Saturday, August 12, 2006

The McDonald's Connection

While at work, food supplies are usually scarce. Given the choice of unappetizing, tasteless hospital fare - what I term hardly fit for human consumption, sometimes it's preferable to remain hungry rather than take your chances with Unrecognizable Pre-colonial Leftover Lasagna. Unfortunately other than the drab diet doled out to us on sterile metal trays, there's not much in terms of choice when it comes to food - unless we brave ourselves to stomach what's being served in the darkened depths of the cafeteria.

Occasionally due to popular demand ( actually the mournful cries of the starving medical staff at work ), the medical attendants are obliged to go out in search of sustenance on their trusty steeds. Nowadays food delivery's a viable option but even then there's not much variety. Abroad - courtesy of the desperately hungry, hard-working immigrants such as Ah Chin and Ali, we might have the choice of egg foo yong and the ever present tandoori chicken but over here we are only left with the ubiquitous pizzas and burgers since no one else delivers.

The frequency I make that call for a McDonald's delivery was made quite apparent to me when I dropped by for a quick milkshake. Although Mr Alfalfa-Sprout himself, Big Bicep Barry, shook his head in silent condemnation while muttering some platitudes on a healthy diet, he was forced to accompany me to that disreputable den of fast food iniquity since he'd kept some of my CDs hostage for a quite sometime.

When I approached the counter for payment, the unexpectedly friendly chorus of calls that greeted me - by name and designation - had me shrinking to the ground in embarassment. WTF? Calling me DOCTOR in public?! For a crazy moment, I imagined they'd all somehow been patients of mine with some mysterious illness but such a malady affecting the whole lot would certainly have made the national news - if not guaranteeing instant closure of the family restaurant.

McStaff : Has been a long time since you ordered delivery, doctor!
Paul : OMG. I .. I..

Seriously, it's hard to speak coherently when half the patrons of McDonald's have swivelled their heads to appreciate the dramatic scene. Even the usually gregarious Barry seemed a bit stunned by the unwanted atention and had surreptitiously faded silently into the indistinguishable background - quite a feat for a man his size!

Drink Milk
With those abs, bet he has never taken a milkshake!

Took a while to detach myself from the unexpected fan club but I managed to convince them that I wasn't into signing autographs on their aprons. Obviously I've been tipping the delivery boys a bit too much. After managing to flee the scene with my fatty grease-laden goods, I circled the restaurant with my order before taking cover in a relatively secluded portion behind a large pillar.

Barry : You order delivery? That often?
Paul : Not that often! Really!
Barry : Lying!
Paul : Maybe once a week? Not sure how they can recall!
Barry : Sigh. You do know how much calories...
Paul : Calories. Cholesterol. Bla bla bla...
Barry : Just so you know! Why McDonalds?
Paul : Because KFC doesn't deliver?

I think he almost choked.

And then he sipped on his lonely cup of orange juice while I supersized myself on my apple pie, nuggets and chocolate milkshake. Kept a surreptitious eye around and prayed really hard that no one there would choke on a chicken bone.

Still I'm obviously lovin' it.

29 comments:

Petie said...

Choose your meal wisely Doc, otherwise you might end up feeling worse than before you eat :)

I don't think they serve the shake menus in BKK anymore...

Dave said...

2 months ago when i was enlisted in the army, my bunk mates told me i need to shed weight so that it is better for my health. I told them: i didn't had any meals from Maddie's for 2 years. They were taken a bit aback. No Mc for 2 years??

And the next thing i knew, i go on a strict diet for 1 1/2 mths. Now, i want to lose more weight than ever. But doctor Paul, how can i achieve that, since i am recovering from my leg injury??

Anonymous said...

I thought I would miss McDonald's so much since I moved here in Oslo, my partner and my friends simply abhor that American tradition, what with all its fat and salt content. Well, not so much, apparently. And for some reason, after having a double cheeseburger, it seemed I don't want to have any more McDonald after that.

Sue said...

Now that is embarassing...

Annie said...

mcstaff? McSTAFF? *laughing out loud, snorting* Too funny. Obviously, you haven't seen the documentary "Super Size Me".

After watching that, I have NEVER stepped foot or have gone through another McDonald's drive-thru for even one french fry. Chicken McNuggets - if you only knew what they fed the chickens, you wouldn't come within 2 miles of the stuff. Blech. Sorry, Paul. I know it's your only option, go for KFC if you can. Maybe.

Jack said...

I'm nowhere near muscle guy, and I don't eat there!?

pakcik said...

oh..makan mcdonalds didnt invite me :(

haha..me will go for Chicken or Beef Foldover only. Ala Carte..havent had milk shake for more than 3 years already.

N Paul..u should complaint to KFC, n demand them to introduce delivery service. who knows..my next year, KFC staff will recognise u after this :)

Kihu said...

All the fastfood outlets is EVIL EVIL EVIL EVILLLLLLLLLLL... I hate them! MAKE ME FAT!

