Monday, December 24, 2007

Two Slaughtered Birds

And A Party in the Pantry.

Have I told you I hate markets?

No, not the cool, sterile, air-conditioned convenience supermarkets that a growing number of us urbanites have grown up with. Wouldn't surprise me these days some town kids imagine that milk comes ( not from a bovine betty! ) but from a plain rectangular tetra-pak box.

Pining
How to milk a cow!

Think old-fashioned markets of yesteryear - at least over here in Asia - with endless rows of colourful ( often mysterious ) produce presenting a vigorous assault to the senses. From the eyes with the vibrant colours of the fresh vegetables energetically waved right in front of your nose by the overenthusiastic grocer. From the ears with rousing yells coming from the boisterous butchers added to the cries of the lusty fishmongers along with the clamorous din of the customers bargaining at the top of their voices. And there's the nose - the ever-present ( almost overpowering ) scent of fish and meats mingled with the slight taint of herbicides from the greens.

And the slosh. The mush. The gunk. Fish guts, meat entrails, whatcamacallits and everything else that I simply couldn't ( and wouldn't dare ) to name.

Reason enough that I avoid the place as much as possible. Swimming in mystery excrement simply isn't the ideal way to spend a weekend. Have you ever tried to get those impossible stains away?

Still for reasons I have been unable to fathom, my mother simply lives for such moments. When she found out that the Christmas shindig was growing immeasurably larger than the intimate gathering I had originally planned, she practically clapped her hands with glee. The thought of wading through all that mulch obviously puts a light spring in her step.

For me, I find myself dragging my feet.

Mother : There's always something new. A new vegetable. A new fish.
Paul : Hallelujah. Who will buy? I could sing like Oliver.
Mother : Show some enthusiasm!
Paul : You can make me get up in the morning to drive you here but you can't make me enjoy this.
Mother : Ooh. Look they have quail's eggs for only 3 bucks.
Paul : Eeew. I think I stepped on something. Don't tell me. It's someone's brains. The last victim of the midnight market murders, I'm sure.

No, I'm not a fan of squishy feet.

13 comments:

Ryan said...

Tell me about it! My mom used to drag me to the morning (wet) market few years back (when I was still studying) to help her carry all the things she bought. Urgh, those things... disgusting!

TJay said...

MERRY CHRISTMAS PAUL...

I hope you have the most wonderful Christmas and an awesome New Year... speaking of 'the new year' (subtle poke, GRIN)

TJay

ruff nurse-du-jour said...

oh gawd im not a fan of markets either...

but i used to recall fond memories of market trips when i was younger. and i just know that asian markets, just like what we have in manila, could be a bit, er, un-appetizing. :-)

right?

season's greetings doc paul. happy holidays!

Jaded Jeremy said...

I have fond memories of such market, especially the pasar besar in my hometown. I wouldn't hesitate accompanying my parents if needed.

Have a Happy New Year. Please send my greetings to your parents.

Anonymous said...

but i do like to accompany my mum to go market. guess that's the only time i could be with her alone heh

merry christmas and a blessed new year to you Paul :)

A Lewis said...

Makes it very clear why I'm pretty much a VEGETARIAN. Ick.....Happy Holiday Greetings!

Anonymous said...

hehehe.. i hate the ole markets too.. gimme a cart, AC halls, a supermarket trolley ANYtime! :)
merry christmas.

Unknown said...

i love going to the wet market with my mum =p its like a bonding thing la. we'd pick up veges and think wat she should cook them with=p and its like super fun, cuz there's so many squishy things on the floor~ haha. good ol memories. =p

merry xmas paul~

CRIZ LAI said...

I think it's time for you to get a pair of boots Paul... haha.

Merry X’mas and a Happy New Year 2008. May this year and many years to come be filled with peace, love, joy, health and wealth :)

http://www.crizlai.com/

queerbarbie said...

merrrrry christmasssss!

ethnwg said...

merry christmas! ;)

chase / chubz said...

i don't like going to wet markets either..
but on other markets (dry) hhehhe... are okai by me..
the fish and smell really sooo un-yummy.. heheh

savante said...

YUCKS. I know, ryan!

POint taken, tjay :P

Will make sure I have a blast, ben!

OMG! I so need to try those duck eggs over there, ruff nurse.

Fond memories? Eeew. jeremy. Why aren't you coming back?

Accompanying mom is great. It's the market that isn't so great, boy and aaron.

But... meat is ... impossible to live without, lewis.

Same here, closetalk.

Phua Chu Kang boots? Since I'll never wear my leather boots to market, criz! :P

have a great one yourself, queerbarbie and ethan!

Makes us stay away from the market, chase!

paul