Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Spirit of Solitude

Never be fooled by appearances. That's a really true adage, I find.

Can certainly blame this latest epiphany on Charming Calvin. From all appearances - especially from my blog posts, it would appear that I'd be the friendly, gregarious sort who's always ready with a witty quip, comfortable and perfectly at ease in a crowd of relative strangers. Calvin who usually remains steadily silent amongst people while I chatter away seems strangely bashful in comparison.

Which is far from the truth actually.

Paul : Gosh, look at the time. What should we have for dinner? And don't even suggest Chili's.
Calvin : Not sure. Why don't we ask Ah Lian #2 along?
Paul : Who?
Calvin : Oh, just someone new I met. Thought it would be interesting meeting up.
Paul : Who?
Calvin : It's fun.
Paul : Huh. Meeting up is fun?!

Realized that I'm actually quite the homebody when our closet partyboy Calvin insisted on neverending weekend excursions with a whole gang of like-minded mates ( all on permanent speed dial ) when I'd prefer lazing around at home flipping through the telly watching mindless reruns or slowly going through my endless tower of unread novels. :)

Lonely hunk
All by my lonesome

Honestly I think I might be more a fan of solitude than he. Not sure exactly why but perhaps my star sign does speak to me that way - and we all know that unsociable singleton Scorpios certainly don't mind living in that dark, lonely lighthouse far out on some stony outcropping lashed by the angry waves of the treacherous sea, partnered only by a hot man, some books and a stable broadband connection. Sometimes when the dark mood strikes, it's actually preferable - for the safety of everyone in the vicinity. Oddly enough, Calvin ( our budding Leo ) on the other hand actually enjoys crowds - certainly the more the merrier as the saying goes. While the thought of meeting someone new gives me the shivers, there is nary a hint of hesitation in him even at the thought of being summarily thrown into a heaving sea of unfamiliar half-naked male flesh at Liquid.

Okay. Bad example. I certainly wouldn't mind being tossed into that particular ocean myself especially if the general meet-and-greet bit is confined to tongues and gropes. Still, you guys get the general idea.

Don't get me wrong. I like people, love new friends after I've gotten accustomed to their faces but the sheer awkwardness of a first meeting always turns me off. Just that I've always been the hopelessly tongue-tied nitwit with strangers - which leaves me extremely uncomfortable and ill-at-ease with meeting someone new. Slowly getting over that particular phobia but it's taking some time coming out of the proverbial shell.

Surprisingly, everyone else I know doesn't seem to have any such problem at all. Come to think about it, even my ISO and Big Bicep Barry practically thrive on crowds. Even partyboy Handsome Hui isn't exactly averse to meeting unknowns!

Hell waddayaknow! Opposites do attract.

...***...


Still, on other news... Calvin finally got a queen sized bed.

15 comments:

jayandkay said...

Meeting new people can be awkward at times but you'll end up liking crowds like Calvin sooner or later I'm sure.

Sue said...

I, like you, am a loner. But I married a gregarious man. He brings people home and after the initial awkwardness of meeting them, I then have new friends that I didn't need to go out and get. He makes it easy. I hope it works for you too! :)

Kihu said...

oh queensize bed! uhmnn more space for u 2 keke!

Life Cafez said...

Woww... From a single bed "upgrade" to a queen size bed, sound so romantic wor! Will need a baby basket soon,lolx..

Practice safe sex yar, hiak hiak...notti of me :)

Xavier said...

hehe, queen size bed.... must be very busy on the bed i presume?

hrugaar said...

Hm, solitude and singleton don't usually denote the presence of a hot partner.

Meeting new people is fun, but I need to do it in smaller groups. My problem with crowds is mainly a physical reaction - it's the sheer level of noise and number of bodies around that gives me a kind of vertigo, throws me off balance. I'm usually okay if I can lurk in a corner and people-watch, but oherwise the sensory overload does me in. It's rather frustrating. :o\

nyonyapenang said...

i suppose some people need a little more time to warm up and get going.

Las montaƱas said...

A leo? you better be making sure he gets attention and all the luxury you can afford. Very expensive to upkeep! :)

MrBunnyBan said...

Queen-sized bed! Looks like there's more fun in store for Calvin. :D

Annie said...

Calvin is a Leo? Holy lions. I'm a Scorpio and my hubby is a Leo - we have silent storms between us. While he searches quietly for ways to be the all powerful, I use sneakiness to pull the rug right out from under him and have him fall on his ass thinking "WTF?" Lions don't impress me, but he does keep me in line. I enjoy folks who I already know. New people like to catagorize you first and there's pressue to make a good first impression. Not worth the effort, I think.

Jay said...

The more people you meet, the more options you get. Put on your best dress and go hedge your bets, hun.

Anonymous said...

Attention and luxury are Leo's best friends. Heh heh heh...

I guess I'm putting myself in danger here.

David & Tom said...

What is he seeing?

savante said...

True enough, jk. Trying now.

Isn't it goo that we like gregarious men, sue?

True, famezgay. I like big beds :P And we're alays safe, lifecafez.

Not delivered yet, xavier.

I know. ru, I'd prefer to lurk and watch too!

Lots of warming up in my case, nyonya.

Agreed, las montanas. See, even Charming Calvin says so.

Not to mention for me too, daniel.

Ah, you are so right, annieieee...

You have given me a good reason to meet new people, jay :)

Not sure, david.

Paul

Ning said...

True true. Calvin is amazing that way. Did he ever tell you how Steel became one of us? We weren't in the same class, let alone same gang in school. But during uni time, he bump into her and after school he kept in touch with her and found her a job.

Another example is a senior who worked in Singapore. He also asked me to go to her house during CNY, just thought it's fun to meet up.

I would have lost touch with both of those if not because of Calvin. As my default invitation reply is: sleep at home la so lazy...