Thursday, April 20, 2006

Back to School Meme

Not sure where the rest of you guys got this School Meme but since Wingedman Will tagged me, I'm obliged to reply in kind - despite being maligned mercilessly :)

PonderingHow many schools did you go to?
That's easy enough to answer, I guess. Went to an all-boys missionary school - extremely common in these parts of the world actually. Unfortunately unlike cheap gay orn, nothing untoward ever happened that I ever knew. Cute boys showered and divested themselves of clothes but no sucking and slurping noises followed immediately afterward. Still, school was an idyllic time for me :) Since we were all classmates since primary, we didn't exactly have all that many cliques in school.

Was I the studious nerd or the last minute hero?
Despite what most might think, not all doctors headed the nerd team back in school. Although my hideous homely features would suggest my inclusion into that select group, I was actually on the fringes of the goody-two-shoes group - and there were actually a number of others who would certainly qualify for biggest nerd. I was probably what would count as a last minute hero back then. Always cracked the books at the last moment. Oddly enough, despite my sadly average results in school, I somehow slipped through the cracks to enter medical school.

Only started mugging on a daily basis when I hit medical school and realized everyone else there was an exiled mutant nerd 'I'd chop off my left arm to be a doctor' from hell. Totally different world over there but I learned to survive amongst the mutant nerds.

Was I the class 'taiko' (troublemaker) or the teachers' pet?
Outwardly I guess people would expect me to be an angel but that's only if you don't notice my wicked streak. Played pranks like crazy all the time but I wasn't the class troublemaker that's for sure. I was smart enough even then to make sure that I didn't get caught of course. Reason enough that I never actually became a prefect even though I did go for the interview. So I became one of the rotating class monitors which is even worse btw.

What was the biggest rule I broke in school.
Umm... it's not exactly something I'm proud of and slightly illegal so I'm not gonna mention it. Still I did other more mundane stuff such as planting gum on seats, sawing off the legs on the stools, left dye on the prefect's white trousers and generally being quite the pest. Half the bigger boys wanted to beat me up, I'm sure, but I had really fast feet except that one time when I came back with bruises ( don't even ask about the other guy ). In comparison to those days, I'm practically a dead boring saint now.

Three subjects I enjoyed the most
English. An obvious choice since I loved to write even then. Always enjoyed penning little essays and poems to the delight of my teachers - who always thought I'd probably amount to nothing :)

Art. Another obvious choice since I've always loved sketching and doodling on the exercise books. Used to pencil out cunning caricatures of the teachers who most annoyed me - and then drew real-life stakes running through them. Yes. I was vicious even then. Of course I've improved vastly on that with my recurrent tragic endings for Bountiful Betty.

History. Something about it always intrigued me. What happened to others in the past? What they did? What they wore? What inspired them? All these questions have always made me wonder and I readily devoured every history book given to me. Certainly outstripped my teachers in certain fields of history.

And no, I didn't enjoy science all that much. Despite what I'm doing right now, I've actually always leaned towards the arts.

Three teachers that inspired me
Seriously. None. Can't imagine a single teacher who actually inspired me. No hotties either.

Not gonna tag anyone in particular so anyone who wishes to many write :) Sure most of y'all have had some hijinks in school so tell me all about it!

14 comments:

AJ said...

Me first! Oh prefects & the white pants! I was a prefect for a year and at the end of the year, the white was superbly & oddly stained. And how come u never show us any of your art work?

Wild Reeds said...

Very cute :-)

joshua said...

i can keep guessing which school u were from to occupying my idle time haha.

so u are multi-talented then. doctor-artist-linguist-comic?

Matt. K. said...

Paul, so nice of you to share your shcool life with us!! I enjoyed reading it, like your every other posts, for sure.

Come to think of it, I'm not that much different now from you back then. Except for that pull alot of pranks part and that one time you came back with bruises and about art being one of your favourite subjects. I've not yet got myself into trouble that people want to beat me up, YET.

I'm a last minute hero, studying in an all-boys school, more of a goody-two-shoes, average scorer, hates science, loves English, broke rules, done silly stuff and have no inspiring teachers to look up to.

