Friday, October 12, 2007

Studs & Stethoscopes

Swore I wouldn't post about Hairspray again but I couldn't help it! And the musical turns out to be almost incidental so it doesn't count.

A few weeks back, one of my friends Lanky Lex commented that he saw a man standing in a queue in front of him at the bank teller singing dementedly to himself. Utterly perplexed by such radical behaviour, Lex instantly branded the poor unconventional troubadour a raving lunatic recently escaped from the nearby asylum.

Not knowing that I was guilty of doing pretty much the same just hours before. Kept my silence though since I didn't want Lex to sic the straightjackets on me.

Pink gloves
I'm not really gay. I just like pink!

But how can anyone possibly resist such a crime? Seriously with your headphones on and the music playing, the sad mundane world just fades away and in fleeting moments, you're easily tapping your feet and singing along to the rhythm of a brand new beat.

Thought I was the only balmy flake around till today. After a quick morning rounds, I relaxed by spending my time going through old case notes and medical records - while the thrumming beat of my MP3 collection blasted in my ears.

It wasn't long before I'd started singing about avalances racing downhill and dancing feet. Became so utterly engrossed while bopping my head at the counter that I failed to see one of my cuter medical colleagues, Laidback Larry, watching me with growing amusement.

Paul : Watching me?
Larry : Is that Hairspray?
Paul : Well... cause you just can't stop the beat!
Larry : Ever since the whole world began, a woman found it if she shook it, she could shake up a man.
Paul : And so I'm gonna shake and shimmy it with all of my might today! OMG You know Hairspray?!
Larry : hey, doesn't everyone?

Come on. Who actually remembers by heart the lines to a musical? Could he be any more gay?

Guess the medical profession should join the hallowed ranks of stereotypical jobs for gay men such as interior designers and boys in the oil and gas industry. Though I'm not sure what draws the gay boys to medicine. The unfashionable white coat? The grime and gunk of human excrement? The unglam back-breaking work?

Seriously though since my rusty gay-dar started functioning again, I've unearthed at least a handful just in my workplace! From Physician Peter to Brash Brandon - and these are only the few I've virtually confirmed. And we haven't even counted the doctor-wannabes. Hell, I should just start a club. Studs & Stethoscopes!

12 comments:

poof said...

0_o

thats a new revelation for stereotype

Ryan said...

And I am drowning in the sea of straight-programmers wearing that same old straight-jacket!

Yeah you should start up a new club there. Hmm... I wonder if gay will get special privileges whenever they visit to your unit?

Medie007 said...

now tat u're mentioning it... i think i do know quite a few doctor wannabes who're... bent...

ikanbilis said...

when i was in the States, i was in musical and Disney choir. My host brother and half of my friends are in Hairspray choir and I listen to them everyday. And most of the kids were straight, including my host brother who was Link. Anyway, I love Hairspray to death, especially Good Morning Baltimore. I broke into tears singing that too, lol!

Geez, I'm so going to blog about Hairspray now!!

Aryaduta said...

Who doesn't find doctors sexy? ;-)

However, I'm at a loss as to explain what would draw gay men into the medical profession. Maybe it's the large stethescopes that they get to wear around their neck. Isn't there a direct correlation between the size of a man's stethescope and his . . . you know. :-P

Like you, my gaydar is rusty - well, make it non-existent! I guess running into a man who knows the lyrics to Hairspray will certainly jumpstart your gaydar again!

Studs & Stethescopes sounds like a great name for a club! I have to admit that it sounds a little S&M for some reason! :-P

clear skies said...

More stereotypes...never.

Gay boys becoming doctors...maybe they're attracted to the nice wage pay, to buy themselves some pretty shoes ;)

Or maybe they like the smart factor.

Maybe you should take out a survey :P

Anonymous said...

Studs and stethoscopes! Hmmm interesting. Can we exclude surgeons, cause they would not know what to do with stets.

By the way Paul, Are you still in the masters course? Havent heard much about it in your blog.

brothasoul said...

If only it was healthy to mix business + pleasure...

Cyclohelix said...

hmm, maybe the minority of us are more particular in details, flamboyant and adore professionalism? Are we more humanitarian in style?

Cyclohelix said...

humane*

daniel henry said...

holla. me need email addy for the reading invitation. ;o)

whyshouldyouknow@gmail.com

blieks.

savante said...

I know, gauzzel! I was surprised myself.

I'm sure there are a few pink programmers out there, ryan.

Precisely. So many you wouldn't believe it with your own eyes, ah bong.

Yay! Another hairspray fan, ikanbilis!

I gotta go get a larger stethoscope then, aryaduta :P

The shoes could be right tho, gaia.

Still am in the course, xenon. No exams at the moment mah.

Fellow colleagues :) It's alright to mix, brothasoul.

Hardly humane frmo what I see, helix :P

No prob, daniel henry!

Paul