Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Homosexualitatis Problema

Someone I know just came out to his best friend a day or two ago and received a painfully chilly reception.

Me, I haven't dealt with blatant homophobia yet ( just the occasional childish stupidity ) - not sure exactly how I'd react but I can readily assume ( with my potential for violence ) that bloodied fists and bruised panda-eyes would be the inevitable outcome. I know that's not the peaceful, non-confrontational way Gandhi would have advocated but hey, that's me.

Homophobe : Fucking fudgepackers riding the Hershey Highway. Disgusting. They should all burn to a crisp in hell. I mean do you - OUCH!
Paul : Oops. Did I just stick my fork in your eye? So sorry.

Sometimes I wonder how it is that someone turning gay could possibly disrupt the whole fabric of society plunging it into a shocking morass of depravity and licentiousness. Severe restrictions hinted in Biblical verse aside, what does the average red-blooded heterosexual guy think about us?

Boots
These Boots were made for Walking

Are they afraid of our outre fashion sense and our bitchy offhand remarks? Do they seriously believe that someone with the gay virus might inadvertently rub off and spread the alarmingly infectious plague of homosexualitatis? Or they might summarily be attacked and overpowered by these horny homosexual heathens ( reason enough to work out in gyms! ) who have lusted over their irresistibly attractive straight bods for decades? Is it possible that two guys registering for a domestic partnership could endanger the already shaky foundations of marriage? Explain to me how?

Pardon me for the sudden leap onto the battered soapbox again but when Iranian officials mouth off about executing gay men to safeguard the moral sanctity of the nation, I find myself personally offended. And they aren't only stopping with that tragic incident judging by recent news. According to a member of their parliament, he said that if homosexual activity is in private there is no problem, but those in overt activity should be executed. He argued that homosexuality is against human nature and that humans are here to reproduce.

I have to assume the two tragic youths drawn and quartered for their forbidden love wouldn't have dared blatantly promote their homosexual perversions out in the open ( public sex in the plazas? ) so the unlawful communion had to be secretly held behind closed doors. Short of having CCTVs or sanctimonious spies installed on the roof, wouldn't that be considered private and not overt? Obviously the self-righteous moral police over there share the same discriminatory homophobia as the ones who raided the gay sauna over here in Penang.

The boring old argument that humans are here only to reproduce holds little water for me. Does that mean the infertile and barren should be summarily put to death for not being able to reproduce anymore? Should they be stopped from getting hitched then since marriage is supposedly an institution meant to beget offspring?

And their enlightened methods of helping gay men is by execution? Isn't that pretty final? What happened to extreme pink triangle branding, enforced brainwashing and torturous ice water treatment?

Where's a gay superhero like Midnighter when we need one?

11 comments:

William said...

Midnighter? I prefer Rage. :P

Ganymede said...

Yea Rage! Would you be Rage? I'll be your sidekick. :P

Take me Rage, take me hard.

Ryan said...

Again! You go shout out loud! I'll be your echo!

沈 一 傑 said...

You are so cool, Paul!

Stephen said...

My straight friends are cool with it, they've even been to a gay bar with me.

In fact they enjoyed it so much, they've been back to the bar without me.

A Lewis said...

I think that the red-blooded, homophobic, males are frightfully afraid that they are more like us and have some of the same thoughts, than they'd care to admit. They get off on the same things we do....only with a chick. I'm really afraid it's the same emotions and naughtiness.

Anonymous said...

Maybe it's just cuz I live in an enlightened part of the world (New Jersey), but the reception I've gotten from straight guys is generally pretty cool. No one's been threatening to tie me to a fence and bash my head in.
Sure, there's plenty of bigots out there. But I feel like the sun is setting on that kind of thing. People are waking up to the fact that gay is ok.
Don't you think?

Janvier said...

*Sings* "If you were gay..."

Anonymous said...

how quirky that i was actually lookin for references to gay superheroes this morning! :)

Anonymous said...

Well.... reading your blog day by day, knowing about your thoughts, opinions, and life stories makes me realize that I'm really in love with you ^^ You're my prince charming, the man of my dreams... It's really a pity that I'm always attracted to unattainable Scorpio guys :P

PS: Whatever happens, I'll always be your faithful sidekick :D

Alex said...

How do you change a person's way of thinking? How do you convince a straight guy that you're not a threat to social morality? How do you challenge religious claims that homosexuality is wrong and against nature?