BAN McD Ban KFC Ban BK!

Anonymous said...

I love McD's sundae! Well, unless if I can afford myself a Haagen Dazs.

I took Foldover mostly nowadays, value for money.

Seems like we do have something in common, dear.

Musang said...

now thinking of that, KFC should do delivery, shouldn't it?

and the kedai nasi lemak also should do delivery. in fact everybody should do delivery.

save money and time. (and because i'm just lazy) :)

Maximus Leo said...

I'm so not going to drink again! After a hard night killing my liver, I'm going to have KFC today! At least this meal will soak up the access alcohol in my body....Thank GOD for KFC and fast food restaurants!

MrBunnyBan said...

Heeee, so funny. You're character too noticable lar, doc.

Mmmmm, Aussie burger...

Patrick said...

Fattening...fattening..but then if the cute deliver boy serves those foods in the my bed...ahem ahem..delicious.

nyonyapenang said...

perhaps the mcstaffs see you as a walking advertisement - a charming doctor who feeds regularly on McD. if it's good for the doctor, it should be good for everybody!

that's why they called out to you loud enough for everybody to hear.

hahaha....

hrugaar said...

I don't mind having staff recognise me quietly, that's nice if you're a regular customer. Having most of the restaurant turn their heads the full 180° Exorcist twist to stare, that I could certainly do without!

We have McD's, KFC etc., but I hardly ever seem to go to them here on the rock - only when I'm travelling on holiday in other countries, heh.

Derek said...

Which part of KL you working in? KFC doesn't deliver? ;P

Anonymous said...

I haven't had milke shake for ages not because of calories... Because it requires me to suck so much and my jaw gets tired....oh wait a minute, I hop I am not bad at "sucking" for a activity. Frappucino requires the sucking activity less. :-)

S said...

He probably has a secret addiction to McD's, too, and goes to one in a different city where no one knows him.

Loved the little comment at the end, but you forgot the "ba ra pa pa pahhh" part.

Just Me said...

I like McDonalds. I just had it the other day but I am trying to be healthy these days.

You should start a food delivery service for other different restaurants, it sounds like it could be a good business.

allan said...

kfc does not deliver??? that sucks bigtime. boycott kfc... heheheh.

NeiLDC said...

You know what i love mC is Sundae Caramel and Apple pie, in MAnila, BANANA LANGKA(JACKFRUIT) PIE.. yummy..anway, at least you had once in a two weeks would be better.. and as i alwauys do is my SUNDAE CONE ICECREAM was a nice dip for french fries.. try it.. DOCTOR.. ooops, did i said that?

Anonymous said...

Ahh, to return to blogdom to read about that infamous international unhealthy food chain....still with the best fries around, so long as the employees stop being so blood-pressure conscious and POUR the salt on! I'm smiling over that....The good doctor is a celebrity at the local Mickey D's! :)

Anonymous said...

McD's all time fav meal, well..not too often or else I get kindda sick of it....

Anonymous said...

OMG!

ENVY said...

Macdo i'm loving it. thats a good idea fot todays meal! i wonder if the bombing will stop as promised and we have a Macdonalds feast:)

Jay said...

I must be the only person in the world to watch Supersize Me and develop an immediate craving for McDonalds.

Las montaƱas said...

When I smell a MacD burger, i immediately get a reflex puking.

So, between this and those slimy, brown, gooey hospital "braised chicken" on rice, I think I'll do a fast.

savante said...

Pete! No shake in BKK!?

Whoa. How much weight did you lose, dave?

Mark, you don't miss it? At all!?

It was kinda embarassing, sue.

Go for KFC whenever I can, annieee..

joel, true. Barry does tend to walk away if he can.

You hardly makan at McD anyway, I know the sort, pakcik :)

Ban?! Open more, famezgay!

Calvin, you already singlehandedly supported McD by buying up all their sundaes :P

We should petition KFC to deliver, musang!

See, ian. Take KFC rather than drink!

Noticeable character? me? What's with the Aussie burger, bunny? Go eat some meat!

Very few cute ones unfortunately, patrick.

Possible. An evil plan, nyonya!

They stare and it's scary, ru.

Never delivered anywhere, derek!

Thought you'd prefer the sucking, shigeki :)

Didn't know exactly how to add that final riff, steven. Thanks!

Trying to be healthy? Does that mean KFC, cr? :P

It does suck! Damn then, allan!

Ooh, neil, you are making me hungry.

Usually take the fries with less salt, brian.

Not everyday lah, qua vadis! Just once a week or so.

Why, tear!

Hope it does stop, envy!

So did I, jay! Yummy McD!

Puking?! Why las montanas!

Paul

Xavier said...

Dishy, calcium in milk inhibits accumulation of fat around the abdominal area... so i bet the model DID drink milkshake... and on a regular basis somemore :p

just like our lanky lex