Monday, January 02, 2006

My Mr Darcy

Isn't it funny how we've gotten so desperately attached to our technological gadgets? Seriously, I couldn't imagine living without my cellphone... as pathetic as that might sound. Doubt I'd even know how to operate a payphone now - especially since I can't recall anyone's number.

For the past few days, I've maintained my strict moratorium on Big Bicep Barry avoidance. Struggling to repress all my manipulative instincts, I pledged to do absolutely nothing unless he makes a move of any sort. Trust me, making a decision to avoid a man is simply useless if he isn't around to avoid in the first place. It didn't help much that I didn't receive a single message or call from him for days - actually it grated me like hell and I spent a day or two busy cursing and wailing his name to the heavens, tearing his spotless reputation to shreds and swearing over jugs of alcohol like a drunken sailor.

The poor blameless guy.

Just yesterday afternoon however, I suddenly received a frenetic flurry of messages from an unknown number - and a desperate, breathless call that I'd have attributed to a raging sex offender if I hadn't recognized Barry's voice. Then again, it might have been a significant improvement if he'd turned out to be a sexual deviant! Due to some odd technical fault, his cellphone turned out to be out of commission for several days and he had to take the time to track down my number ( my number was listed in his telephone bill btw ) to call me from work.

A thousand apologies was called for - though I know it wasn't due to any fault of his - and to mollify me, he agreed to accompany me to see one of my favourite books adapted to film ( despite not knowing what the hell the movie was all about ). Like a death row prisoner trudging to his execution, he tagged along to Pride and Prejudice. Definitely a chick flick. I have to admit it was a little odd to have two single guys ( one big guy with broad shoulders in a sleeveless Abercrombie tee and a much slighter guy in a fetching green shirt ) walk into a cinema full of henna-dyed matrons/schoolmarms and adoring couples more interested in undoing their buttons than the film. Still, with Keira Knightley's luminous Elizabeth Bennet lighting up the screen, I doubt they had much time to stare at the odd couple sitting in the centre row.

Matthew MacFadyenDespite feeling a little under the weather - and a little woozy from the meds, the beautifully scripted movie managed to keep me wide awake. Although I spent countless minutes ogling the heroic looking Matthew MacFadyen who played the plum role of Mr Darcy ( who doesn't fall for the serious, passionate suitor? ), I did take the time to admire Barry's cute profile in the flickering light. Although the man claimed to have loved the movie, I did notice him almost nodding off at some of the slower moments - to have me nudge him in the ribs at opportune moments.

Inspired by the movie, this is for Barry if he ever reads this...
“You are too generous to trifle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last October, tell me so at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged, but one word from you will silence me on this subject for ever.”

Damn. Fitzwilliam Darcy was smooth.

20 comments:

Dildos said...

OMG... u r so devious. I tot ur moratorium was for ur own emotional health.

Now, we know it's a ploy to drive barry to desperation.

Yeh, he is gay!

I am so proud of u!!!!

Musang said...

Alamak!!! Comelnye!!!

So right now you guys are unofficially a couple. Comel sangat. He even called you to explain that his phone went kaput. Sooo sweet.

ANd nudging aginst him in the cinema and only to receive approval nods...

Say it with me guys!!

Awwwww....

Petie said...

I think you could also lay your head on his shoulder when he's nodding off even just to see his reaction :PP

So you wore a gift from another man on a date eh? How scandelous!! :P

Anonymous said...

You got BBB to see P&P? And he wore AF sleeveless? Cum to your own diagnosis Doctor.

I have seen about 4 versions of P&P. My favorites were the BBC version (1980) and the one with Colin Firth (1995). This one (2005) was okay, but too short. I adored the guy who played Darcy; so manly - what a stud. I know it's Victorian, but I wanted to see more flesh.

MrBunnyBan said...

Even you can see it now, can't you Paul?

But my opinion is unchanged. He wants you, but forever is another question. Gay or confused straight? Time will tell.


Bitch: Hey, a tree fox/ grey fox! Used to be my personal furry. :)

Anonymous said...

