Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Perhaps Love again

Surprisingly I actually can't find anything much to talk about today. I am practically speechless.

It's not that I've had a really bad night during yesterday's call since it was actually a pretty good on-call. Nothing too pressing happened all night long - no dire, heart-thumping emergencies dealing with life and death and certainly no urgent midnight calls from the nurses ( there was a distress call but it was about 10 at night which is still an acceptable hour to deteriorate :) ). Enjoyed an evening of music at the operating theatre - yes, Pussycat Dolls and Gwen Stefani to the utmost horror of Big Bicep Barry, I'm sure. Don't be shocked but we actually do listen to really, really loud music at the operating theatre especially when heads start to nod and eyelids start to droop.

Mostly I talked to Handsome Hui about the movies. Since he hasn't given me a satisfactory reply on the state of his sexuality, I took it upon myself to slip all manner of sexual innuendo into the conversation that left the poor boy flushed pink to his ears. Surprisingly, he let fall that he actually caught me ogling Barry's pecs at the cinema one night - and here I thought I was being so discreet. What can I say? The movie, Perhaps Love, dragged at some points and under his gray tee, Barry's pecs were hard and perky enough to invite appreciation.

Perky pecs
Pecs to die for!


Still, for me - the eternal optimist, every movie has its own redeeming quality... sexy actors who'd be better getting naked than speaking lines that they can't pull off, great cinematography but crappy, disjointed script, a great plotline that would have worked better with better editing. Well, every movie except for Himalaya Singh which stank so bad I couldn't find anything worthwhile to save.

Perhaps Love tells the story of Lin Jiandong, a famous Hong Kong actor who finds himself being paired in a new movie with an old flame, Sun na - who literally walked away from him to reach for the stars. Unfortunately for the poor guy, he has never really gotten over his love for her. I have to admit that Perhaps Love wasn't the best example of a great Chinese movie. Instead of paying homage to the classic Mandarin musicals of the old-time Shaw Brothers and Cathay musicals, the movie actually bears a startling resemblance to the spectacular Moulin Rouge. Unfortunately it's only a passing resemblance since Perhaps Love only manages to shine when it comes to the quieter scenes, the gentle, subdued love that the couple share in earlier times.

Still, the songs are catchy enough... and certainly the movie picks up considerably with the memorable dance sequence in the alley - lit up with the glow of a thousand brilliant lanterns - with trashy hookers gyrating unashamedly in an alleyway screeching about love and lies.

Hmmm.. so much for saying nothing. Obviously I can actually talk endlessly without any topic in mind. My God. My ISO is right. Damn him.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think that's an appealing trait. After all, I can be quite the mindless chatterer myself when the mood strikes me.

savante said...

Appealing? You mean, it doesn't make me sound like a mindless chatterbox?

Paul

Anonymous said...

and I thought you'd elaborate a little bit more about BBB's pecs and other things that I'd wanted to happen....:-) Happy Evening!

savante said...

More about his pecs? Well, they are hard, perky and solid. Nice nips since the cinema was freaking cold.

Paul

Anonymous said...

The important thing is, you can talk about anything and make it interesting!

Hui was watching you watching Barry's pecs, and didn't mind telling you about it? Sounds like a pink card carrier to me. :oD

Mark said...

Yeah, hello!

What was Hui doing watching you? Hmmmmm?

You'll have to ask him :-)

Me said...

No wonder i can never get anywhere. I have no muscle. I wonder where average joes fits into this whole topic. -_-

savante said...

Well, ru, hui is a pretty obsessive movie maniac kinda like me and occasionally he takes the backrow.. and he must have caught Barry and me that night!! Not sure what he was looking at, darien, but he already knows that I'm gay anyway.

Well, kevin, average guys are like me!

Paul

Anonymous said...

Paul, you are way above average!

But if Hui is a movie maniac, how come he's watching couples in the back row instead of keeping his eyes on the big screen? Heheh. :oD

Me said...

I like You already then ahahah!

savante said...

ru, you gotta be talking about someone else? Me above average!? I object! Above average is reserved for guys like.. drooolsome Chris Evans.

Obviously handsome Hui is a snoop who keeps an eye out for other guys. And he was sitting two rows behind.

Paul