Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Curl Up & Dye

Thank God for my hair.

Not that my hair's always been such a stellar personality! Despite being ruthlessly straight ( no doubt God's attempt at cheap humour ), my hair sticks out in entirely different directions like the spokes of a wheel. In fact half the time, it uncompromisingly resists my futile attempts to tame it - turning into an electrified Godzilla on a bad hair day. On a good day, it falls into place nicely ( after being whipped into submission ) only to seep enough crude oil to rival the recent South Korean environmental disaster.

Even on the best of days, it manages to irk me by casting the occasional stray snowflake.

Point of fact though.. I don't treat my hair really well, subjecting it to daily painful scrubs, lackadaisical finger-combs and the occasional sadistic hair-pulling ( when I'm work-frustrated ). There was also that memorable time I cruelly bleached it ash blond to resemble an intimidating DVD pirate for a month in June. Apart from that brief flirtation with harmful chemicals, I usually don't have it rigorously styled by so-called mavens of hair design such as berry, cherry and other assorted fruits ( unlike others I could name ). Instead I have the 12-minute speed demons in the Jap-inspired booths go at it with sharpened shears and gleeful ( experimental? ) abandon.

Tom Cruise
Next guy who laughs at my hair eats this bullet!

Yet today when I was hailed at work by a white-haired octogenarian, I found I had reason to rejoice in my hair.

Octogenarian : Paul!
Paul : Uh.. hello? Yes?
Octogenarian : Hi! Remember me? I'm your classmate, Elderly Joe!
Paul : Joe? OMG! Uhh... you look well?

How did he expect me to remember? I had him mistaken for Gandalf dammit!

Seriously, rather than age gracefully with that distinguished touch of salt-and-pepper to lend gravitas, he'd gone almost terrifyingly grey! An aging, sickeningly morbid grey! It was as if he'd taken a debilitating twenty-year leap into the future. I was half expecting to hear news that he'd encountered a frightening near-death experience recently - thereby turning prematurely grey as urban myth ( and tragic French queens ) would suggest.

Tom Cruise
Yikes! The wear and tear of old age?

Certainly spurred me to check myself out in the nearest mirror. Did my best to resist tugging all the gray hairs out on crazed impulse since we all knows its similarly-hued pals will surely attend the funeral! Surely Samantha Jones can't be wrong about that! Yeah, sure I do have the occasional stray grey here and there but it's still fortunately an even regular shade of dull black.

From a distance.

I'm over 30 but not thoroughly decrepit yet. Thank God for His little graces.

Though maybe it's time to reach for that Clairol Grey-Buster.

7 comments:

asm@di said...

one of the things that i fear most is my hair turning grey. that, and also turning bald (yeah yeah, call me vain) fortunately only one or two grey hair have so far materialised itself (note to self: check hair for possible new grey hair)

i'm dreading the day when i have to reach for that clairol grey buster.

p/s ash blonde paul? what were you thinking?!

TJay said...

Whatever! ROFL!!! Come talk to me when you find your first grey hair on your chest!!!

Hence the need (although it's never been to thick) to keep it trimmed; hides it and makes it look blond, LOL.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to adjust my artificial hip, pull out a bottle of Garnier Nutrisse "Brown Sugar" coloring and put on a mustard plaster while I avoid looking at clothes in the AF catalog and wonder why I can't be that young anymore...

;-)

TJay

Andrew said...

Oh yeah, I've meet a guy in university with white hair....shocking!

My dad's 57 and still has his full head of hair and only a few countable strands of white hair.

My mom (58) on the other hand is totally grey!!!

So may I follow my father's side (Malay) and not my mom's side (Caucasian)...*amin :p

William said...

Add a dash of colour. Be a La La Doc!

Unknown said...

i first encountered strands of grey hair on my right-hand side.a few, that is.but now..i notice a few more strands on the other side pulak..huhuu..im really realy old d :(

David The Man said...

Yup, dying the hair will do the trick to cover white or grey hair! Sometimes, I get this one strand of gold hair and I plucked it out, and got amazed and surprised at how on earth can I get a strand of gold hair stuck on my head.

savante said...

Hey, you're still young, asmadi! No touching grey buster! ASh blonde? One of those days.

Grey hair on the chest! The horrors, tjay!

Both my parents are graying but my mom has unnatural red hair, shah :P

Been there, done that, william.

Not that old, soloact!

Gold hair. Yeah, that happens sometimes, davidtheman!

paul