Hey first time visitor here.

You're a good writer!

Are they showing Brokeback Mountain in Malaysia yet? I'm curious to find out his reaction if you ask him to watch that movie..

Anonymous said...

Barry agreed to go to P&P with you? There's serious devotion. :o) (I have the Colin Firth version on DVD, eagerly waiting for this new film version to come our way.)

Was Barry's Abercrombie tee a Christmas present from you, Paul?

Anonymous said...

Kiss my Mike - Paul explained in a previous post that Brokeback will be in Malaysia when gay marriage is legal there. But, he intends to pirate it.

Anonymous said...

honey, that boy is yours!

make the move gurl!

p/s haven't seen this p&p movie. can't wait to see how it compares to bbc's miniseries as i abolutely adore colin firth as mr darcy.

p/p/s what's with me suddenly sounding like a home girl?

ça va pas la tête said...

Paul, I think you both are driving each other crazy in a good way!

Keep it up.

Anonymous said...

walla...drop by wanna say congratulation. Finally after all this BBB stuff...eventually the 2 of you are unofficially a couple.

so happy for the 2 of you ;)

savante said...

Never thought of it as being devious - since I also imagined that it was for my own emotional health - but hey, driving him to desperation sounds like a good idea :)

Musang, it does sound terribly domestic, doesn't it? :) But don't be fooled, okay. He still hasn't shown any signs hat he might want to knock me down on a horizontal surface and have his way with me.

Pete, I have done the laying on the shoulder thing. It's nice :) Omigod, I never thought of it as wearing another man's shirt!

Hoped to see me of Darcy's flesh too, Sue, but I doubt Jane Austen would have approved of such... loathsome bourgeouis notions.

Hope he does want me, Daniel. Well, if you ever bump into us in town, you'll know for sure, won't you?

Kissmymike... well, Barry actually told me about Brokeback Mountain - for some odd reason - and he does want to watch it. Supposedly a contender for the Oscars, he said.

Well, asmadi, the movie is shorter than the series - and therefore not as... wonderful to me but hey, they managed to get in the essentials in two hours which is a feat in itself. And Matthew Macfadyen is a serious, brooding stud with enough passion in a glance to scorch the screen.

Hope so, ca va. Not gonna raise my hopes though.

Pakcik, thanks for dropping by. Unofficially a couple? Hope and wish so but I don't think Barry knows about all this.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Well, Paul, I'm like everyone else in that I'm dying to read the "happily ever after" post.

I was pleasantly surprised to hear that he made the call to you. That's two thumbs up for him "making the first move".

In regards to your above comment ^^^, he is the one that mentioned Brokeback Mountain first? I'd really like to say that this is the "gay" indicator, but I guess I'll just have to hide and watch....

Anonymous said...

Brilliant. Just brilliant.

Anonymous said...

The "frenetic flurry of messages" and "desperate, breathless call" can only be good signs too. Go Paul! Wheee

savante said...

Well, Brian, I am waiting for that happily ever after - but don't be surprised if it's actually a melodramatic tear jerker of an ending. I was kinda surprised that he brought up Brokeback Mountain myself. And the messages were kinda cute, Jamie.

What's brilliant, Mark? :O

Homeboy, you saw it on pirated DVDS? Was it clear enough for purchase?

Paul

Michael said...

Hell, Lizzy, I think it's obvious that you've bewitched him, body and soul.

Don't be stingy with the Polaroids, should you two hook up.

Anonymous said...

Paul, when Barry mention to you that he wants to watch "Brokeback Mountain", it just show that he knows the game his playing at.

Is it just a curiosity that lead him wanting to watch the movie or he just taking his step one at a time to discover himself?

You should teach him that ;) n maybe it will open the door to endless possibility...

savante said...

Well, Michael, if Lizzy does hook up with Darcy, pictures will surely follow.

Pakcik, you sound awfully familiar :) I was equally amazed when he brought up Brokeback.

Paul

Anonymous said...

Wow...am I?

Err...how familiar do I sound though? he.he...;)