Friday, December 21, 2007

Deck These Halls

What's the opposite of the Grinch?

Well whatever it is, that's what I turn into come Yuletide season! Let's be frank, I admit I'm pretty much a shopaholic who shops almost all the time ( the rest of the time I work and sleep ) - but seriously during Christmas, I go just a bit... crazy. Think of it as a visitation from the Ghost of Christmas Sales. Shiny baubles and cone-shaped firs trigger something that simply compels me to shop.

It's like my usual frugal inhibitions have gone on vacation ( not that there were that many in the first place! ) and any notion of austerity flies out of the proverbial chimney along with the reindeers. So what if I'm desperately in debt with my creditors? All bets are off.

Victims
Shiny! I want it!

Everything previously untouchable and way too expensive suddenly seems miraculously cheap. It's like the Christmas Miracle. Egyptian cotton sheets. French linen. Thai silk. Anything and everything that comes with even the most minimal discount seems like a bargain.

Paul : Ooh. 10% discount. I've got to have it. Damn, it's so cheap I might as well get two. Why not three? And there's a voucher if I spend more so I might as well get the chafing dish as well. I'm sure someone will need it for a housewarming soon. Ooh, look at that Hermes scarf! My God, 15% discount! I should get it for my long-lost cousin.

It's a syndrome I tell ya. I should be stopped! Don't even get me going on the sinful number of glass decorations I bought - and then had my niece cram the tree with so much ( like an overdressed Mak Datin ) that it's almost imperceptibly tilting to one side :P Even the kitchen has gotten into the Christmas spirit this year.

Just amazed my credit card doesn't go into meltdown.

... ooh.. online shopping.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

i also wan glass deco paul~ =p will u be kind enuff to tk me out shopping wit ur credit card? haha =) i'm easy to please.. take me out for a shopping spree. i'll be grinning ear to ear~
haha ur xmas sounds, superb

Quentin X said...

They don't call it retail therapy for nothing. Might not be cost-effective but it sure is therapeutic.

Anonymous said...

now WE should walk around in malls swinging the paper bags. lol

overdressed mad datins tilt to one side too? :p

Janvier said...

You should know that medication isn't cheap nowadays, right? We didn't set our card on fire yet, but it sure did feel warm. :s

Ganymede said...

How does your tree fit all those things you've bought?!

Jake said...

I'm sure that once I'm out of college and have a steady job, I'll be just like you. I like to over buy on christmas!

Bryan Anthony the First said...

i sooo get you dear...

i bet you have arch files and arch files of card bills.

charmed life you have

woof!

merry christmas!

A Lewis said...

Sending you the warmest of Holiday greetings......wishing you wellness, peace, and lots of pretty men!

David The Man said...

Hmmm... shopping addiction, I see? Credit cards, if not used properly, can seriously burn a hole in your pocket.

And I sure bet your Christmas tree will topple with those things fixed onto the tree. You have bought just too many things to overload your tree... hehehe... pity your tree...

Jason said...

Kaki shopping ni...

chase / chubz said...

my oh my..
shopping!!! my favorite hobby