Friday, August 04, 2006

Something Tobey about Him

Lonely late nights with the telly does give rise to all sorts of crazy speculation. Since I had a day off the next day, I figured staying up late for a while wouldn't kill me. Sleep is still unbearably precious to me but a postponement was in order when I had something riveting on the telly. Not everyone's as dedicated to the wacky wonders of television as I am but I'm one of the drooling couch surfers who watch almost every series during primetime. Perhaps it's the chips, the semi-grogginess or the flickering telly but while I was caught on a late night rerun of one of my favourites Pleasantville, something clicked resoundingly in my head.

And it wasn't the beginnings of an aneurysm. I hope.

As you all would know if you'd seen this deliciously provocative film a while back, Pleasantville tells the tale of two fractious siblings who find themselves permanently stuck in a wholesome squeaky-clean television series in the idealized all American 1950s, a black-and-white world devoid of crime, poverty, sex--even bad weather. The brother and sister duo find themselves finding out that the world certainly doesn't look the way they left it before as they find themselves mired in a fantasy world of apple-pie, cherry coke and empty textbooks.

Bud

Trust me, it's much less kooky and out-of-this-world as I make it sound. Certainly far more provocative and definitely worth a watch.

While watching the slow-talking, bashful brother Bud deal with the world where the road only goes round in neverending circles and the weather's always unusually fair and sunny, I suddenly realized that he reminded me quite a bit of Charming Calvin.

Seriously. Those curious few that have been wondering who's this dude Calvin, let me briefly explain.

All about TobeyNot so much the looks - though there's a certain passing resemblance there - but definitely the slow, methodical way of speaking, the perfectly slicked back hair, that serious, reserved look on his face.... the seemingly shy sweet guy you know would freak if you suddenly stroked his thigh with your foot in a public restaurant. What more a sweaty five-minute quickie in a public men's room!

Incidentally the character Bud was played by Tobey Maguire. Yeah, the buffed-up shy guy with the glasses. Never actually found Tobey all that desperately hawt - you know, the kinda desperately sexy guy you'd fuck standing on the wall, but I guess I'd better rethink that. :)

Hmmm... you know, maybe I should get Calvin a Spidey suit.

Funny the things you think about at one in the morning.

15 comments:

hrugaar said...

Yeah, Tobey. :oP Made that connection a while ago la. Thought I'd mentioned it - maybe I did, and it triggered in your subconscious, heh.

Not sure about the Spidey suit though ... you might get given a Doc Oc suit in return, heheh. ;oP

Kihu said...

oh... wow think lot of us will drools on charming calvin now if he do looks like tobey ahaha!

S said...

Uh, can't stand Toby.

He reminds me of an owl whenever he's onscreen.

Ganymede said...

Ooo. If Charming Calvin wears a spidey suit, I think more than my spidey sense will ring. :P

Anonymous said...

hehehe.. i LOVE pleasantwille too. ;-) amazing movie, really! and actually, ive started liking toby from spidey 2 - not so much spidey 1.

so, are u dating this calvin guy? ;-)

Anonymous said...

Saw Pleasantville a while ago. I liked it a lot. When things started to change, they had to try and hide their true colors. It reminded me of us gays having to try to hide it when we first realize we are different. I think Tobey Macguire is a hottie.

Anonymous said...

He used to be very pretty... used to be... I guess how you age is an important part. :-)

Annie said...

I vaguely remember this movie. It had subtle messages mixed in. The pros and cons of the utopia world we all wish for. The clones. WOW! Calvin has Tobey's mannerisms.. interesting.. I do know this uniqueness you speak of. The actor is very quiet, as if seeking to blend in, but secretly has a charming smile and sweet personality that'll have you dazed for hours. Well done Paul. Nice to meet ya Calvin.

Patrick said...

Oh yeah. Should get him a spidey suit...want to know where to get those costume? I might be able to help :)

Just Me said...

My sisters tell me I look like Tobey, I don't think so but they inssist.

I think he is cute and I like the character in the movie you write about, wholesome, sweet, innocent. My type of guy.

Rick Bettencourt said...

Pleasantville is an excellent movie. I'll have to rent it again...I haven't seen it in years. Tobey is a hottie.

Harvey said...

Doctor examining spidey...... that's good role play. ^_^

Anonymous said...

Hello Annie. :-) Thanks for the descriptions. I think Paul needs to write like that. But you're smart. Heh.

savante said...

Maybe it did, ru!

Wah, you can go drool over him then, famezgay.

An owl? :) Heh, not gonna comment on that, steven, since calvin might read this.

Wouldn't that be cool? A spidey suit, defiant!

Yeah, dating this calvin guy, closetalk!

Yeah, that was exactly what I thought too, ed! Hiding their true colours!

Shigeki, used to be pretty? :O

Thanks, annieeeee... obviously calvin thanks ya too! :P

Halloween's coming up. Will keep that in mind, patrick.

You do? I need pics, cr!

No argument there, rick.

Wah, harvey's into roleplay!

Paul

Las montaƱas said...

many types of leos. but your description here seems to indicate a leo that has virgoan (the next sign) characteristics.