Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Getting all Big Brother

It's been a while since my friends and colleagues have gotten together for a fun-filled margarita-soaked fiesta. With Chinese New Year barely weeks behind us and the ever-cheerful return to the work grind, it's taken some time for us to organize a get-together since our schedules never seem to mesh well.

Thank God for birthdays then - which gives us the perfect opportunity to lift up a glass of alcohol in celebration - or at least for me tonight, a glass of ice lemon tea. With my debilitating illness not too far back, I decided not to tempt fate by getting utterly soused. Unlike me, Shameless Shalom saw no objection to several pints of the good stuff and ended up all flushed, giggly and sophomoric - something terribly unlike her. Obviously made of sterner stuff, Handsome Hui managed to knock back a few without blurting out any of his deep, dark secrets.

One of my junior colleagues, Reedy Reba ( who actually just completed her internship two months ago ) finally turns 26 and nothing makes me feel more the big brother than watching a fresh, young intern step into a new role in her working career. I know the actual gap between our chronological years isn't all that wide but somehow a year in medical life seems almost like a lifetime!

As you guys know, all my life I've always been the tagging kid brother so I actually relish the chance to play the elder role for once :) Sure, feeling all wrinkled, crotchety and ancient beside all these youthful whippersnappers certainly dulls the shine but still it's great to recount nightmarish tales of the horrors us old folks have gone through at work.

And yeah, even crack a joke over some of the terrifying experiences we've had with our patients. Exploding blood bags and swooning relatives certainly didn't feel like any laughing matter at that time.

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I had your strength. If adult beverages are present in front of me, there is no way I can avoid them....

Big brother, what can you offer us? haha. Have a good one.

Anonymous said...

Haha on Shigeki! Do you also go singing and acting weird in the middle of the midnight street when you party and get boozed, like our friend Shigeki? Not so much into the adult beverages like Shigeki, just a sip here and there.

Just Me said...

I am right there with Shigeki, show me a drink and I will drink it. :)
You have a lot more self control than I do.

Kiss My Mike said...

Lucky intern for having you as a brother.

NeiLDC said...

Welcome all interns, like the freshmen becomes now the sophomores or going junior and senior. Big Bro, what can you share to me!

hrugaar said...

Exploding bloodbags? Don't remember that story ... do tell. :o)

Anonymous said...

I dont drink...cannot comment on that...;)

Rush Murad said...

Nice writings.... doesnt look like bedtime stories at all, more like soap opera? :)... will come back for more reading dude...

Anonymous said...

Whoa...going out and not drinking...ce'st impossible for me....was drinking at 5pm on Tuesday till 7pm with my friend and the hangover kicked in at 11pm hahahahahaha...

Was drinking again yesterday..as it is the Last day before Lent..Shrove Tuesday..or Mardi Gras time....woke up at 6:00am to go to Ash Wednesday Mass that starts at 7:00am...forgot that I had ashes on my forehead as I went to work straight without breakfast (Fasting time) and my staff was all staring at me!! hahahahaha...

Anyway..am amazed still that you can Not drink when you are out...kudos to you....

Anonymous said...

Hey Paul, when would you organise a "fun-filled margarita-soaked fiesta" for all your regular blog readers? This time, you won't be drinking ice lemon tea :-D

kent

Wild Reeds said...

Santé!

mARCus said...

Ditto tropicalguys...


hey, where's the pic of a cute hunk in today's post?

Jake Silver said...

You talking about seeing "younngsters" --- People always think I'm younger than I am because I enlisted later in life and they see my rank. It's a great way to feel younger.

akihisa said...

I'm already a big brother, but I'm only 23. ;p

savante said...

Well, don't mind drinking but not that attached shigeki :) Which is why I can say no, cr.

And no mark, I don't go singing and acting weird. I might giggle though.

I totally agree, mike :)

Work details only, neil!

Ru, the blood bag story? Well, we'll save it for until you come here then :)

Think we all know that, pakcik :)

rush, a soap opera? That would have ended with me slapping Shalom in a fight after kissing Hui in a passionate liplock. Then I would find out that Preity is my long-lost twin sister :)

Just say no :) And I do have a long drive back alone, quavadis!

Sounds like a fun idea, kent. Pyjama party!

Same to ya, wild reeds. Slainte.

Nothing - or no guy - seemed to fit just right, Marcus.

I do understand, jake :) I do have juniors who are actually older in chronological age... but only a handful.

Still a kid, ahmad :)

Paul

hcpen said...

i used to think doctor;s lives were booring..but after reading ur blog, i am starting to change my perception of doctor's private lives...well at least urs seem fun-filled, but u could be the exception!