Tuesday, October 30, 2007

My Three and a Half Parties

Not sure how but I ended up with three totally different cakes this year - all of which I enjoyed thoroughly though for different reasons. Short summaries of the events of the past few days so let's start with the first.

Black Forest Gateau

You always remember the first :) And Big Bicep Barry certainly knew how to make an appearance. Dropped by my place in the evening with his cake and candles, singing the familiar song. A little exhausted since I'd just returned from my overnight trip, I actually planned to turn in early - but then Barry promised to entertain me with his awesome cherry-picking talents.

Which he performed quite memorably :)

And then there was the even larger
Banana Chocolate Cake

Orchestrated by Strapping Shane and the rest of the motley crew, they attempted to surprise me in Italiannies on a sunday afternoon. Though I don't see how I could have been taken unawares with the way he kept insisting that I make it there on time! You see, punctuality has never been one of my kid brother's shining qualities :)

A great party - that got even better when I noted a hunky Chinese waiter waiting in the wings ( possibly an escaped Myanmar monk, I believe! ). Razan with the cheekbones that could cut glass! Even managed to take a few surreptitious shots of him - though I think he might have noticed me ogling him quite unashamedly.

Hell, I almost flipped some chocolate onto his neck so that I could lick it off.

Reflections
Baby, we ain't 16 no more!

Not exactly a cake but I just had to put it in...
Mojitos

Certainly not kids anymore and that fact hit us when my ISO and I both walked in through the doors of Qba. In our jackets ( forced on me by my ISO ), doubt anyone would mistake us for callow teenyboppers. We were finally adults. And boy, that sombre image certainly deserved a drink.

Or two.

And of course, saving the best for last...
Sugee Almond Cake

Baked to perfection and simply heavenly, my family bought this for me. It's been a family tradition to have a cake since... forever, I think. Got a shirt and cufflinks from my brother ( ever the traditionalist ) and the scrapbook items my parents already got for me earlier ( and that I plan to get done before Christmas ).

Three cakes and a mojito. Seems like it's pretty good turning 31 after all.

17 comments:

the ugly submarine said...

Oh! I missed your birthday party! Damn it. I would have come in my birthday suit for a little surprise, other wise. Hihi. And judging from the sound of it, it sure was fun! Happy belated birthday though. By the way, it might be a bit too late but i loved the new banner.

Anonymous said...

Not bad for a bday. 3 cakes sounds like quite the celebration.

Lucky you don't worry bout the calorie content. Otherwise, we won't be seeing another post from you for 3 days due to all the time you'll be spending at the gym to work off the cakes. =)

Ryan said...

Happy Belated Birthday! Should've joined the 'crew' for your birthday celebration, but I've got performance.

Anyway, glad that you have a few great birthday celebration! :D

Anonymous said...

CAN I ask sumthin paul? u seem to been always hanging round ur ISO... does dat mean u still care abt him.. like its more than frens but not a lover? aka like QUeer as folk brian's best fren scenario?

Janvier said...

You should have flung the chocolate at them! Or asked to take a photo together!

rainbow angeles said...

Happy Belated Burfday, Doc! ;)

No more burfday cakes left for me & Nyonya? :D

poof said...

Dr paul turned more fuddly duddly by a year

damn! i like guys like that!
lol

clear skies said...

Happy Birthday, Paul. All those cakes, ate surely worth the hassle of growing up ;)

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Paul!! ♥♥♥

Gonna start blogging more, maybe. :p We'll see...!

Zyklon22 said...

Have a happy happy birthday. Someone's a big big boy now. :)

Jason said...

Happy Belated Birthday again :P
Yalah, you should have threw the cake to Razan that day.

Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Paul... You're still younger than me... (by 9 years, UGH!)..

TJay

Anonymous said...

You have got to be kidding about Neanderthal man. But glad you had a great birthday! *hugs*

Happy 31st! ;)

Kihu said...

Happy B. Birthday yah :P

Medie007 said...

hope it's nt too late :P

Happy belated b'day!

Melvin Mah said...

Selamat Belated Hari Jadi* =P

Jonzz said...

Happy Belated Birthday!

Glad to hear u had a good time!