Monday, September 08, 2008

Shocking Thoughts

Just the other day while I was watching a trio of gung-ho medical students run about the ward searching for lumps and bumps, I chanced upon a sudden ventricular fibrillation on the general monitor. Having students about seemed reason enough to enact a tense, dramatic situation guaranteed to trump the medical dramas on telly. Fortunately the nurses were quite eager to lend a hand. So there I was calling for the crash cart while starting resuscitation on the unfortunate patient.

Thankfully for my aching ( aging! ) back, there were eager younger volunteers around to help out with the resuscitation.

After the event - yes, the patient survived due to my recently googled SCREAM techniques - I had one of the students telling me that I looked uncharacteristically serious while performing cardioversion on the patient.

That would be the exciting electrocuting the patient bit you see on the telly.

Grey
Lexie : Whoa, that was impressive.
Paul : Hur hur.

Of course that innocent statement had me smiling. Seriously? God, if she only knew half the thoughts going through my head! Now that would be even more shocking than 360 Joules of electricity!

Hmm... wonder if the fibrillation's precipitated by a heart attack or by some electrolyte abnormality. Potassium?

That's the first. Now that's the usual scenario most doctors would have running through their heads while preparing the paddles ( dripping with gel! ) for cardioversion. After all there's an urgent need to hack at the root of the problem. But then I also have some of the more unorthodox thoughts as well - hence the need to keep a straight face.

Hell, could they prepare the amiodarone any slower?
I wonder what I'll have for lunch today. Noodles? Rice?
Fuck, was that some blood spurting! Damn, there goes my silk shirt!
God, where are the cute medical students? No junior McDreamys? Are they keeping them in storage somewhere? Then again, it's a weekend - I bet the cute ones are partying.

And the worst.

Damn, wish I had a sworn enemy I could place under the paddles. Would be kewl to see him twist and shout.

Monstrous, I know.

14 comments:

Tough Girl said...

this is why i fear medics, and doctors. I'm always afraid of what's going through their head.

savante said...

Well, blog ninja, we do no harm, I swear!

Alice said...

liars! They're like lawyers and evil PR practitioners !haha.

Prash said...

I love the eager younger volunteers ! ;-)

[chocoley] said...

creepy, my nerves is haunting xoo much!

Little Dove said...

Yes doctor, you looked really serious while performing cardioversion. ;p

Medie007 said...

how come i never get to see those resuscitation thingy... so far there were only 2 intubation, that also seen from afar. blergh.

Kit said...

great, now i am gonna wonder about my gp everytime i go in for a physical. who needs these thoughts! hahaha

Musang said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Musang said...

well, i'd rather see a doctor with a serious look while doing his/her job.

because at least i know he is thinking about something.

rather than having him smile and laughing while performing one of them cardio-whuteva.

it's kinda scary to have that kind of doctors.

very scary.

Prash said...

I like to have a cute doctor...like the one in your profile picture :-) Isn't he from LOST ?

I totally trust in him...I am kidding ! the moment, you guys put that white coat...Holy God, you guys become an Angel ...

Anonymous said...

haha...this is a funny story..hey u hvnt answered me...are u anywhere near Malaysian educated?..your english is fab...n the fact that ur gay bt with a question mark face on my mind is very sexily mysterious...ahaha

savante said...

Lawyers I can understand but PR practitioners, leo? What did they do? :O

So do I, prash. Bring them on.

What nerves, dazedblu?

Thanks, I do, lil dove.

Well you come over here and I'll show you, ah bong :P

Bet he's thinking of lunch, kit. We're always hungry.

Relax. We do no harm, musang.

Definitely Malaysian, diran :) Thanks.

Paul

Anonymous said...

when I do CPR - I always think about mmm.. extra exercise.. more perky butt.. hopefully I get to burn more calories doing more CPR... or how come so many CPR I still not lose weight..

I quote paul - we do no harmku