Friday, September 14, 2007

Big on Personality

Forget about torturous diets, rigorous gym routines and fabulous designer wardrobes. If you really wanna land that awesome clean-cut hottie next door and get him down on his knees begging, all you have to do is weigh a ton ( or two ), love your sweet mama's country fried lard-filled chicken and have a whole load of sparkling personality.

Oh. Don't forget to have tons of hairspray on.

Zac Efron
Getting down on his knees!

No doubt the hapless hunk would get intoxicated by the overpowering alcohol scent from your bouffant hairdo and fall heedlessly right into your lap. Listen to the advice of the plus-sized ( and guilelessly big-hearted ) sophomore Tracy Turnblad whose cherished dream is to dance alongside the other telegenic, white-bread Stepford teenyboppers on the Corny Collins Show. And to land the resident dreamboat Link Larkin of course. And if possible to have everyday be a Negro Day in a vaguely utopian dream of racial integration.

Big dreams for this whopper of a gal but Ms Turnblad ( played by spunky novice Nikki Blonsky ) certainly carries it off with style and enthusiasm! Didn't expect much from this good-hearted celebratory musical when I heard about it but I found myself falling in love with it nonetheless.

Yes. I am THAT gay.

What can I say? Crinolines and hemlines, shiny spitcurls and bouffant hairdos ( are they flammable? ), the twist and jive - you just gotta love them. :) The end of the fabulous fifties leading to the swinging sixties and also a take-home message from the engaging heroine to be proud of being different, no matter whether it's size, shape or colour. Of course since it's a musical set in the innocent naivete of the fifties, darker sociopolitical undertones such as racism, segregation and teenage sexuality are liberally sugarcoated with bright toothpaste smiles and cheery showtunes.

Me, I'm not sure if my personality would sparkle and shimmer as much as the effervescent Ms Turnblad - so I recklessly took the plunge to find out. After all, we all know Scorpios simply can't resist delving into the watery depths of their inner souls, maybe wallowing an hour or two to investigate every dark hidden crevice marked keep out to trespassers. Who knows what kinda buried childhood trauma could be unearthed with some digging.

Click to view my Personality Profile page

The Examiner it says. Bloody hell, turns out I'm a distressingly dull dependable inspector sort who's indeed suited to being a medical doctor :P Unless something drastic changes, definitely no dancing and singing on stage under the spotlights for me.

Though it does seems as if that would be a perfect match for the Entertainer sort kinda like Link Larkin ( played to perfection by a suitably Elviesque Zac Efron )? Damn, how did a kid that young look so good? Not sure whether I want to punch the hunky near-jailbait out of green-eyed envy or slam him against the wall to suck on his tonsils. I know, I know, he's young enough to be my ... kid brother ( I'm not ancient yet! ) but hell, a man can dream, right? Till then I can be satisfied watching him shake his moneymaker.

Come over here, boy!

7 comments:

Cyclohelix said...

Fascinating entry :) That's one good show

Medie007 said...

finally, no more Beijing post...

haha, spank me but, ur beijing ones are... darn long. HOHOHO

Anonymous said...

Goddamn, sounds like you had fun in China! But really, next time come back to Aus for some good ol' fashioned mancandy!

And I finally updated, hooray!

robin said...

You can't stop the beat!!

Anonymous said...

Boy. Is that thing accurate or what? Hehe..

Come to think of it, the Pauls in this world are very interesting, no? Hehe..although I won't be the examiner type. I prefer and still like singing and dancing. And preferably on stage. =)

savante said...

Thanks, helix! I love the show!

You mean the rest of the posts are short, ahbong? :P

Finally an update, jamie!

Totally agree, ry. I can't stop the beat either.

Pauls are great :)

Paul

Anonymous said...

Child. :P