Saturday, December 24, 2005

Midnight mass

I'm not all that religious. Seriously. I admit I only attend church on the holy days, a handful of weddings and the occasional funeral. But Christmas Eve is a special time over here. There is a significantly larger proportion of Catholics in my state compared to the rest - aided no doubt by the larger number of Portuguese and Dutch descendants staying here - and one tradition that we always have here is the Christmas Eve Midnight Mass.

Altar boysIt's the one night the parishioners are allowed to hang around in the vast church lawn, raising their voices to the heavens ( okay, some are just caterwauling away like whipped cats but since it's a time for giving, we shall forgive them their sins ) under the midnight sky. Which is such a blessed relief seeing as the church itself can become quite unbearably humid with the faithful squashed inside amongst the pews.

Of course I don't think the priests in church know about this but it's also the one night the good, conservative Catholic girls let down their hair, hike up their skirts annd climb into those racy stilettos to parade outside the church :) Surely an annual spectacle that any red-blooded heterosexual teenage boy would find hard to resist. Unfortunately there's nothing much for the gay boys to see - unless a certain hot priest is giving the sermons tonight.

Since I was a monster before with Barry last night over the phone ( check out the earlier post! ), I decided to make amends by inviting him to the Midnight Mass. He's not Christian - if that's what you're asking - and I doubt he'd know the difference between a crucifix and a cheesecake. :) On second thought though I am suddenly unsure if I want him to come along since I just realized that my ISO will be there too - and that right bastard will see right through me!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Midnight mass service sounds really great but it's not when you are forced to be there. :-)

But today, I found this gorgeous man right in front of us. I was happy. :-)

Merry Christmas!

Anonymous said...

It's a Filipino tradition - rooted from Spanish influences - to attend the Midnight mass, and before that, eight more dawn masses that constitute the 9-day Christmas novena or Misa de Gallo, mass of the rooster.

Merry Christmas, Paul! May this celebration envelope you with Yuletide warmth, splendor and cheer! :-)

Musang said...

they do have cute priests huh... wow... priests... now that's interesting. reminded me of that one episode of sex and the city where samantha want to have a go with this one hot priest.

anyway, i stick with doctors and actors, they've got more money than priests.

i'm one materialistic bitch you know.

Anonymous said...

Your ISO at mass?? LOL! Could be interesting to hear him ask forgiveness ... quite a catalogue to go through there! :oD

I used to enjoy going, but then it became fashionable and we'd get loads of people rolling in from parties and pubs for a jolly time. Kind of spoiled the magic. :o\

Have a good Christmas, Paul. :o)

k.t.x said...

dude, really nice blog u hv here. mery xmas.

r u not going to hv any portugis fare this year instead of turkey?

Petie said...

I wondered how your ISO can stand being in church... Is he not suppose to be evil? :PPPP

Perhaps your ISO could help break the ice and tell BBB to just gave in and let's you have your wicked way in the bedroom ;)

Hopefully that BBB will not just switch your ISO instead... Or that might help you as you have mopped up BBB's pieces afterward...

savante said...

What gorgeous man, Shigeki. A sexually confused Catholic gentleman? Tell us more!

Don't you love midnight mass, Mark? I love it!

A merry Christmas to you too, Chas!

They do have cute priests :) And they'll have you thinking of other far less charitable thoughts :)

Well, ru, I believe my ISO flirts with the priest to get out of the damned confessional :)

Thanks, Keatix. Had Portuguese fare the other night actually.

Well, Pete, he is evil. We are trying to reform the damned sinner.

Paul

ça va pas la tête said...

A very happpy noel! Mayb peace, love and joy be yours whole year through. ;)