Thursday, July 31, 2008

Round Peg in Square Hole

Hard to speak of my new workplace since I still feel like a round peg. Always been one.

In a workplace that's perfectly made for squares. Circumstances ( i.e. work ) have made me conform as best I might to the dimensions of a square peg which is how I've assimilated myself into the nameless crowd of physicians. Praying hard that I don't stick out like a sore thumb in a medical collective that prides itself on regimented uniformity.

With the occasional release.

Otherwise I'd probably go certifiably insane.

Back in my pressure-cooker medical school, I always had what I termed my Wild Wednesdays where I could get away from the rest of the studious clones and break loose with my then boyfriend, my ISO. Classes ended early on those days usually before lunchtime which left me with half a day to fool around. Ah, those good old days of wine, men and... well not song since we both weren't much into karaoke anyway.

Boxed in
Boxed in!

Once I started working however, the few chances I had to release that pressure dwindled tremendously. Fortunately I still found kindred spirits around to help me goof off - but I realized that my psychotic breaks were coming along closer together as time went by. After all I needed a viable outlet for all my pent-up wackiness.

For the past two months, it has been steadily getting worse. Same workplace woes, I'm afraid - only multiplied tenfold possibly. Not only am I suddenly ( unwillingly! ) thrust into the company of a relentless battalion of square Gungho Ginnys ( Gannys and Gunnys! ), I seem to be the only round peg around! If you haven't heard about Ginny, she's one of the rare breed of medical students that thrive on textbooks, exams and working overtime! Hell these are folks who take their off days as an opportunity to hit the libraries and talk about medical journals.

Lemme borrow a recent example - something heard while I was rushing home from work.

Ginny : Sitting around like this is so unproductive! We should talk about the recent advances in medical science. Tell me, what did you study last night?
Genny : Oh, the latest British Medical Journal publication of course. What about you, Paul?
Paul : I read Cleo. Does that count?
Gunny : You read that? But that's shallow, sophomoric drivel. You should cultivate -
Paul : Up yours.

Starting to wonder whether they have surprise pop quizzes for fun on the weekends!

It's all good for them. All the best.

Just wish I didn't have to be part of that group :) Such relentless obsession with work would only drive me up the wall - and possibly end with me rashly indulging in a mindless orgy of crazed entertainment! Hence the need for the occasional psychotic break I mentioned.

Like today, I felt like snogging the surgeon just to get a shocking rise out of the Gungho Ginnys around ( between sticking my tongue out and flapping hands behind my ears ). Why? I couldn't say. I'm always that horny but he wasn't that cute. I just felt like it.

Sometimes it's hard to be square for so long.

10 comments:

Darren said...

you get horny in the hospital too? haha.

Little Dove said...

I read Bedtime Stories. Does that count?

Anonymous said...

good luck
i kinda like the smell of medicine.
and oh, does the grey anatomy's series really potray ur real situation? surgical etc

just wondering (",)

Ryan said...

I guess they are those Kiasu bunch of people. Well, they make their own choice of life.

I'd rather do something else though. :P

nase said...

Of horny square anaesthethists and promiscous surgeons, ah what else is new..."wink"

BTW grey's anatomy and the other medical series on telly hardly represent us here in Malaysia, what say you, Paul?

LadyVanity said...

hey you.... blog hopping :) came across ur linkie frm tiltedworld.org. ur post on there was great!

cool page u got here ^^

Perky said...

But we need those work obsessed people so that we "round pegs" can go out and have fun! ;)

Jaded Jeremy said...

"Sometimes it's hard to be square for so long."

Huh? Only sometimes for you?

Janvier said...

Urgh. CPE when you should be lounging? Bring them out for sangria!

William said...

Squares boleh jadi cirlce, circle boleh jadi square... only less leftover after every transformation. :P