Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The Dreaded V-Day

It's certainly the day dreaded most by some of my pals who find themselves woefully single ( or separated ) on this day. Most have already made plans to stay home alone, no doubt to dish up some Rocky Road while wailing away to the beloved karaoke tune of All By Myself - just like the infamous Bridget Jones.

And I wonder why. It's time to celebrate your fabulous singlehood, certainly not to moan and groan over month-old ice-cream. So go out grab a couple of youthful ( and not so young ) singletons and party the night away.



The rest of us committed joes have Valentine's to plan.

Honestly haven't had a decent Valentine in years. You'd blame the fact that I'm not a romantic mushy hearts-and-flowers kinda guy but that's not the real reason. Just go through my archives ( as I did ) and you'd find that I was either working, abroad or he's in another state. Certainly not conducive for romantic meals by candlelight ( or by the wonky Sony Ericson cellphone LED light ).

Scotty!
So what are we gonna do now?

Obviously that has led to Charming Calvin making some noises.

Calvin : Is it my timing or do you always have something on during this time of year?

Coincidentally enough, I actually do. But sometimes I can't help it. A last minute change in scheduling isn't possible in a department as large as mine - and far from welcome. So as much as I'd love to take off for the next few days, I doubt the roster maker would be amused by my sudden change of heart.

But despite the fact that it could be quite a rush, I think dinner tomorrow is on the table for sure. So mamak anyone? :)

12 comments:

ikanbilis said...

me and my girl friend will be boycotting the V day, as we are still single until today. therefore, we also plan to celebrate it in mamak!

oooh teh tarik =)

Elisha said...

happy vals day hunny! heheh, i think i might end up celebrating with my parents =p cant get any worse than that! =)

rainbow angeles said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

Everyday is Valentine's Day when you are in love! ;)

Anonymous said...

Dedicate to him the video I made for V-Day. Go find it on my blog. :D

TJay said...

Valentines - Bleah! I can feel the bile rising in my throat!

How about thinking about what supposedly occured to St. Valentines to create this holiday?

Nothing worse then suffering their greeting card inspired and insipid twisting to get you to buy, buy, buy.

To celebrate it, I give you my 'Ode to Dickens' with a twist...

"Those who find it cutesy and those who sell this mess should be staked through the heart with a red rose and boiled in their own melted chocolate!"

Still, I'd give good Yuan to see Shane's video.. ;-)

Anonymous said...

You've got the right idea...let's celebrate singlehood! Happy V. Day!

Janvier said...

We should be thankful we've never been bitter (or not so bitter) about Valentine's our entire life then. One thing to be thankful about was the money we saved not spending on Valentines.

Jason said...

Apparently, I didn't rant about being single. Did I?

Glog said...

Valentines day was some comemarative day for St Valentine who was a martyr (If my history do not fail me) but I think it is utter nonsense to be only celebrating love today! I think it should be celebrated everyday and yes, I am pretty bitter as I have not celebrated valentines day before. Hence, i wish all those who are celebrating today, Happy Val's day! from the ver green eyed monster...

LOL...

Glog said...

Gosh my spelling...

Commemorative day...

Anonymous said...

lol. happy valentine's day, u coupleton. (hehe.. opposite of singleton) i agree with ya on being single and having fun on V-day, though.. sigh.. bombay was FUN! :)

savante said...

Hardly boycotting, ikanbilis. It's just an alternative celebration.

Happy V day to you too, raisingmercury. Hey, your first loves are your parents so you should spend the night with them.

Definitely true, angeles.

Eeeks. Diabetic, shane.

Muahahah. All too true. But it gives me an excuse to dress up for dinner, tjay.

We should celebrate singlehood everyday, boy!

But we gotta spend on them now, janvier.

So you should, jason. But it's not a rant. YOu should be enjoying singledom.

He did meet a horrid end, glog.

Whoa. What did you do on vday then, closets! Coupleton. I like that word!

paul