Friday, September 28, 2007

Another One Bites the Dust

I'm usually a peaceable fellow.

Folks who know me would attest to the fact that I hardly ever throw temper tantrums! Never even indulged in hysterical flights such as throwing china or breaking furniture - although it does sound enormously gratifying! At home, that is.

At work though I'll admit there are times when the stress does get to me - after long hours of back-breaking, mentally-taxing work, it's just easy enough to snap when something particularly irritating happens. The proverbial straw that breaks the camel's back.

Though I do try my utmost best to keep the lid on my temper intact - wouldn't want an explosion of fury to scald those innocent bystanders standing close by after all. So I bite my tongue till it bleeds. Really hardly ever raise my oh-so-gentle voice even when I'm literally boiling inside so most of my admittedly snarky remarks sound more like sweet polite requests.

Though a lil more tart than usual - with a liberal dose of heavy sarcasm.

Of course some have said that it's sometimes worse to get cool snide comments.

Justin Chambers
Service with a smile!

So I actually tried not to lash out today when I heard indismissable proof of a fellow colleague's sheer thickheadedness. We've all heard of the controversial issue months back of some physicians finding themselves unable to perform basic resuscitation? I've always dismissed that particular on-dit as wild unsubstantiated rumour till yesterday when I heard Obtuse Omar mutter the same half-baked ludicrousness.

Yes, he was a bit confused about CPR as well.

In a blazing rage, I tore down the hallways in search of this fellow that I fully intended to ream out in private for being such an asinine fool. Reached the ward ready to bark for Omar only to find him already on the way out to search for me, looking utterly deferential.

Paul : You called? I came.
Omar : So sorry I had to call but I really needed help and I..
Paul : It's just a simple case and you should be able to know what to do but...
Omar : Yes?
Paul : Sorry. Your perky nipples distracted me.

Seriously I was just this close to snapping his head off when I realized. Whoa. Major pecs. Proof positive that perky pecs really do win the day - which had me realizing the full benefits of working out. And good grief, those broad shoulders. A pity he's vertically-challenged though.

Didn't stop me from giving Omar a brief lecture though. Turns out he's my junior in medical school ( which horrified me since Omar seems to have missed the strict, rigorous paramilitary training we got ).

But I didn't raise my voice.

11 comments:

Medie007 said...

hmmm... will u bark on me if i can't do CPR?

Ryan said...

No no no! I hate people who raise their voice and bark! Even though I did that all the time using sms or chatting with friends! :p

Anonymous said...

CPR??? Come on, the guy's suppsed to be a doctor! That sounds really ridiculous.

Cyclohelix said...

I am used to the barking, almost suppressed. Root cause, each lecturer disagrees with each other, too subjective I would say...follow A, got scolded by B and vice versa.

Cyclohelix said...

and in my case it is not CPR but orthoptics

poof said...

talk bout the doc having a short attention span?

3-Seconder said...

I know u're a busy doctor. But just to inform you, that you're tagged with 'Happy Moments!"

Anonymous said...

ok ok... next time when you're mad we'll know what to do :P

Sam said...

Newest of the commandments: thou shalt not bark at the hunky MOs? :P

Sue said...

Swayed by a pretty face! (Or hot bod!) Say it isn't so! You should have reamed him a new one! For shame Dr. Paul!

savante said...

If you're a medical officer, then yes, ah bong :) Leeway given to new house officers.

And I don't bark, ryan. I make sweet requests.

Believe it, dan.

Muahaha. I know what you mean, helix!

The pecs were... attention-grabbing, gauzzel.

Thanks, 3seconder!

Flash me some skin, jl.

Yup. New law, sam.

What can I say? I'm easily swayed, annieiiee.. I am weak!

Paul