Monday, December 10, 2007

Have you Facebooked today?

I'll admit. I have the occasional whim but I rarely follow through.

Which explains the multiple entries in every new internet fad that comes through. Ever since fresh face Hotmail came onto the scene way back when I was in secondary till the not-so-recent Facebook, I've always been curious enough to try them out first. Can you tell I like new toys?

Of course I'm not so hot at recalling my passwords. FYI, I pick my passwords at random seemingly out of thin air - it could be the admission number for a patient to an African musical instrument. Or a combination of both. Which explains why I can never quite remember.

Do they recognize fingerprints now?

Umbrella
Maybe people will notice me on Facebook if I have a shiny umbrella... ella... ella...

So after rifling through the dusty corners of my brains ( senility doesn't help ) for a day or two, I finally found that particular folder marked Facebook with the password scrawled across. Yes, I registered a while back but never actually got around to doing anything with it.

And boy, did I find myself seriously flabbergasted! Not by the flashy applications, not by the snazzy games ( such as an entranced Strapping Shane ) but by the people. The world's certainly getting a lot smaller - at least technologically speaking - since my old classmates that I half imagined had fallen off the edge of the world actually still exist.

Albeit a few literally at the other end of the world.

Bet we never thought as grubby kids in blue shorts throwing gum at the nerd in the front of the classroom that we'd be scattered all around the globe : an architect in London, a doctor somewhere in the US and even an engineer in Japan. Hell, one of them's sailing on a cruise ship somewhere! Quite a number are married, one is even divorced now - and a handful have toddlers running about ( and a coupla stepchildren too! )!

Life happened. And we sure have wandered far from whence we came.

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's get facebooking! :)

Jake said...

It seems that many social circles require Facebook these days. I was all about myspace in high school, and once I got to college -Facebook was the thing you had to have. It's actually been useful in some ways. And a lot of my cousins are on it that I don't talk to much anymore, so it helps me keep in touch with them when we're both in school.

David The Man said...

What about Friendster then? It seems like an in-thing now.

Anonymous said...

A lot of the social networking action is moving to the new site Yuwie because it is sharing revenue with the users.
http://r.yuwie.com/johnrp

poof said...

Hey Doc! its time to add me to ur account!

Zyklon22 said...

A lot of people are hooked on facebook. I personally don't see the addictiveness much :S I still see it as a platform for strangers to anyhow request an add without any introduction and it somewhat annoys me. Like a modern popularity contest where everyone races to increase their number of friends...

Janvier said...

That Facebook has Scrabulous and Bogglific does make our day, them word games to while off some free time...

deeperanddeeper said...

Signed up months ago, didn't bother to quite fill up my profile except the basic required fields, no pics, but somehow ppl managed to find me! Scary... I feel it's more like "collecting- acquaintances/friends-in-the-net-and-see-who's-got-the-most" kind of thing....

Jason said...

Eh.. add me add me. You'll see me in Alexander or Janvier's profile.

rainbow angeles said...

FB is actually quite something... I found schoolmates whom I've not seen for the past 16 years! Found 'em thru' my school's alumni group :)

But I don't like the part where they asked you for your email add and password so that you can "find" your friends from your address book... I didn't give 'em... I went around looking for the ppl I know...

BTW, I stopped Pirating :P

Anonymous said...

And here I was just on lonely little MySpace to shamelessly plug my singleness and my writing...

What was I thinking? ROFL!

BTW, where did you find the pic of the tall drink of water poured into those pants... Good thing the camera was angled so otherwise we'd be able to make out what God gave him... then again, that might make it better...

ruff nurse-du-jour said...

i have always thought that friendster is passe, or better yet, friendster is dead, which is, actually, but it just reincarnated into facebook. i actually have met co-workers stalking me over those sites, memorizing my profile, assessing my connections, even perusing my testimonials.

i guess it won't be long before i see my personal images downloaded, and actually appearing as my stalker's laptop screensaver. :-)

now that's a sight to behold.

chase / chubz said...

hehehe.. the irony of life

Anonymous said...

LOL. Bless your heart :-) FYI: I love your header image!