Thursday, November 22, 2007

Shiny Baubles and Sweet Potatoes

The shopaholic wins again.

With the hopeful contender left behind biting the bitter dust having to content himself with his tawdry little shopping bag.

Come All Ye Faithful!

Somehow or rather ( providentially - I call it an early Christmas present ) I got the day off due to some silly scheduling snafu. Not one to look a gift horse in the face, I slipped off stealthily telling no one and headed to the mall. No doubt it's still a month away ( though it seems the red banners and the buntings are up infinitesimally earlier each year ) but there's nothing quite like getting the Christmas shopping done, is there?

So why not start early? After all I had mine done way earlier last year.

Sales We Have Heard on High!

I know Christmas is slowly but steadily stumbling drunkenly away from its humble spiritual beginnings but hell, isn't it just as fun to celebrate mindless materialism too? No doubt goaded on by the evil godless demons of advertising!

Temptation
Buy me. You know you want to...

You just know Satan ( no doubt has a share in all those unholy credit card companies ) is gorgeous stubbled hunk in a slick Italian suit sitting somewhere in the depths of hell chuckling wickedly even as the sales register ring. Why wreak evil and havoc in the world when he can gain so much more from the masses by pandering to crazy consumerism? I mean, have you seen the mindless chaos during a midnight sale? Certainly more bloodshed and betrayal than a gathering of Borgias.

Hark the Sales Registers Sing!

So I ended up with four CDs, three books, one DVD series and a bunch of shiny red glass baubles. And shockingly, half of them are actually meant for me. Which is better than the compatriots I dragged along. Sadly after dozens of stores, all Jaunty Jared could come up on the shopping trip was a lil box of shiny baubles and some limp sweet potatoes.

Still, I'm glad to find myself almost halfway through Christmas shopping. Only stuff left for my father - have an eye on a book on satirical political humour for him. And perhaps some Osh Kosh B'Gosh for the toddlers two.

Not forgetting my friends and I are playing Secret Santa this year. Wonder who I'm gonna get. On that note, I better get to working on my wish list this year!

11 comments:

Ryan said...

And I was like working my ass off in the office knowing that you (the bitch!) happily shopping in those fabulous malls with christmas decoration?!

Geram betul!!! >.<

Anonymous said...

eh eh... the kuih keria is still good... not limpy at all :P

Alex said...

Please gimme your platinum card... it'll be the best Xmas ever for me!!!

A Lewis said...

HELP! I've just got to get past TURKEY DAY first.....please, oh please.

Medie007 said...

oooo so u DID go shopping... nicey. :P

Janvier said...

A good thing we don't need to shop for Christmas decorations (well not until we get our own place!). Oh we did end up with two CDs for ourselves and ideas for everyone else.

P.S. The Samy Vellu book is so going to be yours.

Ganymede said...

I want PSP! Can ah?

Anonymous said...

since people are listing down their presents, please swipe a BMW 645ci for me kind doctor, it will be the bestest gift ever. lol

Fine, i'll tone it down, maybe an LV wallet instead, it would go nice with the 6 series, lol

ethnwg said...

i want fab watch, can ah?

LOL

fyi, come 1st dec, it's the erm, YES! aka Year End Sale.

Anonymous said...

If I get you, and I open your wish list and it turns out to be Kenneth Cole boots - expect Captain Underpants instead. :P

savante said...

Ryan, you tak payah kerja mah. Lari for an hour.

I find that hard to believe, jared!

You have your own card, alex!

Yum. Turkey. Send some over, lewis! Feed the poor and the hungry!

I always go shopping, bong.

What CDs did you buy, janvier?

Now what does it stand for again, queer rant?

Wish I was that freakin rich, jon!

From Chow Kit? Okay, ethan :P

You'll get a spanking. Now I'm wondering who to give Capt Underpants too, shane.

Paul