Saturday, December 08, 2007

Tales from a Weird Carpark

Isn't it unusual that something so familiar can change its face in the dark of night?

In the minutes just past midnight, the regular carpark turns into an unearthly Pan's Labyrinth of hair-raising twists and turns with unknown terrors at every corner. Where a regular hum of human activity brought the place to life barely hours ago, now there's a deathly hush broken only by the sound of my faltering footsteps and the occasional snap of a broken lightbulb. Regular nondescript pillars turn into eerie fantastical black towers where maleficent creatures of the darkness lay in wait for their next unsuspecting victim.

Half suspecting the doors of the elevator to slash open with a dour lady dressed in scarlet holding up a decapitated chicken still dripping with its lifeblood.

And I'm wishing that I really had a Golden Compass to show me the way to the ticketing counter ( despite the fact that the juvenile heroine in the movie was a bit of a wimp and there were no hotties in sight apart from a grizzly Daniel Craig ).

Would be great to have a daemon accompanying me right now - though I have a feeling it might be cowering under my shirt even now. What can a sly red fox named Athenestia ( Anaesthesia? ) do after all? Maybe it would be better to have an armoured bear instead.

I hear a snap and my heart skips a beat. Gripping my Christmas packages tight in hand hoping it's substantial enough to make a dent ( well I did buy a whole lot of books ), I turn the corner with bated breath.

Nasty
Do you need some help?

The agonized scream I have lodged in my throat comes out in a whimper instead when I glimpse salvation!

Four half-naked men repairing a ceiling light. Begs the question how many Chinese men do you need to fix a lightbulb. There is a God. Not all of them are sizzling hot of course ( one had a middle-aged paunch after all ) but one of them was young, virile and delicious - and it was as if I'd achieved the One Ring after travessing the entire fantastical lands of Middle-earth.

In between thanking them profusely for not turning out to be frightful denizens of hell ( and eyeing the succulent Chinese hunk who was smiling all the while no doubt enjoying my discomfiture ), I find my way to the ticketing counter unmolested. The hunk waves a farewell - flexing his sculpted biceps quite fetchingly.

A pity. I certainly wouldn't mind having his rough, calloused hands on me.

5 comments:

Annie said...

Now why do you think we don't have half-naked gorgeous men working on parking lot lights in the United States? We have ugly old smelly fat men chewing tobacco doing who knows what. Malaysians are so lucky.
Dear Paul, who is that man on the top of your blog? I don't recognize the face?

joshua said...

hmm which mall was this? hmm

LoL such sweet winking repairmen around huh?

savante said...

That's James Marsden, anniiiieeee!

In MV. Seriously! Go look, joshua.

chase / chubz said...

hahahaha.. virile and delicious.. hahahahaah.. funny!!

Annie said...

OH MY! That smirk there almost clue'd me in but I had to be sure. The X-men, Notebook Stud James Marsden of our time. What a lovely looking species of a man. Thank the gods you decided to put him on your header.