Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Back to the Front Page

Hold the press, we've got a new exclusive for the headlines.

Yes, Malaysia can produce a drama script riveting enough - and plausible enough - for television! Just check out the Frontpage. Tightly-paced action, excellent casting and eeriely familiar storylines plucked out from our own publication archives. Frontpage tells the story of a newsroom team of the daily The Voice covering the latest news from the notorious Axe Gang members to the enchanting black magic practitioner Maya Shaari.


Fortunately Ampang Medikal hadn't soured my taste for local television. Was hopeful when I caught the debut of Frontpage last week - and the second certainly proved to be a hit.

Only two episodes under their belt and already they have their main characters well established with brief defining moments ( cleverly spaced so as not to disturb the main storyline ) - from the stern editor Andrea Ng to their streetwise star reporter Jack Lee. A shared glance between the two - added to an annoyed look from the younger newshound Dylan Pereira - is more than enough to paint a picture of a complicated love triangle.

Certainly far more believable than the flimsy plots on Ampang Medikal ( a show desperately in need of resuscitation ).

Critics
Hot off the press!

Hope they all take a leaf out of the Frontpage! Find it amusing that so far all the female journalists at The Voice - excepting the optimistic rookie Nerina Rahman - seem to be antisocial bitches. We're creditably told their barks are much worst than their bite so we shall see. After all both of them have stories yet to be told and I'm confident the excellent scriptwriters will make us fall in love with them anyway!

And lookie here, it's a seriously muhibbah multiracial / multilingual cast - and they all have their roles to play.

Though I love writing, I've never been all that interested in covering real-life news. Fiction's more my style. And since I know first-hand how very fatiguing life in the newsroom can be ( have a handful of classmates sitting at those desks right now! ), I'll stay clear of temptation. But watching these dedicated journalists at work can be inspiring to say the least.

Sound like a rave to you? Oh yes it is though I might be a tad biased. Seems like I do have a tiny crush on the tough, taciturn journalist Jack Lee - played by understated hunk Tony Eusoff. Now where do I apply to be his intern?

7 comments:

Rae P said...

hey there paul.

actually am a reader from way back, but decided to change my blogger profile. starting anew :D

anyway, I've seen the ads for the shows; and my only anguish is that Jehan Miskin is there playing some character.

For the life of me, I really don't know why, but i just hate his guts.

So, i don't think that i'll be watching it anytime soon [or ever :D].

although, i've seen bits and pieces of Ampang Medikal, and it gives me the giggles sometimes seeing that one of the reg@sho was much much shorter than one of the interns :D

Perky said...

I've seen the tv promo for this show... but entahlah, not interested to watch it. I don't konw, I just don't like local drama. Perhaps it's the way they work the cameras, or the plot, or how I can see the public in the background staring into the camera, entahlah...

savante said...

Sounds like a story there raeshad but why the jehan miskin rant :) But it's worth watching!

Give it a try, perky. Quite solid drama. At least you can catch it on ntv7.

P

Unknown said...

I came across an online community for individual seeking interracial love. It is ++++((((---Blackwhitemeet. C O M))))++++ All singles there are seeking interracial relationships. Interracial is not a problem here, but a great merit to cherish!

Anonymous said...

Hi Savante,
Thanks for your kind reviews on Frontpage. We're very happy that you're enjoying it as much as we are.
If you want to watch the show again, you can do so on ntv7.com.my via Catch Up TV. Gotta register first, but it's worth the 3 minutes. You can air your views there as well as on frontpage.my.

To Perky & Raeshad- I know it just takes a few local dramas to spoil it for the rest of the good ones. But do give this one a chance. If this does well, it's a milestone for local tv, in terms of language, plot, storyline, dialogues etc. And it has been years since local stations refrained from airing shows with the public staring into the camera while a story is being filmed, and allow that to go on air.
And as for Jehan, a person who plays a driven/cocky/playboy character has to be too much of a good actor until the viewers still hate his guts after the show is over? perhaps he was convincing enough :)

Rae P said...

wow paul. even ppl from ntv7 leave comments? wow :D

maybe i will watch it a few times before i fly back. we'll see.

it's just unquantifiable>>my hatred for Jehan that is. sometimes, there are just these people see....

p/s: why can't they employ the likes of Ashraf Sinclair for his part? If that's the case, you won't need anything to persuade me. I'm in from the very start :D

savante said...

Thanks for coming by, sally :P

Glad you guys are making the effort, ntv7.

Really, raeshad... Ashraf Sinclair? nah, why not go for Dominic :P

Paul