Thursday, February 02, 2006

Workback Mountain

Coming back to work after a relatively long break is always a drag. Not only have I gotten used to waking up at an unseasonable hour, I've also gotten used to dressing like a drunken, unkempt slob ( the vodka! ) at home. Really. At home, I actually schlep around in shorts and scruffy tees, and I keep a permanent stubble. Don't tell anyone.

Grumble... grumble...
Grumble... grumble...

Took a while for me to get up today - and an even longer while before I could finally match my screamingly lavender tie to my shirt - since I actually spent a good ten minutes grumbling incessantly over my meaningless life. Seriously. When is my Prince Charming gonna gallop up my doorstep and give me the domestic househusband life that I need? Thoughts like these didn't help much when I'm struggling with knotting my tie which led me to stumble groggily down the stairs only to realize that all that insane purple only served to make me look terribly gay Elton John - so I ran up to change.

During the leisurely drive through the empty roads, I found out that most of the schools are still out - and since everyone's still choked up with mandarins, obviously no one's going back to work yet! What made it worse was making my way into the hospital only to realize to my horror that everyone else is still on their break - and the parking spaces are all empty. Damn the happily holidaying 'hos. As I hiked to the wards, the nurses walked by giving me pitying looks like I'm the chosen sacrifice for the new year. How dare my Chinese colleagues leave me totally unaware of the fact that everyone's still on a break!

Still, it turned out to be a relatively uneventful work day ( obviously even the patients were taking a break ) and I spent my time reading the papers ( along with my prerequisite cup of morning coffee ), sending skanky messages to my friends and chatting up a new patient in their intensive care unit. It was a female patient just in case you're thinking I finally found my dream patient by the name of Chris Evans. Hell, if I had Chris Evans in the hospital, would I even be home writing this? I'd be glued to his side as his obsessed love slave!

Since I was a little disgruntled over the fact that I'd gone to work needlessly, I took the time to present my gripes to a friend only to find out that the grass isn't actually all that green on the other side :)

Paul : Is it wrong to hate my work?
Barry : Yes, it is. I started at 8 in the morning and I have a pile of work that will probably finish by 8 at night, if not later. You're having tea and sending messages at 4.
Paul : Oops.
Barry : I am jealous.
Paul : Hey, I am jealous of your big biceps.
Barry : You would have that too if you'd go to the gym. And it might not be that big anymore since I've missed five days.
Paul : Uhh...Is that a long time?
Barry : YES!

So the grass is actually a crummy burnt brown on the other side. At least it's not lavender.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your body clock is not screwed up like mine. It takes a week or so to get back to normal after the extended break for me. :)

Adjust yourself well and be happy :) (Oh, adjust your undies under scrubs in ICU if you wanted to, too)

ash said...

talk about not getting used to stupid routines! I hope this holiday doesn't ruin my bodyclock or anything. hahaha... anyway, sounds like you have a relaxing time than BBB Paul. Count your blessings then. Btw, the guy in the pic is super cute. What? Suddenly not fond of Chris anymore?

Jay said...

I've not been to the gym in a week and I feel so guilty. And everything's already starting to look like one of Dali's melting clocks.

If you've not started working out, it's best not to bother - the maintenance is a real bastard.

Petie said...

At least you got to get away for CNY... I have to work and no travel at all :pp

Anonymous said...

Hmm..BBB looks very confortable talking about his biceps to you. Maybe he is also confortable with the idea about this whole 'domestic househusband' thingy that you craving for...

ever discuss with him about that? his already your at the moment prince charming though ;)

ps : You look like Elton John meh???!!!

Anonymous said...

an 8 to 8 working day. now i know i really am working too hard... and I'M SELF EMPLOYED!!!!! WTF!!!!??

Squido said...

I spent the first 2 week, adjusting my body clock to wait up at 6. Now just 3 days of sleeping late and waking up later, it's all ruined!

Now i have to use that goddamn alarm clock again.

*grunts about how dumb my life is*

Anonymous said...

I always wake up at 5.30am sharp everyday...regardless either it is a working day, weekend or public holiday...

N I believe that is even worse. :(

Anonymous said...

That was very suave of you... on that "I am jealous of your big biceps" bit. ;-) It would have been better if he asked you to feel/measure it. Or did he? :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh are the hols over already? Sigh, I guess when you've got a two-month break from uni, the days all sort of blend into each other.

Muahahahaha! *Ducks a thrown stethoscope and runs from the room*

Anonymous said...

*having tea and sending messages at four*

Don't feel too guilty. It's wrong to hate my job, too. Yet some days, I do. That happens when you have to deal with people with problems on a daily basis. And knowing what your job is, you have a right to hate yours more than I do.

Musang said...

OMG...

i've left gym for like 2 months and a half today. i'll be a shrinking yoda then. owh. not to forget the unbelievable fat layers hanging around, i'll be shrinking yoda with fat layers.

owh shit...

well, the other side is still a pretty good place for me.

hrugaar said...

You only grumble for ten minutes, lar? :oD

BBB needs to do some workout with you - much better for him than the gym.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it the usual situation after a long break from work!? Back to reality when half of the office is still on leave.... At least you have a good start and won't take long to adjust unlike the others.....enjoy the slow day whilst it lasts!

You - Elton John??? I just had a mental picture of you - the Asian version of Elton John :-) Have a good weekend!

savante said...

Nah, shigeki, it takes only a while to adjust my body clock.

ash, yeah, BBB seems to have a harder work routine than me. He claims he needs the gym to work out his stress. Wouldn't sex be a better stress reliever?

Dali's melting clocks :) Jay, I love ya.

Ouch, you gotta work, Pete?!

Ian and pakcik! No, I don't look like Elton John :)

designdoctor, a selfemployed man. I am verrry interested.

Squido, I hate alarm clocks too.

But Chas, you've got it backwards. I wanna be the househusband!

Measuring his biceps. Hmm.. that sounds like a good come-on, mark. Will use it.

Hi, inner mind :) How was the interview!

Jamie, you jobless woman!

Thanks, Brian!

You won't be a shrinking yoda, musang. You have got that POP cast right? :)

ru, it was only ten minutes since there's a certain amount of time I have allocated before I have to leave for work.

Paul