Monday, April 03, 2006

Travelling compadres

Exotic foreign destinations has always been something of an irresistible fascination for me. Since the day I could climb up on the stool to twirl my grandfather's faded globe, I've always dreamt of travelling. After several months of being homebound, I start feeling that near overpowering, familiar itch in my shoes - a feeling that becomes worse when I see others return from distant lands with that dreamy look in their faces and various doodads in their bags. The Piña Colada song starts playing in my head and I start dreaming of my next escape.

So when someone asks me to join a trip abroad, I'm always one of the first to agree - and with my bags ( and my ever-ready passport insitu ) readily packed too. Then after waving goodbye to my friend, I realized what Graceless Grace actually meant was a trip. With her. Together and alone. In a darkened chalet in romantic tropical Bali.

WTF. Although I assume she hasn't planned an unforeseen ambush from a trio of drunken bridesmaids and a hastily bribed pastor for a gunshot wedding, you can imagine my consternation. Lovely singletons are asking me out and yet I find myself in a quandary. Seriously, why don't I get irresistible invitations for backpacking trips from single, eligible gay men?

Fancy a pina colada?Despite my admittedly hideous homely features and my innate inability to walk away from a bargain ( believe me when I say I shop ), I'm a relatively dependable, resourceful traveller with sadly limited funds but an irresistible thirst for adventure and a fabulous sense of humour ( or so I'm reliably told! ). And although I might develop a heady lustfulness for my travelling companion from a tad too many sangrias, a relatively firm no should be enough to save any assumed innocents from untoward molestation.

Surely if it was Charming Calvin, I would have agreed without any reconsideration since it's obvious that both of us need a break - although I admit he sorely needs to practice some financial frugality especially if he has any serious plans of purchasing that dream condo of his! :) Surely if it was Big Bicep Barry offering a sun-soaked, clothing-optional weekend at a beach paradise, I wouldn't have had second thoughts - although I would have vehemently refused any cloying attempts to make me dive for hours searching for that perfect slug / fish / coral.

So, next on my list is Morocco. Italy. Or perhaps Spain. It's obvious enough that I haven't fully made up my mind but any takers? Six-packs and a tendency to lose clothing would be a plus.

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Be careful, who knows what Grace has in mind ;)
Though Italy or Spain don't sound that exotic to me, I can imagine quite a few scenarios.

Paul holding tight to Giovanni's nice abs, while riding a Vespa trough a crowded via in Rome.
Or the hunky Matador in those tight pants, who sweeps you off your feet with a rose between his teeth.

Oh, and the ice cream there needs mentioning - Who's Häagen Dazs?

Sue said...

I have never been to Spain or Morocco and would love to go. But, I have been to Italy. The men are absolutely gorgeous there, in my experience, and none too shy towards women at least. The food is not to be beat, and neither is the shopping. The architecture and art are legendary. Cities: Venice, Rome, Florence, Naples, Milan... the list goes on.

We would make perfect travelling companions as far as I can see.

Just Me said...

Graceless Grace is after you, becareful it sounds like she might be very resourceful and might get you drunk and take advantage of you.

I am planning on going to Italy Spain or Brazil this year. I haven't decided yet and I am not sure when.

Musang said...

i'd say go to spain baby. and drag barry along with you. promise him girls, girls and more girls. but you get him drunk and sleep with him after that.

sounds like a plan all right.

LOL.

Matt. K. said...

It so happens that I just wrote an essay on Rome and its architecture! As I was writing it, I couldn't help but imagine all those gods they uesd to worship with hot bodies and sheer nudity of the statues!! What about the warriors that used to fight off wild beasts at the Colloseum?? Just imagine! I'm sure it will be great!! I'd love to visit it someday... And the history and art of Italy is just breath-taking!!

I'd suggest Italy!!

Matt. K. said...

Ooh, musang, you're one sleek fox!! Sounds like a plan to me also!! ;-)

Anonymous said...

