Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Four Tangled Hearts

Three Insomniac Men
Two Slaughtered Hens
And A Party in the Pantry

I'll admit it took a helluva long time to finish but it's sorted! Finally. Hallelujah. Talk about a last-minute Christmas Miracle!

And thankfully it was worth it.

Let's face it, we all have our silly little problems with our friends and lovers - oh boy, do we have! - but this edgy, stylish BBC dramedy certainly puts all the little tiffs in perspective ... since corblimey, no one could be as seriously messed up as these bunch of friends, seeing as how they all get hopelessly tangled up in a huge web of lies :)

Pining
Tiga Sekawan - Nathan, Fi and Jase!

Sinchronicity revolves around the pivotal protagonist ( who also plays the wry, cheeky narrator ) Nathan and the sexual misadventures of his hip 20-something friends, Fi and Jase. Set in the mean urban streets of Manchester, the clever plots hinge on serendipitous ( or otherwise ) and seemingly inconsequential moments that prove ultimately crucial for perfectly flawed strangers looking for love in all the wrong places. Coincidences don't seem so entirely random in their world since just missing a bus could mean the difference between a tragedy or a happily-ever-after.

And best of all, we have a budding ( though heavily closeted ) gay romance embedded in the sado-masochistic love triangle as the troubled Jase finds himself struggling with his sexuality ( and his increasingly ho-hum relationship with Fi ) when he meets the deliciously seductive Mani.

So you have in a nutshell... Nathan who loves Fi who loves Jase who loves Mani. Did I mention that Jase and Nathan are best friends?

Ah, what a tangled web we weave.


You know there has to be a reason I'm in love with the show, right?

Tangled hearts always get trodden on when relationships go sour after all - a fact made even worse when the protagonists are all somehow intimately connected. Reminds me of my somewhat sordid school life when my socially-hyperactive classmates were all busy dating, doing and dropping each other, sometimes all in the space of a week - a far cry from my stodgily attached pals now! Recess at school was even better than a particularly racy episode of Gossip Girl, I promise you. Imagine the juicy gossip. Can you tell that I loved it?

I've always liked a little spice in my life after all. Though of course I remained an unlikely watcher back in school, always standing apart from the tangled romantic conundrums while I wrestled with my own sexual proclivities. Forever the humorous sidekick back in high school since I didn't feel like starring in my own romance. Like kiss a girl? Like eeeww, she has cooties!

So to catch up on all the hysterical social drama I missed, I guess I did turn into quite an addict :P

7 comments:

Janvier said...

Like Alex says puts it, you're a drama addict. :P

Ryan said...

Wow... cool! You finally got to see the series! Nice right?! I still can't forget the scene where Mani pushed Jase onto the sofa and... make out!

Ah... HOT!

Jason said...

So did you get the DVD as requested? :)

William said...

Looks like "2 Guys, a Girl and a Pizza Place", sans the screwed up sexual tension. Hehe.

Quentin X said...

SBS in Australia is not showing it until March!

Alex said...

You need a healthy dose of non-fiction.

savante said...

I am I am I am, janvier. And proud of it as well.

I will always think of tectonic plates and smile, ryan.

Looking hard for it, jason.

And much more sophisticated humour, william. Sort of.

Then make sure you catch it, quentin.

Non-fic is boring, alex!

Paul