Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Jogging memories

Isn't it weird how our memories work?

There are so many things I can't recall in my past - so many tiny details that have slipped my absent-minded memory. Prior to the age of twelve, I can barely recall anything ( seriously! ) so a large part of my primary school life is a hazy sepia-toned memory from yesterday. Only small fading pictures remain that prove that I actually was a small kid who went to that primary school with his lunch of pb & j sandwiches.

With senility fast approaching though, it hasn't been all that easy trying to keep all those memories intact. Doesn't help that I'm terribly busy cramming dry, dull anaesthetic facts into my already packed brain ( and let's not hear anything about using only a tiny fraction of our brains, I'm happy using my small percentage, thanks very much! :) ). At the rate I'm stuffing myself, certainly wondering why I haven't seen daunting information start falling out of my ears yet.

Still every once in a while, something happens to jog the memories to life. A sound. A taste. A scent. And the memory comes back alive and vibrant in my mind.

Face to face
Look at me...

Bear with the cheesy metaphors please :) After all the song that brought a fond memory to mind was Get Here by Oleta Adams, remixed by an eager contestant on the American Idol. Such an ancient oldie, I'm sure - and I bet the clubkids around here haven't even heard of it :) Still I recall a lazy, rainy weekend, the music playing in the background and a sweet ( though currently terribly wicked and insignificant ) guy who danced with me.

Gave him a sappy call to watch the tv.

My ISO : Fucking sappy guy. You always get this way when you're sick. ( Pause ) By God, she sucks. She's spoiling the song!

Damned bastard. :)

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

on the negative side, even if the song is great, it may not be great if the song was heard when a bad thing happened. yeah, it's really interesting.

You had to bring your own lunch in primary school?

I am sure this sounds politically incorrect but whale meat was often served at school lunch in my days...

canardbidon said...

oh tell me about nostalgia!!... i got so upset the other day when i found out a girl i thought i liked in form 4 told me she was seeing someone... threw me into a trail of thinking and reminiscing...

savante said...

yeah, I brought my own lunch. Would have been great if I had some whale meat though :)

canard, ooh... what girl!

Paul

Petie said...

On a more important note, HE remembered too :P

savante said...

Believe me, after much prodding!

paul

MrBunnyBan said...

He said that????

MAIM! KILL! DESTROY!

...wait, you really shouldn't be reminding your ex about these things.

Just a maiming will do then. =D

akihisa said...

As a new reader to your blog, I may not have known the full details between you and your ISO but what made you fall in love with him in the first place ?! Sorry, if my asking you to jog your ol' memory a little. Consider it brain exercise. ;p

And how did he get to be the way he is now ?

Musang said...

you are one sappy romantic kind of guy paul. and barry seems like one sappy romantic kinda guy too (i assume).

perfect match.

and get well soon.

hrugaar said...

Don't remember the Get Here song. But yeah, weird how something can bring a memory instantly and vividly back to life, when it's been buried and forgotten in your subconscious for years ... one sniff or taste or sound, and you're suddenly back there revisiting the moment(s).

'...after much prodding'? Heheh. Okay, I ain't going to go there this time ... ;oP

Anonymous said...

My entire life seems to be in a similar blur, so you're not the only sepia-memoried boy.

People, things and events are just not there - but places are much more intact.

The most bizarre thing is that I can remember fictitious people, events and places (specifically the ones in Ru's first roleplaying campaign) more clearly than real ones from the same period.

Maybe that reflects on the dullness of my real life!

Khaldan

Anonymous said...

Incident 1 :

I was happily driving from office to my home in Jelatek, n only when
I reach the parking entrance I realised that I left my house key n access card inside my office drawer. N to make thing worse..my office is in Shah Alam.

Incident 2 :

Was at the gym n put all my stuff n personal belonging inside one of this locker. Went for shopping with my SO n when I came back to the gym to start my workout, I realised that I locked the locker next to me, n not the one that have all my belonging inside.

N today, I didnt bring my medicine to office :(

I think that summarised how forgetful I am nowadays.

But at the moment, I wish I dont have any memory at all..maybe when that happen I will trully gain my happiness :)

ça va pas la tête said...

Paul, I am like you... I cant remember much of my childhood.. it's just a little bit of here and there. ;)

Anonymous said...

same here. childhood one big blur with some clarity here and there. and yes, it's sephia-toned.

next time call barry. i think he'll say something much nicer than your iso. who know, he may come running to comfort you after that :D

Maximus Leo said...

Memories eh? I rather keep my childhood memories surpressed! Nothing too exciting... was just simply a geek but turned out to be a health freak! So there was some misconnection there!

savante said...

It was just a sweet thought, Daniel :) Not a come-on, I swear.

Ahmad, he's not a monster. He's generally a good guy. :)

Yeah, musang, I am kinda sappy.

Not the kind of prodding you're talking about, ru!

Isn't it weird how soon we forget things, khaldan?

I've done pretty much the same, pakcik.. but then again, I've always been absentminded :P

But there are guys who can recall it all so clearly, ca va!

Might do that, Asmadi :) if he wasn't so busy!

A health freak, Max? Really! What happened there!

Paul