Monday, June 27, 2005

Post wedding daze

Penang has left me a blimp. Unfortunate but true. As those who have been to Penang would attest, it's just so hard to resist the lure of the food there. In one day, I had fried kuay teow, fried oysters, curry mee, assam laksa, mua chi ( one of my faves ), a sinful amount of seafood, teo chew porridge...

I gleefully told my ISO and he got all green about it. We messaged back and forth during the wedding.

Paul : So if I put on 50 pounds would you still let me grope you?
ISO : Sure. But you'd have to buy me dinner first.

Hell, guess I'll have to start keeping some money! :) That sounds easier than dieting and sweating it out at the gym as my ISO suggested.

Stud in a tuxWith all this talk about weddings...you might be thinking what wedding! Not it's not mine unfortunately but my cousin's wedding went on without any major mishaps. Apart from the fact that the groom had too thick a neck for his collar... and had to leave it messily unbuttoned with his tie askew. Seeing the tie I bought for him hanging desperately at the edges, I almost had an apoplexy. Feeling like J-Lo in the Wedding Planner, I finally dragged him into the backroom ( not what you think! ), forced him to take a deep breath, retrieved a all-purpose safety pin and clipped the collar together. An unkempt groom! It amazes me that we might share some genes!

One of the interesting things about a Chinese wedding is the tea ceremony. I don't know about the rest of y'all but I find the tea ceremony something almost essential in any Chinese wedding - and I would find it incredibly eccentric if the ceremony is bypassed for some obscure reason ( believe me, I have a few friends who have dispensed with it and then I had to talk them back into it ). Not only is it a good way to renew ties with the rest of the family - and give the unknown spouse a chance to greet some of her new odd relatives, in a Chinese family, it's also a chance to make a quick buck. Seriously! We're talking about gold and pearls - and stacks of cash here. And I'm not even going to mention the huge bling-bling that my cousin received from his in-laws. With his impressive size and the dirty stubble on his chin, he looked like a Chinese pimp rapper :)

The worrying part was my position in the tea ceremony. Tea is served by the bride and groom to their elders and those who are already married ( therefore stepping into a different stage in their lives ). The bride and groom are then served by their younger siblings and cousins - and those unmarried - in return for their red packets. So where do I stand? The gay, unmarried and older ( approaching 29!! ) guy?

I took the easy way out, shook their hands and got 50 bucks in return :)

My cousin took his wedding in a very lackadaisical way - just like nothing much was happening at all. Which amazed me! As usual, my relatives kept on nagging me about my singleton state ( so what else is new! :) ) and it was all I could do not to tell them that I'd be first in line to be married if I could! Even while we were celebrating, I could easily imagine myself in a love dove-gray suit with a rose pink tie ( neatly close-shaven with a collar that buttons! ). I've got all this great plans but no groom in sight yet. Maybe I should just give up and hire one :)

Especially since everyone expects me to be married soon. For some obscure reason, everyone thinks that I'm keeping some red-hot love affair secret. My aunts and cousins all think that I have something hidden in the closet ( well, they are partially right anyway ). Something about the cat got the cream kinda look on my face. Hell, I haven't gotten any cream in a helluva long time :)

Still in between naggings, I could console myself with the messages I kept on receiving... Sometime during the obligatory photo sessions, I received an SMS from Yummy Yee. All it said was.. 'Uncle! :)'

I guess some guys need to be taught a good hard lesson again.

8 comments:

Joel said...

I have never heard of the tee ceremony but it sounds very cool. Sorry you have no wedding plans in sight...I would volunteer to be your groom but, alas, I am taken.

Oh and maybe you WERE the last one...I was mistaken, we saw Batman on Friday...

One other thing...what the hell does SMS stand for? I know what it means, but what are the words for the acronym?

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul :)

I'm so jealous! My dad's originally from Penang, but I've not gone back in years!

SMS is Short Message System? Not sure.

Anonymous said...

*drops in* Chinese tea ceremonies are my second favourite part of the wedding. First part is always the wedding dinner, because I always hope for lots of scallops and shark's fins, and good food. What was your new cousin-in-law wearing at the tea ceremony? At my cousins' weddings, some of the brides wore glittering cheongsams for the tea ceremony; some were decked out in full, white wedding-cake gowns.

... it is, of course, a long-favoured tradition to be nagged at to get married. --And folks always seem to have such fun doing it.

Gr.

*snugs*

Will said...

Tea ceremonies are good! Money is good! Wedding dinners are better! You get to pig out on sharksfin and no matter what they say about saving Jaws, if DisneyWorld Hong Kong serves them, you should too.

And yes, please spank YY again and take a pic while you're at it...just for posterity, you know...

Jay said...

-sigh- I went through all that last year when my sister got married. "Wah, your sister all sorted already - now what about you, young man?"

You're right about making a quick buck there - it's especially lucrative when you're the 'kow chai', or the brother-in-law. The groom isn't allowed to get out of the car until you open the door for him. And you don't have to open the door until you're satisfied with the size of his packet.... -wink-

Sven said...

So how is this tea ceremony performed Paul? I only know the japanese one.

How about you hint the object of your desires is married? Set a nice scandalous family rumer a foot?

I bet you threw YY's sms in there to divert us, no? ;) Uncle, eh? :)

savante said...

Scotty, thanks for volunteering anyways :)

My cousin-in-law wore a hideous pink confection. Hardly anyone can carry off that colour - and she couldn't. :) But I can!

The wedding tea ceremony over here? Give tea, get money. Simple :)

Well, sisyphus, we do learn English here :) But there are illiterates running about!

Paul

Derek said...

Ahh, weddings. One of the most unbearable events ever, if you are not the groom.

Tis the season to be married, no? I attended one a couple of weeks back and weeshiong did too.

Anyway, I hope the next wedding you attend would be your own. ;P

Derek

P/S SMS=short messaging service