Thursday, January 17, 2008

Love is Blind

Love makes us blind.

Well, make that at least some of us. Somehow love has never blinded me to the faults of my partner, perhaps it even serves to enhance their manifold flaws from my ISO's indecisiveness to Calvin's grumpiness. And for me, that's alright since I never claimed to love a saint.

And then there are the fortunate ( or unfortunate depending ) few who look at love through rose-tinted glasses, finding romance a frothy bubble of champagne. Of course a cynical sod like me would think that bubble looks just ready to be pricked.

One of them being my childhood pal, Beercan Boy. Talk about looking at that broken heart half full! Despite being unceremoniously dumped by his last faithless lady love - and later searching for desperate solace in a bottle, Beercan has taken to rebound like an ugly duckling to water.

Been a while since I last saw him sober so when my ISO texted me for a mandate with Beercan Boy, I agreed readily. A soused straight boy with a broken heart? Can you say ready for new enlightening bicurious experiences?

I was so there.

Unfortunately he met us yesterday without alcohol in hand and rather than the perpetually morose, red-eyed look I'd started to associate with him, Beercan Boy seemed almost giddy. I wondered whether he'd downed some vodka earlier without telling us.

Seemed like Beercan Boy had met someone new though - and he couldn't help gushing like a giggly sophomore on her first date. Despite the raucous gin-soaked atmosphere of the neighbourhood bar, I felt almost as if I'd been transported back to our high school cafeteria.

Intentions!
She's so NOT into you!

However as my ISO and I heard more about this new winsome paramour, we found ourselves shaking our heads. Together. In accord. Very uncommon, I tell ya. It's like God & the Devil shaking hands on a cosmic deal ( didn't they? ).

My ISO : Wait a minute. You were not invited to her birthday party.
Paul : Despite buying her an extravagant gift. Nicely wrapped with a bow as well.
My ISO : Then she left you alone on your birthday.
Paul : And didn't even send you a note. A card. Or even a present.
My ISO : Yet you got a secret gift from someone else.
Paul : And she isn't in the least bit jealous. Then she went on a business trip.
My ISO : And bought you nothing despite your sending her to the airport and picking her up.
Paul : Not even a fucking fridge magnet.
Beercan Boy : But.. she was busy...
My ISO : Should I say it?
Beercan Boy : Say what?
Paul / My ISO : She is so not into you.

God, we felt like Oprah rejects.

Isn't it obvious that she wasn't into him? Or have I ( and my ISO ) become jaded? Don't know why he can't seem to grasp that novel idea but it's quite obvious that blind infatuation has shut down the critical faculties of his brain. At the moment, his pure untainted goddess can do no wrong in his eyes. Judging by his previous relationship where he remained painfully oblivious, he probably wouldn't even believe if she stripped bare nekkid and lap-danced in a thousands laps ( and he'd find a lame excuse for her indecent behaviour even for that ).

For Beercan Boy's sake, I hope we're wrong of course since twice hurt seems far too cruel. Even for someone with his peculiar jinx with the ladies. So what say you?

Don't worry too much about Beercan Boy though. He's a big boy after all - and he has wicked buds like us to watch over him so if ever this seemingly manipulative bitch screws him over...

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol. that sounded like a Miranda moment from SATC! :)

Janvier said...

Rebound. Period.

Jason said...

Denial period.

asm@di said...

what a bitch! at least get beercan boy a fridge magnet for pete's sake, even if she's not into him.

Unknown said...

i wan my fridge magnet too damnit! =p ahaha~

Anonymous said...

what's ISO?

p.s. I'm a new reader :)

Ganymede said...

Ah poor guy.

Maybe he should watch Moulin Rouge countless time like what I did. And cried countless time too. Don't die Satine~~~

But then again, he's got you two. :P

A Lewis said...

I must say, my hubby is much better at "being blind" than I am. I am a realist to a fault, I'm afraid.

TJay said...

"Love may be blind" but this sounds like besotted infatuation which is basically "NEARSIGHTED"!

As long as he's not singing that "No Talent Assclown" (Michael Bolton) 'Time, Love and Tenderness' then he still not teetering on the edge of the precipice

D-Man said...

Yeah, it usually takes at least 5 years to develop that sort of indifference... They should be in the cuddly 'love is so new and fresh' stage.

You're right: Definately not into him.

nyonyapenang said...

Truth hurts like hell, so he chose to look the other way?

Andrew said...

you'll never have a partner if you're always looking, or worse, searching, for his faults.

so if they aren't all that bad, don't ruin what you have by stressing them everytime you're with him.

having said that, that woman is a bitch and that man is in denial :p

Mr RM said...

Denial and rebound, I'm living that moment now... sigh

savante said...

So glad you guys all agreed. Well mostly :) Snce my ISO and I spent hours talking him out of his infatuation. Will see how it goes for the next few days before I put an update on Beercan's situation.

nemesis-on-fire said...

totally blind.

coming from a girl: i only do that to a guy if i've told him countless time i am NOT interested in him, please DON'T buy me presents, we are NOT good for each other, and OMFG-LA... FUCKING LEAVE ME ALONE, will ya?

but to make use of a man to send me to the airport and pick me up but not even get him something small in return is downright bitchy. no can do. bad bad girl.

and ur poor friend is a blind blind blind boy.