Thursday, September 20, 2007

High School Musical

I think I must have missed something in high school.

Tends to happen a lot with gay boys, I'm sure. While our classmates are busy struggling with burgeoning hormones, suddenly hairy chests and a curiously growing obsession with the happenings in the convent next door, we find ourselves increasingly alienated from the rest of the herd - not for any other reason but the fact that we find ourselves far more interested in what actually goes on between the boys in the showers. Hard trying to join in on a heated discussion on Miss Thang's distinctly expanding bosom when I really couldn't care less :)

Teen DreamsFunny part was while the boys were busy wondering how a girl felt like in their arms, I'd already experimented before and casually dismissed it as a phase :) Nothing too wild though, just a friendly cuddle and a quick peck on the lips. I obviously much preferred rough tumbling a ready stud ( say something like Chris Evans ) onto the ground.

Still for the others, high school must have been an exciting whirlwind of teen rebellion, endless parties and tentative forays into the dating scene. Floundered and stumbled through all that as well but there was also another side that I kept hidden behind lock and key. A secret world of budding though confusing mancrushes, secret glances and inexplicable yearnings for boys to remove their kits :)

Seeing a couple of the teen dreamboats snapping towels in the changing rooms certainly got me all hot and bothered but it never occurred to me to actually make a move. Not only afraid of the disastrous consequences if they took offence but also terrified of what would actually happen if they actually acquiesced. What happens then!

Took a while for me to realize that my ISO had similar leanings since he seemed to breeze without a care through high school. At least that's what it looked like superficially ( could be his awesomely gelled-up curls :) )since on the inside he was wracked with just as many teenage doubts and dilemmas. No one's perfect after all.

So I figure if my high school life was made into a musical, it would go something like this.

Girls! Girls! Girls!
No doubt the obligatory opening chorus with a view of the entire suffering all-boys school lamenting the lack of companions of the female variety in the testosterone wasteland - and an a cappella trio mooning over the wall at the convent next door. And there's me leaning at the wall totally blase wondering what's the matter, hardly fazed by the oestrogen shortage.

The Bane of my Life
Which would be exams. I think almost every high school student facing the terrifying thought of exams would be able to write an entire rousing marching song fervently protesting the injustice of state examinations.

Get Me Out of PE
This would certainly be a solo in the changing room as I start dragging on my sports shoes while whining about the sheer imbecilic plan of dragging everyone off into the muddy fields just to run around mindlessly after a single ball.

Out in the field
Out on the Sports Field!

Changing Room Blues
And then later after the football game, you have me again singing a wistful paean while stealing lustful glances at some of the better-developed boys. Randy, virile teen dreams covered in perspiration... certainly a vast change from the crude, skinny runts I ran with back in primary school. So when did I start having such wicked intentions?

Tuition Time
Finally with the convent girls on the scene as well as they come in all prim and proper in sleek skirts and dainty heels while the gangly, clumsy boys ( certainly underdeveloped mentally ) slouch at the back of the room in their flip flops and ratty shorts muttering. Not sure if this would be a charming duet but most probably it'll be a give-and-take between the two.

Someday My Prince Will Come?
Standing with my back to the wall at the prerequisite weekend teen party drinking from the punch bowl while avidly watching the couples twirling on the dancefloor ( with a few practically attempting the lambada ), I start questioning myself with a song - don't they always? - while my ISO stands on the opposite end watching. Am I actually hankering after a prince? And is it me or does my ISO look especially becoming tonight?

High School Musicals certainly aren't always what they seem :) So any hit songs that I missed?

17 comments:

Janvier said...

Where's the Love Song? There's always one!

savante said...

Back in juvenile high school, we were both far too proud and cool to sing sappy love songs :P

poof said...

How bout Coming out Coming out?

Winter said...

i hate PE.. lol.. well, my high school was filled with ugly guys so you can't blame me.. hehehehe..

Unknown said...

I know what you mean. I've been there too...mancrushes! I remember high school, those furtive glances and quick looks that I would give to some of the cute(hot) guys, wanting to see them in the locker room, changing for PE, which I also hated. Even just seeing them in a speedo was breath-taking. I too never made a move nor dared tell anyone. I was far to scared; and I went to an all-boys school, with some real macho, jock idiots. Things are way better now and I live with my partner. I buried high school memories, lol. PS - this is Homme du Cap - but I've changed my blog to Cape Town Pics - http://capetownpics.blogspot.com and my new "name" is M. Thanks Paul.

Anonymous said...

What about "He's the one that I want, OOh OOh OOh, Honey!"

robin said...

Certainly you'll need a comical/ nonsensical number. Too many sappy/soul-searching songs will just never do. I'm sure there were some funny moments during your school years.

Oh, and you'll definitely need a "reprise" (or two), all musicals have them.

So who do you think should play you in your musical-memoir?

thompsonboy said...

My dear doctor. NOT YOU!!!

Enough of the Musical cum Zac whateverhisname cum Hairspray craze. I demand we stop this for once.

Cyclohelix said...

I would love to add: Cafeteria and Canteen Chaos!!!

jay said...

I so hated PE. Ugh.

Unknown said...

ahh...high school! i even dated a girl back then but it didnt make me feel any better. i guess it's juz a phase in life, when you wanna do what others do.

and yes, PE sucks.

ruff nurse-du-jour said...

my oh my doc savante! this musical thing is really getting into you! =)

on the contrary i hold wonderful memories of my high school. esp the shower scenes and the after-PE locker parts... im one of them jocks yknow. and my HS is filled with gorgeous guys. im just among the few lucky ones. hehehe

ruff nurse-du-jour said...

my oh my doc savante! this musical thing is really getting into you! =)

on the contrary i hold wonderful memories of my high school. esp the shower scenes and the after-PE locker parts... im one of them jocks yknow. and my HS is filled with gorgeous guys. im just among the few lucky ones. hehehe

MrBunnyBan said...

Hrm, was never a fan of grease which is the spiritual succesor of that one so methinks I will skip

William said...

All boys school. Testosterone Overdose!

Jaded Jeremy said...

I did not go through the rebellion phase. I'm "special" I guess haha.

As for dating: what's that? ;-)

Overall, high school years were great years for me. Lots of confidence-building incidents.

For some reasons I remember the high school play Flower Drum Song (did I get the title right?) that Paul dragged me to watch. I remember straining my eyes (either coz we were at the back or my eyesight was getting worse) to see the actor's face clearly, not the actress's though.

savante said...

Didn't come out then, gauzzel. Unless you count grass stains on my pants as coming out. :P

There must have been a cute guy in that group, tonskie!

Will update that soon, m!

I think grease would sue me for copyright, paul :)

Nonsensical number? Too many embarassingly funny moments that it's hard to think, ry! Play me in a memoir? Uggh. Defniitely not hunky Zac.

Trying hard to stop the beat but I can't, thompsonboy! have you seen it?

We always had our own table in the canteen, helix so no fighting.

So did I, jay!

Didn't date around in high school but I had lotsa friends, soloact.

What high school is that? I so wanna go there now, ruff nurse! Do they need volunteer teachers?

GASP. You don't like grease, ban!?

Which led to daily fights, william :)

And I loved the Flower Drum Song, jeremy!

Paul