Guess we're pretty much the same! ;-)

Musang said...

i can't believe it! you were not a nerd back then at school and you love arts and history!

i was imagining that you are one sort of nerd that study till late of night... and the student who loves his biology to the point you use biology terms in everyday life. "hari nie dining masak ipomoea aquatica laaa. dengan kari bos taurus..." / "aku memang la homo... homo sapiens... LOL". / "jangan sampai air tue ada E-coli sudah..."

those happened at my school.

Dave said...

Paul was naughty in school, but not so naughty with hot men as he aged... =(

hrugaar said...

Now I'm intrigued as to what was the biggest rule you broke. But I won't push the question ... not unless you try to make me watch American Idol.

Actually I'm more interested in your artwork. Will you show me your etchings when I visit? ;oP

Anonymous said...

Hmm, all male missionary school...yup...went through that line and boarding to boot.....hanky panky...errr...hahahaha...where did u think I lost my virginity :P

nerd or last minute hero....neither, never bother to submit my homework unless it was under pressure by the Master of the House that my weekend passes be withdrawn!

Troublemaker ot teachers pet....hmmmm...a cross between the two, a teachers pet to the more interesting classes and and absolute holy terror in the more boring classes

Biggest Rule broken...well..all the students in the school broke that rule...being mostly catholic boys..we broke the Church's Canon also.....hahaha..do u know what that is???? Heck..put 4 boys in one room....and horny deprived boys..what do u get? Hmmm..no wonder most of my friends turn out what we are :P

Three subjects enjoyed the most...hmm..English as I can talk crap, philosophy, where I learn how to talk crap and Law where I learn how to get out of trouble for talking crap.

Three teachers that inspired me...

errr..My Philosophy teacher for teaching us that the world doesn't exist..its all in our mind hahahaha

My Religious Study Teacher for teaching me that its absolutely sacrilegous to water down the Spirit..(adding water or coke into your alcohol)

My History teacher for teaching that History will always repeat itself.....seniors will always go to the juniours room in the middle of the night...

hahahahahha..hoo boy...anyway...peace out

Anonymous said...

I think all of us were naughty in some ways, incl. those Head Prefects!! You'd be surprised to even know what they do behind your backs!! Serious.

I couldn't think of any teachers that I could thank. Really. NONE. They were either too lazy to teach, or too busy with their part-time tuition job or too preoccupied with their direct sales job or with the share market. So, I bear no gratitude to any of them AT ALL. And to think that my school was one of the BEST missionary school in the city and is closely associated with the La Salle label. So, guys, a branded school does not necessary have branded teachers. Luckily, a few of us know better than to be affected by those useless leech in a teacher's robe.

savante said...

MY artwork? Well, I don't have a scanner, aj :) Not that I'd know how to use it in the first place.

THanks, wild reeds.

Not from Penang, joshua. So I can't be your senior but yeah, I can be quite the cunning linguist.

I've toned down a lot. Now I speak my mind but I don't start jumping on a soapbox and yelling - well not much.

Good God. MUsang, you thought I talked like that :O I'd slap egoistic bastards like that!

Charles, certainly time to see a meme from you :)

Aging. Sigh! Dave, don't remind me :P

Most of my etchings have been kept in my old place. Not sure if it hasn't already rotted and torn away but I can certainly check. And I'll tell you what it is when you come by. Something to do with explosions.

What skanky Catholic school is that, quavadis :) I should have transferred there dammit.

Whoa, you went to a La Salle school too? So did I, boy and I enjoyed myself actually.

Paul

Anonymous said...

You're right. You're not what most people think. A destructive pranskter! Egads!

And "cunning linguist", Paul? You are SO disgusting.

MrBunnyBan said...

And here I was thinking you were another nerd boy of the class. :p

Lost my handphone, btw. :(

savante said...

Cunning linguist, ws! You got it, you brilliant man!

Daniel darlin, write me and give me your new number.

Paul

mcblurr said...

Hey Paul,

Love your blog(s)!! It is so nice of you to share your school life and I think I go to the same missionary all-boy school in a small like you!

I do enjoy my school time there~

Sam