Friday, December 16, 2005

Pancake night

Since my schedule lately does seem to be a little too full of Barry Barry sweetness, I took a break to go out with some of my colleagues last night for a few episodes of Desperate Housewives. Obviously with the enthusiastic ( and holidaying ) schoolkids flooding the cinemas, we haven't been able to get through that damned wardrobe to the magical world of Narnia yet.

Let's face it, cute guys may come and go but good friends do actually last forever - if you don't start the occasional nasty hair-pulling, claw-scratching catfights over the cute guys of course. Since most of my colleagues here are heterosexual - on assumption, I haven't had the opportunity to have a drag-down mud-slinging brawl yet.

Handy in the kitchenHandy-in-the-kitchen Preity Posh marvelled us with her delicious pancakes ( and some store bought popcorn ) while Shameless Shalom regaled us with some of her tamer exploits. Handsome Hui provided the prerequisite alcohol and Silent Sally of alien Borg fame ( well, she's not so silent anymore obviously! ) added the necessary touch of sobriety.

Sure, most of our friendships aren't as cosy and intimate as those embodied by Carrie Bradshaw and her Cosmopolitan drinking bosom bows. Still we paid homage to them with our pancake night. There were the neverending litany of gripes about work as usual and the prerequisite complaints about being single this close to our 30s - but we tempered it all with pancakes and a veritable sea of maple syrup.

I wanted so much to whine about my hopelessly sad crush on a pair of bulging biceps but I decided to keep it mum till I had more to say. However when the singlehood complaints started up, Handsome Hui couldn't resist teasing me about my alleged indiscretions and whispered sotto voce in my ear. Since I still haven't seen a Tiffany diamond on my ring finger ( and Big Bicep Barry might still turn out to be desperately straight *albeit confused* man with a nubile Vietnamese child bride stashed in the closet somewhere ) I disregarded Hui and tossed buttered popcorn at his leering face.

Pancakes and Bailey's. That's us.

P.S. In other news, you can also vote for my blog at Best Gay Blogs. It's great enough to be nominated amongst the other great international blogs. :)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a nice weekend to begin with. I haven't had pancakes for a long time. Even though I am here, I don't think I have ever had pancakes in here. :-)

I wonder how things will turn out if you make another move yet it's subtle....

Happy weekend!

Jay said...

I don't think I even have any straight friends anymore, let alone ones I can (or would) actually spend an evening with eating pancakes.

D'you think that actually makes me TOO gay?

:(

Anonymous said...

Yum, pancakes. But do you mean crispy pancakes, Scotch pancakes, those big fat American-breakfast pancakes, or French-style crêpes?

Buttered popcorn you can keep, blah ... or throw at Handsome Hui, lar! (But don't leave a mess of popcorn on the floor, it's a bugger to clean up)

Jay - hi Jay. Yes it does. Get real. :oD

Legolas said...

I'm always with my straight friends, ladies. Don't think people will ever notice I'm gay.

I need more gay friends!

Musang said...

sounds like a slumber party i used to have at my best friend's house.

a marathon on sex and the city (any season), armed with packs of junk foods and mee maggi in cups.

then we bitch about my boyfriend, his boyfriend and our friends' boyfriends.

ahhh...bliss.

anyway, nothing happen with barry on your last date? (it was a date, wasn't it?)...i'm disappointed.

canardbidon said...

you HAVE to get your grubby hands on this Barry somehow or other... the suspense is killing us all!!

Jay: you can never be TOO gay... one day when we rule the world we will need straight people to be our slaves... but until then, who cares about them?

MrBunnyBan said...

I thought you said you were hanging out with straights...but wasn't Handsome Hui there? ;-)

Dildos said...

please la... barry is gay as hell.

The question is, whether u have the patience to wait. hehe

good luck

hbjock said...

You know it's funny.. for me, I have a lot of straight friends and not many gay friends here in Hawai'i... who knows why that is.. maybe I need to get out more hehe :)

BTW, thanks for your compliments on the new look of my blog... I know, it doesn't look very "Hawaiian", but that's because I have no knowledge of webpage construction at all :). Glad you like it anyway though!

savante said...

Another subtle move? Well, I'm going for dinner again with him so...

No straight friends, Jay?! I am stunned. How about your Zimbabwean friends?

Well, ru, we had those big fat American breakfast pancakes! Delish! What is it with Americans and big humongous portions? :)

leggy, I'll be your gay friend.

musang! What did you expect to happen on the date? I don't sleep with a guy till at least three months :) I don't do one-night-stands... well, not anymore I don't.

canard, believe me the suspense is killing me too.

Daniel, you're on to something there... Handsome Hui was there!

wjee, I have the patience of a saint when it comes to this.

No gay hawaiian hunks? Damn. I am imagining hot dark surfers offering their leis to me.

Paul