Monday, February 13, 2006

The Real Thing

Just a continuation from my previous post - and yeah, the title comes from another Gwen Stefani song...

Left some of my last minute souvenir shopping for the end so it was late evening by the time I managed to finally make my way to the famous Erawan Shrine for my offering. For those who're utterly stumped, the Erawan Shrine is dedicated to the four-headed image of Brahma and it's located right smack in Chidlom, one of the most congested commercial districts in Bangkok . Only in Thailand do you see the contrasts - Thai classical dancers performing for the god amidst burning incense and offerings in the serene temple right at the corner of a bustling cross junction beneath a modern monorail system.

Say a little prayerWishes and offerings have been made there - and according to local folklore, more than a few have been granted which has made the small shrine a significant draw for devotees from arund the region. An infamous legend even has it that a lady once danced in the nude under the moonlight after her boon was met.

Inspired by an article in a daily newspaper, I made my way there to make my plea. When I reached the shrine with the hundreds of devotees clamouring for their own boons, it came to me that it was alarmingly fitting that I should make a wish for a mate just on the eve of Valentine's! I'd actually forgotten the date but over here in Thailand, it's practically impossible to get away from talk of Valentine's since it's literally plastered everywhere.

Thena gain, perhaps it was a sign of some sort and I prayed for the best. Wars are being fought, people are dying of disease and yet here I am asking for a boyfriend. Talk about the pathetically lovelorn ( or possibly insanely self-absorbed :) ). Feeling more than a little foolish and self-conscious - and yet desperately earnest, I made my wish nevertheless and gave my offerings to Brahma.

So if it actually comes true - and I'm truly with a mate that I can love who actually loves me in return by next year, I shall have to make another pilgrimage there. So to the hitherto unknown prince Brahma picks for me, I suggest you make a mark on that calendar. Don't worry. I promise no naked dances by the moonlight.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't realize it is Valentine's day today (well, it's already 14th here) until I read your post.... Okay, I am so boyfriend-less this year.

I hope your wish comes true pretty soon. See, the objects you see may be closer than you think. :) Good day!

hrugaar said...

Nothing so wrong with dancing naked by moonlight. I'm sure Barry would be up for it. :o)

jayandkay said...

Happy Valentine's Day!

More to go dear...

Mr RM said...

I really hope that Phra Phrom Thao Maha Bhrahma would grant all your wishes!

I am actually surprise na, a Catholic like you making offering at a Brahman shrine..... kudos na....

Actually ah, Erawan is the name of the vehicle of Bhrahma, which is a three-headed elephant.

I'm not sure whether you have passed by Sukhumwit Rd on the way to Samut Prakan, you would see a HUGE Erawan Shrine. There also, many wishes have been granted!

I hope that you know that once your wish is granted, you have to 'bayar nazar' to Phra Phrom.

Usually, you can return by making offerings of seven-colour flowers, sugarcane, figurines of small dancers or elephants....

I have personally seen the magic and efficacy of Phra Phrom.
May ALL Your Wishes Come True!

Mr RM said...

Forgot to say that you can always make offerings at ANY Phra Phrom Shrine, and there are Phra Phrom Shrine at nearly all Thai Buddhist Temples in Malaysia.

I reckoned the nearest for you would be in Batu Berendam! Sometimes even in Chinese Temples would have Phra Phrom shriines

hrugaar said...

Why can't we have Phra Phrom shrines on the rock where I live? :o(

Just Me said...

Had I been there I would have made the same wish so don't feel bad.

If your wish comes true I am going to make a pilgrimage and make the same wish.

I hope it comes true for you!

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentine's Day Paul..

No wish for me this year. But hoping that your wish will cum true ;)

Me off to Lemon Garden tonite...

Legolas said...

"The Real Thing" is the hit song from Bo Bice as well. ;-p

Anonymous said...

why suddenly you finding yourself with song title for your blog posting?

interesting..then can see what type of song n its correlation with your everyday life..he.he...

btw, do tell me if you manage to screw anyone while you are there...

Anonymous said...

Oh Shoot and there I was hoping to make that special trip to Thailand just to see you dance Naked in the moonlight hahahaha

Anyway, Happy Valentine's Day to you and May the God's Reward you

Jay said...

That was really sweet! And don't worry about praying for stuff like world peace - lots of other people are already asking for that.

Anonymous said...

Oh why not?

Happy Valentine's Day, Paul!

Spot said...

Hey, I think naked dances under the moonlight, in the RIGHT place, WILL net you your wish!

Happy Valentine's Day, Paul.

Maximus Leo said...

Been there and done that and I;m still waiting for the partner in my life as well! Off course, my other prayers included making lots of money (read stock market and property investment), good health for my loved ones and world peace! Who knows maybe will meet at the Erawan shrine as well.

Happy Valentine's Day!

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day, Paul
And may your wish come true :o)

Musang said...

amen.

wish that you will got one this year. and then my karmaic energy will boost for wishing other people happiness and then i'll get one too.

for both single. god hear us. give him barry barry. and then give me paul walker.

amen, amen, amen...

and uh... happy valen-singling's day.

savante said...

Depressing, ain't it, shigeki? :(

Dancing naked in the moonlight! Not unless the guy's dancing with me naked too, ru.

Thanks j & k.

Hope the god's listening to my wishes too, kit.

If it does come true, you'll bethe first to know, cr.

Have fun there, pakcik!

Never thought of that, Leggy! Is the song good?

quavadis, me naked? Uhhh.. I doubt you'd want to see that.

True enough, Jay, One little wish for myself can't hurt, right?

Thanks, weeshiong and chas.

Spot, you could be on to something there. perhaps I'll do that one day.

Max, I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that :) You're right. Hope we get our wishes granted.

Thanks for coming by, camydi.

Pray harder, musang!

Paul

Anonymous said...

So did your wish come true?