Monday, December 26, 2005

Love Actually

On a lazy Boxing Day, what else is there to do with your friends but veg out and catch an old feel-good movie? And nothing fits the holiday season as perfectly as does Love Actually - with its quaint, charming portrayals of love in all its various guises.

Sometimes we tend to associate love only with the one shared between a pair of lovers but I think that's where we sell it short. In fact this sweet movie shows us that love does occur in the oddest places - between a doting stepfather and his son, between siblings, between best friends, between colleagues and even oddly enough, between an aging rock star and his faithful manager. There are quiet moments when it gets a tad sentimental - perhaps even a little too schmaltzy for the more macho guys amongst us but hell, I still love it.

My ISO : Fuck. Not again!
Paul : You didn't complain last year.
My ISO : ( waggling his eyebrows lasciviously ) I wanted some sugar.
Paul : Not getting it this year.
My ISO : That shirt I gave you cost a bomb.
Paul : Thanks very much. Now, eat your candy and shut up.


Perhaps it really is the umpteenth time I've seen the movie since I actually had my ISO complaining when I placed the disc in the player but hell, it's Christmas. There's certainly no better time to get all gooey and mushy, is there? And there's always the meltingly gorgeous Rodrigo Santoro for the prerequisite male eye-candy.

Rodrigo Santoro
Rodrigo taking some time off


So my surprisingly obliging ISO provided the prerequisite alcohol ( in the morning, how decadent! ) and the gripes while I stuffed him full with my remaining Turkish Delight, then sighed and sobbed all over my delicate Turkish cushion covers. Still, in spite of his vehement complaints, I saw him flick away a manly tear when love didn't exactly go the way it should. :)

8 comments:

Legolas said...

Spent the day fixing the bloody computer... :-( There goes my holiday...

But I had happy moments. :-)

Anonymous said...

boxing day? have a headache at work. sigh.

but LA IS a lovely film. and i cry buckets too myself. that and NOtting Hill are the best love stories ive seen! ;-)

PS: the more i read abt ure ISO, i really do find him attractive. am i demented? *snigger*

Anonymous said...

I agree love does occur in the weirdest places in the weirdest time. But where's mine? I have never seen it coming for a very very long time. (T_T)


oh, I am in love with my work. I totally forgot about that!

I hope you're not like me. :-)Happy Last week of 2005!

ça va pas la tête said...

"Love is the most beautiful of dreams and the worst of nightmares." William Shakespeare

MrBunnyBan said...

What I'd like to know is, why were you watching *that* movie alone with your ISO? If BBB were there that'd be another story. Your ISO probably thought he was going to get some.=p

Derek said...

I agree Love Actually was sappy. But i love it too LOL

Anonymous said...

Love Actually didn't appeal to me enough before, so I never saw it. Didn't realise there was someone like Rodrigo in it to make it worth watching. :oD

Your ISO does seem to have been much in evidence this holiday. Presumably he didn't get far with the priest. ;o)

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm... Rodrigo. He was great in that one (his body too), but he hasn't made any romance movies since then. Some junk about wanting to be taken seriously; so he is doing political movies now. Color me very disappointed! :(