Tuesday, February 19, 2008

The Best Laid Plans

I think I've found a good reason why doctors never have social lives out of the hospital.

It's not the stress. It's not the work. It's not the antisocial personality trait ( no doubt triggered by the shocking crowds we see every day ).

It's the time factor.

Waiting
Waiting... and waiting...

Seriously. It's almost impossible to coordinate our schedules to match. For example today - spurred on by the success of our earlier sausage fest, a group of us actually dared to make highly optimistic ( rash? ) plans to meet for dinner and a movie. Penciled it in for after 6. But you know what they say about the best laid plans!

Figuring on arriving early at the designated meeting place, I tried my best to finish up all my work. Fortunately ( or astonishingly ) I didn't have all that much to clear today. However, our work ... can be unpredictable to say the least. And making appointments seems to be the best way to jinx it.

Inevitably something crops up. That Big Fella up there is obviously in cahoots to prevent us from having some fun.

Doctor : I'll be damned late. My patient just collapsed and I have to attend to him.
Paul : Eeeps

Doctor : I can't make it. Two of the patients came late to the clinic.
Paul : Eeeps.

Doctor : I was just walking out the door and my junior officer rang me up for a consult.
Paul : Eeps.

Reason enough that we only all met almost an hour late - and even then, we all arrived at staggered intervals. Don't make dates with doctors ( not at least without confirming them! ). We hardly ever turn up on time.

10 comments:

Medie007 said...

Bwahahahaahahaahhahahaha....

what to do. u chose the job. u've got to make the sacrifice. no?

Anonymous said...

Oh my, I just remembered my favorite Just Like Heaven. But yeah, this job needs a little sacrifice.

Anonymous said...

And yeah, the best laid plans ... like promises ... are made to be broken.

Crazy Sam said...

Most of my gay friends are medical students. But I will keep your words in mind if at all I'm dating a doc. :p

Jason said...

That included in my "reasons for not dating a doctor" list :P

Glog said...

And Gry's Anatomy makes it look so easy...

You can date a doctor, sleep with a doctor, do it in the OR room or back home, marry one if you fancy him...

And then reality check...
Gosh, I gotta check out of my fantasies...

PS I have always fancied doctors...
LOL

chase / chubz said...

ahhh its the time factor. i thought its the god complex. hehehe..
just kidding.

savante said...

A lot of sacrifices. And more to be made, I'm sure. Gonna be a busy coupla months.

D-Man said...

Ok, no dates with docs. Unless it involves a rubber glove and KY.

dak/james said...

antisocial personality trait?

as a medical student, many refer to us as schizoids...

i think i have schizoidal tendencies... tsk tsk tsk...