Friday, October 05, 2007

High School Meme

High school has been on my mind ever since I saw the trials and tribulations of the bubbly Tracy Turnblad back in high school oddly enough. Not only have I been wondering what's been happening back at my alma mater, I've also googled a few of my old classmates, trying to catch up with what's been happening with them since they left school more than a decade back.

So since ws was nice enough to tag me with a high school meme... finally :)

Favourite subject:

My best subject would be Chemistry since I somehow had a flair for memorizing facts, equilibrium equations and molecular structures. Plus I had a cute ( though ditzy ) lab partner.

Honestly though I loved English and Art. Nowhere better to express my morbid creativity than sketching out terrifying caricatures of the authoritarian regime ( AKA the teachers ) or killing them in a multitude of slow, painful deaths involving mutilation and decapitation during essay writings. Oh yeah, and History too. Didn't have a sexy professor stripping down each time I scored an answer though.

Favourite teacher:

Obviously from what I just mentioned, I didn't have any particular favourite teachers in school. I mean I had a few I respected but I didn't particularly like any of them. Not sure why though. I must have had a lousy bunch of teachers.

Worst subject:

Definitely Mathematics. Till now the multiplication table still eludes me. Still have to hunt for a calculator each time the bill comes around and it's time to divide. Can you believe it actually took me till Form 3 before I understood complex fractions? And even then I had to visualize imaginary cakes, slice them into 1/4 portions and so forth - and then piece them together.

Math sucks!

Sat beside a boy or girl?

Boys. Boys. Boys.

Happiness
Boys. Boys. Boys.
Not that I'm complaining.

Hold any positions in school?

Monstrously active back in school so... class monitor, vice-president, treasurer and member of various committtees of the various clubs I stumbled into. Somehow or rather I always ended up being the treasurer! Guess I liked sticking my greedy lil hands into the pockets of the hot boys.... looking for loose change!

Co-ed or all-boys?

It's raining boys where I went to school. Tall, blond, dark and lean, Rough and tough and strong and mean. Should have taken advantage of that fact way back when but I was too young and naive back then.

Represent your school in any competition?

Debating clubs, history and geography quizzes... and such. Not to mention drama competitions. Don't even say I'm a drama queen.

Getting to school:

Started by taking the horrid school bus - that took a circuitous route around town before dropping us off since my brother and I were the last stop. Then my parents took pity on us straggling back every evening and chauffered us around till secondary.

Still keep in touch with your schoolmates after all these years?

As usual, annual meets for festive celebrations and wedddings. With spouses and children taking up their time, it's getting harder to get the group together. Recently hunted a few down by googling them. Came out to a few of them in the past few years, grown closer to a couple and we meet up semi-regularly every few months. One or two even surprised me by turning out to be gay as well :)

Did Form 6?

Always recommended Form 6. The best years of my school career - apart from the horrific exams in the end. Otherwise it was parties, picnics and ice-cream parlours. Time to discover yourself, make friends and grow up.

And to have sex while everything's still hanging all right and tight. :P

10 comments:

ikanbilis said...

geez, good old days in the oldest all boys school in the country. i miss the fun i guess. but the school abroad are much more hip than ever! i like it all =P

can't wait for college next year! TOLONG! haha!

Ryan said...

Repeat the last sentence, please, drama queen!! LOL...

kidding! :p

Cyclohelix said...

was treasurer for 3 years before i got upgraded to being prefect. my least fav involves maths as well, not to mention horrifying physics. the best about high school was the crazy talks and fun

Maximus Leo said...

Hahaha-the good old days heh? I left this place long time ago...and happy to leave it there! :-)

Ganymede said...

I heart boy school~~~

Janvier said...

Everybody
Summertime love
You remember me
Everybody
Summertime love
Be my lover, be my baby

Boys Boys Boys
I'm looking for a good time
Boys Boys Boys
Get ready for my love!

savante said...

OMg Are we from the same school, ikanbilis?!

You gotta come here for me to repeat it, ryan.

Maths and Physics. Eeeww... helix!

Nah, it wasn't all that bad, leo :)

Same over here, queer rant.

Damn, you must love it, janvier.

Paul

Jason said...

Yay, boys school!

yw[2k] said...

I was the class treasurer for 3 years in a row (F3-F5), if I remembered correctly. I guess I've always been very 'careful' with money and with the trust placed in me, that at the end of the year, the fund balance is refunded to my classmates in the form of ang pau's packets rounded up to the nearest CENT.

I guess I impressed my teacher to some extend coz she wrote so much more compliments in my testimonial compared to my class monitor (who was class monitor for 5 continuous years by the way) LOL

Ah the memories :)

Unknown said...

I went to an all-boys school here in South Africa. I loved it, LOL... :-)
please update link... thanks... http://capetownpics.blogspot.com