Thursday, August 10, 2006

Just Like Your Mama

Surely in their tempestuous teenage / tween years, it is every little girl's deepest nightmare to grow up to be exactly like her mother. Although most women would vociferously decry such a unfilial comment, I know that more than a few would consciously balk if told that they resemble their mothers. It takes time, age and experience to appreciate a mother's wise, womanly ways.

So what happens to gay boys? Que Sera, Sera but do we resemble our fathers or our mothers more? Quite hard to tell on my side.

Well you see, my maternal side is full of seriously anal-retentive, tight-assed neatniks. Brooms, dust cloths and vacuum cleaners are never far from hand and immaculate perfection is the essential goal of these squeaky clean scrubwomen :) Quarterly family reunions are spent spring cleaning over serious discussion over what natural ingredients goes into the best furniture polish and which store sells the cheapest dishwasher. Dust, cobwebs and cockroaches run silently screaming at the sight of these cleaning witches. Even the slightest speck of dust would seriously unhinge their sense of self - and since I've seen one of my Siamese cousins throw just such a hissy fit after finding a dust ball in her bedroom, I can confirm that it's hereditary.

Always prayed that the clean gene would skip a generation but I noticed my brother showing the tiniest signs of anal retentiveness years back ( when he alphabetically organized his books, arranged them in perfectly orderly stacks and colour-coded them according to year and subject ) and lost hope knowing it was practically inescapable. Still I imagined that I'd be able to suppress the gene since I'm the more scruffy tolerant sort. After all, I do get back on weekends to find my own home relatively awash with dust and cobwebs and it doesn't drive me to wail absurdly while flapping my hands helplessly from the balcony like Rochester's mad wife.

Well, okay I did it but it was only that first time.


The houseboy taking a break

Can't recall what happened afterward but I resurfaced a few hours later with my bones aching and literally covered in a grimy mixture of sweat, dirt and furniture polish. Unfortunately I didn't have a sexy half-naked houseboy on top of me.

Even when I became a doctor ( obviously the clean gene rearing its previously submissive head! ), I consciously forced myself not to turn into one of those superior obsessive-compulsive creatures with a Mr Monk fetish - a fate most of the nurses have unfortunately fallen prey to. Although I worked hard to remain aseptic when need be, I tried my best not to fuss over the little things like that impossibly minute cobweb dangling on the ceiling fans that would have the matrons and the sister getting their het up. Thankfully I have to say that I successfully ignored the blood spatter, the baby vomit and other secretory bodily fluids I better not name. Life would have been quite impossible otherwise.

Then I came upon Charming Calvin's Cosy Crib. Been a month since he moved in - yet the boxes are unpacked, the television cabinet woefully bereft and the walls scandalously bare naked. All that I could probably live with - despite the eye twitch I'm developing :) Then I came back early to his place today and decided to take a short nap before my hard-working man came back from work. Seriously domestic bliss, I know. Dropped my head on his pillow and looked up to see .... Charming Calvin's Creepy Cobweb Collection.

Bet the neighbours are still talking about the unearthly preternatural shrieks coming from that apartment upstairs.

17 comments:

Harvey said...

I believe the cobwebs and untidy surrounding aren't the only reason that culminated in the preternatural shrieks.

A Bear in the Woods said...

I bet you gave the neighbors a nice warm snuggly feeling, with those shrieks. I hear they've been hoping for Calvin to get his "room cleaned".

hrugaar said...

'Every woman dresses like her mother: that is her tragedy. No man can: that is his.' ;oP

Anyway, even if you find your home a tiny bit dusty when you get back of a weekend, I'm sure it doesn't stay that way for long ... we know your Bree van der Kamp tendencies from earlier posts on this blog, heh.

Doing friends' housework and/or gardening is kind of my natural impulse (my friend Caroline invites me to stay on the basis that her kitchen sink is pining for the attention, heh). That's not because of an inherited neatnik gene though (not unless it skipped a few generations, heh) it's just because I like to see the smiles on their faces when I saved them loads of work.

Then again, maybe it's just a feeble attempt at justifying my own existence. ;oP

Just Me said...

I am a combination of my mother and my father.
I worry way to much like my mom but I have my dads bad temper.

Annie said...

For SHAME Calvin. I'm so disappointed. Cobwebs! It's practically front page news.

I'm so sorry it couldn't be handled in a more tasteful manner, but hey, sorry dude, you're famous... Thank you for reporting Dr. Paul. You may find a step ladder or broom and sweep the ceiling clean. Since you're at it, could you come over to my house too? .. and NEVER tell me I'm like my Mother - I'll KILL ya ALL!
Do we understand each other?

nyonyapenang said...

i know of a few guys who does their own cleaning and mopping but somehow i suspect they got problems with their necks. they are unable to lift up their heads to see the cobwebs decorating the ceiling!

Anonymous said...

Tsk Tsk Tsk!! HAHAHAHAHA

Gosh!! I think I have cobwebs on the corner ceiling of my bedrooms also...anyone want to volunteer to be my houseboy and clean it for me :P

Anonymous said...

Who do I resemble eh? Hmm mom, never daddy as he's way too quiet unlike me :P But I am gay as well, but never resemble my dad :)

But I dun dress like my mom of coz else I might need a trans, haha jk

Xavier said...

jaw dropped to the floor :p

(but after putting on a surgical mask)

:p

MrBunnyBan said...

Ooh, cobweb collection! Should put it all in a bottle and knit a sweater. :D

Taking the name of Saint Paul seriously now, are we? ;)

Legolas said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

*Kneel down on both knees on the floor with shame ala Japanese style*

I'm sorry everyone... I should've been more hard working... I will accept any kind of punishment put to me.

hrugaar said...

Hey c.calv, you have been hardworking ... just not at home.

But offering to accept 'any kind of punishment' is bloody dangerous with the skanks and kinks that frequent this blog, y'know. ;oP

Ganymede said...

I look like my dad but queer like my mom. Wait... That didn't sound right...

Musang said...

you scream at the sight of cobwebs?

lol.

savante said...

This time, it was the only reason, harvey :)

Snuggly feeling? I thought I heard a few doors slamming shut with locks thrown, daniel.

Cleaned the place somewhat, ru. Couldn't do all the rooms. Didn't feel like being a maid for the day.

Whoa. Bad temper, cr?

You do resemble your mother, anniiieie :)

Isn't it weird of guys, nyonya. I even cleaned his aircond cover.

You dirrrrrty boy, quavadis!

Dress like your mom... gotta see that, prince :)

Why jaw dropping to floor, xavier?

I am a saint! Refer to the name, daniel.

While you're down there kneeling, you might as well do something else, calvin :P

GASP. What skanks and kinks, ru?

Queer mom? Defiant, I knew there was something non kosher in that house! :)

Musang, I do!

Paul

S said...

If it makes your brother feel any better, I got my cleaning tendencies from my mother, Martha Stewart.