I know it's typical and cliche but have you ever considered Mychonos Island? It's so gay and fabulous. :-) So i guess you always head for Northwest from your place? hmm.

GD said...

Thanks for linking me, Paul! It's an honor.

savante said...

Beautiful boys in Morocco. Sigh.

camydi, I like the way you think - as I'm sure I'd love Giovanni and that unnamed matador. BTW I love the gelato too.

You make me wanna book the ticmets now, sue, but I gotta recoup my losses - after my last few trips.

Not sure what Grace has planned, cr, but I hope not.

That has to be the best plan ever, musang! :) Italy does sound like a good - but expensive bet, Matt!

Well, I've decided that quiet holidays by the beach bore me after two days so I guess I can't go to Mykonos, shigeki :)

Paul

Sue said...

I hear Ibiza is nice. ;)

Junoon said...

welcome to morocco.. it will be a honor having one of my favotite bloggers visiting my country. :) even if you decide to visit spain, do think of a trip to northern morocco please.

Jay said...

Go with her for the cheap twin-sharing options - then dump her gracelessly and go boy-butt hunting. Such duplicity must not go unpunished!

hrugaar said...

Yeah, sounds like Grace has not-so-hidden motives. Maybe if you chat up a cute bartender and ignore her, she'll finally get the hint that the wedding is a non-starter. But cr's suggestion about her using alcohol to get her wicked way with you is worrying ...

Maybe you should give Barry an irresistible invitation for a holiday, rather than waiting around for him to ask. :o)

Anonymous said...

Go Spain! Go Spain! Bercelona is not to be missed. I will join you if all expenses paid. :0P

Frankly, I think you need a F*ck Buddy than a Travelling mate. aha!

rgds
shine

Anonymous said...

Oh Paul..I been to all those places..how can I be your travelmate then :(

AJ said...

GG is trying to corner you-la! Its as obvious as the sun is bright! You should just bring up the subject with BB & shag him in some remote island resort!

Francis Ford Faggola said...

Unca Paul, would you settle for a slut who has a one-pack, instead of six? Hhehehehe

NeiLDC said...

come and travel at the mediterrean cost of southern spain, or on the canary island! theres a lot of hot babes and hunky dudes. see how spanish people makes you salivate!

NeiLDC said...

another round. dont forget to ring up when ur here in spain ok! Bro. check out my blogs.. the new mr &ms spain all from MALAGA area, spain1

toobusyliving said...

just came across your blog...I'll keep dropping by.

Unknown said...

erm.. on a side note, I'd be really interested in your response to the question in the latest post of my blog..

btw. I like grave creek's suggestion, no mind games and second-guessing anymore ;D

Anonymous said...

Better still, drag her into leather clubs! I agree with Jay, she must be punished (forgive the pun)!

savante said...

Ibiza, sue? Well, I do need my share of culture and shopping apart from the men :)

Thanks, chas!

Whoa. I have readers from Morocco! How cool is that! Thanks for dropping by, junoon.

Wicked idea, jay :)
But will think about that, ru. Perhaps it might work.

shine, perhaps a little bit of both. Some fucking during the travel wouldn't be amiss.

You've been to those places :) Share, pakcik!

But I hate deep sea diving, aj - and the man is obsessed with corals and stuff!

Not that fussy. Any packs will do, holden :)

Finally! Where have you been grave creek!

Hot guys in Spain. I know, n armstrong.. drooling at them right now.

Thanks for coming, toobusyliving :)

Well, left my answer, camydi.

What was that leather club comment, Jamie :) Exactly what are you doing Down Under?

paul

Spot said...

Ooooooo Morroco and Spain...also on my list. Must go Marrakesh.

You should go to Italy with someone you WANT. Then bring him to see the David statue in Florence. Point at the relevant bits and say "Please. I can offer WAY more than that." :)

Sandouri Dean Bey said...

yummy photo