Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Halcyon Days

No doubt my ISO is trying to turn me into a weepy sentimental mush before the end of the week ( which actually signifies the end of an era as he says ) since he keeps sending me unpredictably corny messages lately. Obviously bitten by a nostalgic bug lately.

Then again he could be rubbing it in emphasizing that the big 3-0 is already a year past.

My ISO : Damn. We gotta become responsible adults after this, don't we?
Paul : We can always lie about our age.
My ISO : Not unless you go for botox.
Paul : And dye my hair black.
My ISO : Do I have to wear fucking boring ties to work like you?
Paul : Probably. Garters too.
My ISO : You meant adult diapers, right?
Paul : Not unless you've been busy bottoming for a gang bang.

Yes. We are growing old disgracefully.

Resignation
Fuck! Is that another grey hair?

Still, some of the messages he sent me were terribly evocative - and did bring a smile to my face as it was intended. Easy enough for him to do so since he has more than a decade of friendship to draw inspiration from.

Risk This in Siam

Not as wild as it sounds - certainly nothing to do with the naughtier things we did in Bangkok much later as consenting adults - but actually a reference to the strategic board game we used to play. I know I know... younger folks would be puzzled as to what's a board game but kids, way back when the prehistoric computer games were still dominated by likes of Pacman and Space Invaders, there used to be something called board games which featured lil tokens and dice! One of these board games was a megalomaniacal fantasy called Risk where we took turns slicing up the world map like mini Genghis Khans :)

Imagine a bare-bones pared-down Civilization without the nifty graphics and the smarmy, back-talking generals. Somehow or rather during the course of the game I always get landed with the Australias - and had to fight tooth and nail with incoming invaders to keep the border province Siam.

Yam Cake Tea

Not together of course. Can't imagine what that would taste like. But we actually used to have regular teas before our Maths Tuition back in school ( since the tuition was above this coffeeshop selling yam cakes ). We'd order a plate or two, smear the cake with chilli sauce and then proceed to badmouth our incompetent school teachers. By the time were done with the brief snack, our merciless tormentors would have been left hanging out to dry without a shred of reputation.

Sometimes though during his diatribes, my mind would wander leaving me to wonder whether I could get away with flicking sauce onto his white uniform and then licking my way down his bare chest as he strips down to change. Pythagoras Theorem be damned.

Thank God It's Friday Mass

Yes, we did have Mass every month on the first fridays of the month after assembly in the school chapel. Growing religious conservatism in the country hadn't caught up with us yet then. I was a bad Catholic. So was my ISO. But first friday mass meant a welcome relief from extra-dull morning classes so we usually snuck off into the back pews ( or at least behind the thicker pillars ) claiming religious devotion and spent the time napping away while the God-fearing altar boys dutifully sang their Glory Hallelujahs.

Still the mornings spent there inspired me to get stained glass in my front door.

Good God. I hope the messages from my ISO are not in lieu of a fabulously expensive birthday gift!

19 comments:

Ryan said...

Good old memories. Bitter and sweet! I don't know. Something reminded me not to look back but look forward. But then some sweet memories are meant to be cherished.

And I hope you do get a fabulously expensive birthday gift! Your birthday is around the corner, right?!

Janvier said...

Alamak MORE Zac Efron?! Yet we think we know who's responsible! Do you not want a fabulously expensive gift after all?

drownedglass said...

I hope stained glass isn't your euphemism for erm... stained. Glass.

Cyclohelix said...

OMG, ZAC!!!

poof said...

no man!!! bring back the hot doctors!!

Anonymous said...

Zac Efron as a banner?

You'll probably be hearing from Miss Hudgkins soon. =)

Lifebook said...

Nice banner!!! I feel hot doctor, where is his clinic located? LOL

asm@di said...

since i know u love zac efron so much, have a look at this. it'll totally make your day (totally SFW)

Zac Efron’s Bulging Biceps

mstpbound said...

where did your doctor banner go? well, i guess i like the cum-splattered new one, too. :) omg i'm studying for a metabolism test and i haaaate it.

Anonymous said...

Bwahahahaha. Now that I've made you your banner, bow and worship me! :P

N.J.A.P.F. said...

What happened to Drs Troy and McNamara?! :)

Alex said...

"Still the mornings spent there inspired me to get stained glass in my front door."

It's easy to stain your front door glass, Paul.

Jaded Jeremy said...

Omg Risk! I still love playing it but it sux towards the end when there are only 2 people playing and could take for ages. Did we even play this together? Want a game? Have one at home :-)

Oh, and the mass. Think I went with you and some friends only once, was it? Just to escape Moral Ed I think. Besides, the schools' chapel is so beautiful! Used to go there from time to time when I was still schooling there.

Omg, this is nostalgic stuff...

Sue said...

New banner... need time to adjust...

-C said...

It looks like I've caught a banner phase. :P

Risk!! (begin geek tangent)

Queer Ranter and I are in love with the updated Risk 2210, which is better in so many ways.

It retains the old risk gameplay (roll dice!) but tightens up the gameplay by adding a couple of interesting features.

One of the most noticable changes is the addition of both undersea and lunar colonies. Yes, now you can conquer the moon. QR's favorite tactic when his earthly position is untenable is to simply evacuate everything he has into orbit, wait until the last turn (There are only 5) and then drop vast quantities of men into your vulnerable areas.

Wow, that does sound like something Queer Ranter would do.

It also adds some basic resource management, map randomization, and power cards that can radically alter the outcome of any battle. My personal favorite are the death traps. 'Oh I see, you want to attack me with your 50 armies? Death trap! Lose half your forces, mwahaha' is an exchange certain to induce profanity.

Plus, the game now has nukes. C'mon, you want to play Risk with nukes. You know you want to.

Jason said...

*Gasp over the banner*

Janvier said...

-C, that sounds a bit easier compared to Risk GodStorm. In GodStorm when you army dies they go into a separate board, the Underworld - where there can be more battles and a chance to resurrect dead men back to the playing board. Thankfully it's also a 5-turn game.

Annie said...

That Zac. What a lovely lovely boy. The young actors these days sure are cuties; but then we had the young Brad Pitt, Harrison Ford, Richard Greico and Johnny Depp during the 80's, didn't we. *sigh*...

Board Games. Still the best. RISK, Stratego, Monopoly, LIFE. Pictionary. It forced us friends to get to-GETHER instead of playing online.

It's nice to grow old with old friends. I'm glad you're still connected with your ISO.

Happy Birthday Paul

savante said...

Damn, why bitter, ryan?

You would be right about who's responsible, janvier. Just look further down the comments.

Not that stained, you naughty boy. Come here and lemme spank ya, dg.

You can say that again, helix.

They are a nearly extinct breed, gauzzel.

But he matches so well, paul!

Not sure where, you gotta look for it, lifebook.

Seen that as well, asmadi!

The banner is around and wil make a comeback. Just wanted a change, mstpbound.

I want to worship you but you're far too shy to submit, shane.

They will be back in due course, njapf.

Are you offering, alex?

ARe we old or what, jeremy!

Took me a while as well, sue.

Nuclear Risk. Oooh. you've caught my attention, c!

Gasp again, jason.

Godstorm some more. Wah, janvier.

Unfortunately, it's true. Zac is still a boy. Sigh, annniiieieie...

Paul