. :)

Aleckii said...

Oh, how true! Every year when I'm home for my summer break uncles and aunts come to me with their problems (I'm just a medical student by the way...). I'd really be glad to help them in anyway possible, just to listen, but like you said, when it comes to relatives, your judgements are clouded.

savante said...

I am indeed stunned by ban's comment :O

I'm sure a lot of crazies work in the hospital, jamie :)

Working for my dad. Trying to imagine it but I think I'd go a bit crazy as well, titillate.

I think I might recommend the shaman for them, tjay :P But I have a few cousins who are doctors so we can band together.

William, aren't you amazed at the things that bring back the faith for ban? :P

Psychosomatic dermatitis! How did you dream it up, quentin!

That came out for your exams?! Why, joshua!

Well jason has my number, nyonya.

Just tell them what you think but refer them if you want something to be done, aleckii.

Paul

D-Man said...

"And sometimes fall overboard with my nightmarish worst-possible-case scenarios" Yes, I suffer from that disease, as well. It is most debilitating, but I'm working on it...