Saturday, September 06, 2008

Babes in Toyland

Channelling the stereotypical crytic asian ever ready with a handy saying, Charming Calvin recently came up with this - he claims that our behaviour at 3 will provide a window to our aged selves at the age of 80.

Owing to my approaching senility, I can barely recall even my primary schoolyears - apart from brief snapshots of sepia-toned memories that I half wonder whether I clipped from weekly reruns of the Wonder Years.

But I bet if I could look back, I'd find myself making something. Search around the attic and you'd find one of my dusty home projects. Always the arts and crafts fella even back in kindergarten - my busy lil hands making up DIY projects, drawing caricatures and building castles with the wooden blocks. Not forgetting creating mayhem with my endless prankster tricks. Quite a few tiny tots out there in the sandbox who got punked by me, I'm sure.

Learned pretty fast to cover up my tracks though so I rarely got caught. Anyway who would have suspected a sweet attentive pupil like me?

Balls
I think I'd prefer to play with some Lego.

Of course some things never change as Calvin says. I still doodle the occasional monstrous mutant colleague. I still do the occasional prank. And I still like building things. Hence my recent fascination with Lego building blocks. Scrap the recent - I don't think I actually ever left Lego behind ;)

Each time I bring my nephew to the toy store, I never fail to make a stop just to check out the newest gizmos to be found. Approaching the dreaded mid-life crisis, aging daddies clutch on desperately to their youth by purchasing phallic symbols such as fast cars and boy toys. Me, I get a second childhood. And Lego fever.

Seems like I'm not the only one indulging in such juvenile hijinks since I got inundated with excited queries from my colleagues ( some even older than me! ) once I mentioned a Lego Warehouse sale. Even an elderly matron sheepishly commented on the latest train set she bought.

And I'm certain they weren't all buying for their kids.

Now that I've probably embarassed myself by revealing my geeky Lego fetish, might as well tell you that I've got my eye on a certain fast-disappearing set! A Lego Market Street set with a three-storey shophouse full of graceful balconies, turrets and even a gargoyle or two. Now, come on, wouldn't you want to play with that? It even has a basket of fruits and vegetables for the grocer to sell!

Market Street
The Market Street Set

And I'm not even gonna think of the Green Grocer and the Cafe Corner set yet.

7 comments:

Implosion said...

LOL Lego!
I adore you and your stories. Will drop by again.

Glog said...

Lego?
Yay lego...
I so need lego now...
I actually took my brother's technique and built the tractor but I adore the buildings more...

Lego warehouse sale is something unknown to me... Tell me, where and when...

KA said...

what's wrong with legos? I used to play with them all the time and I loved them! I also loved toy castles- the kind that are fortified that had mini-canonballs... now that i think about it, I'm surprised I never choked on some of my old toys.

drownedglass said...

OMG. Lego! Warehouse! Sale!

OMG!

Anonymous said...

Ooh... I haven't played with LEGOs in years... but now you've got me craving for them little building blocks... Now what masterpiece can I build next? ;)

Legolas said...

But they're freaking expensive.

savante said...

Thanks a mil, implosion!

The warehouse sale wasn't that great but it awakened my lego obsession, glog.

Hey, as long a tough girl is playing, I'm A-ok! Thanks!

I know. We should start a club, dg!

Took out my Indy Jones Lego set to play with, life.

But so pretty, leggy!

paul