Wednesday, January 04, 2006

Struck speechless

Once a year, I find myself just a little speechless. For someone as naturally garrulous as me ( except with strangers... I'm absolutely chilly with unknowns ), it can be absolutely torturous. Add that to a career that revolves around a flapping yap mouthing medical advice and being silent does present quite a problem especially when certain uncontrollable forces conspire to turn me into a fumbling French mime. Some of my heartless colleagues find it absolutely hilarious though. Just imagine explaining a heart symptom to an elderly patient in charades and cue cards - and you'll get the point. It has them in stiches. :)

It certainly isn't on a bet or some inexplicable curse placed on me. Unfortunately I am terribly susceptible to having a sore throat. No jokes about doctors falling sick :) At least once a year, I'm struck down with laryngitis especially when the weather's ever-changing.

Unsurprisingly doctors do make the worst patients. We obviously hate being patients. We don't take orders from anyone, we grumble and gripe over every little ache and generally make quite an intolerable nuisance of ourselves. I'm no different :) And what makes it worse is knowing that there's no one steaming hot like Chris Evans heating up nourishing chicken soup in the kitchen!

Chris Evans
Heating things up!


Okay. No griping over the fact that Chris Evans still hasn't come over to domestically potter about in my kitchen. Nor over the fact that I might be falling hopelessly ( online for the perusal of the voyeuristic public, no less! ) for a straight gay-vague man who seems to be blowing hot-cold like the weather over here.

There is cause for some celebration since I've just realized that this marks almost a year that I've been blogging. Surely an achievement of sorts. Initially writing my blog was for myself - a personal log, an extension of the diary I once kept years ago, to remind me of everything I've done in my life and what I plan to do. Gradually however the blog becomes a friend and a companion even - especially when great guys like you all ( you know who you are! ) drop by to offer comments like the sensible sort you are :) Unfortunately still haven't gotten any dirty propositions yet.

Wait. That was the mild fever stirring up my hormones.

Dammit. Isn't it about time some enterprising gentleman discovered the cure-all for colds?

21 comments:

Legolas said...

Once a year? Try 12 times a year. I'm sick of me being sick. And I discover one thing: Drinking lots of water doesn't help at all. If anything, it makes me look fat. Darn...

Anonymous said...

I know what you're saying. Ever since October 1999, I get rendered speechless at least once a year. The original culprit was the result of having a heated argument with the school nurse when I had bronchitis. Now it can be stress or something else. This winter it was sinusitis.

ça va pas la tête said...

Paul, do you write your own MC. I wonder if they counts. hahaha I would write 366 MCs for meself if I am a doctor. muahaha

Anonymous said...

ohh, poor Paul. Being sick without any hunky guy nursing you. If you did have a hot nursing guy, you would listen to everything he oders, wouldn't you?

Get well and no naughty imagination until you are back on track. (^_^)

MrBunnyBan said...

No voice? Oh dear. That's bad, considering it's you. ;) How long does it take for you to recover, usually? In my litttle book of home made remedies it says to drink warm milk with honey. Oh well, at least it'd be good for you.

Hardly ever fall sick myself - stomach ache however... perpetually.

savante said...

Good God. Leggy, why are you always sick. It's not common!! Go see a doctor!

Brian, it feels terrible, doesn't it!

ca va.. we take leave just by calling the guy in charge and staying home. No need for MCs :)

Shigeki, if a hot guy ordered me around, I'm his slave.

Daniel, trying the warm milk. And you need to eat more... to ward away the tummy aches.

Paul

Anonymous said...

hello paul.. i custom made my own templates but there is a site called www.blogskins.com where you can also find tons of skin. If you want Paul. I will find a skin and install it for you.

akihisa said...

Good god. Only once a year ??! Try having a sinus like me where flu/colds is like an all year around occurence. Sneezing, wheezing like nobody's business. Come to think of it, I must have looked awful with liquids dribbling out of my nose. ;-p

What a way to scare off cute guys, huh ?!!! LOL !

AJ said...

*I* would offer my 50% discount on herbal remedies to you ( and everyone else) but the stuff is really only 80% effective..

Have more sex. sex cures all

Anonymous said...

2005 must have been the year of the blog since so many of us are starting to celebrate a year of blog :) I'm gonna jump the gun here and wish you happy bloggiversary before anyone else (a few weeks early, i know). It's ben great reading you. Congrats!

Oh and as for the throat, get it fixed quick. You never know when you might need it for things other than talking.

ash said...

happy anniversary bedtime story! *achoo*
can you write me an MC?

Curtis said...

Happy Blogiversary, Paul! I've been trying to find the common link, but those viruses mutate too much! Pesky rhinoviruses! Hope you feel better soon.

Just Me said...

I hope you feel better soon it is always horrible to be sick and have to go to work.

Anonymous said...

It just came to me, what happens when a non-chinese speaking doctor gets a chinese-only speaking patient? Does someone come in to translate? Or are flash cards and charades the way to go?

Get well soon, Paul. And remember the flash cards.

jjd said...

doctors and nurses do make the worst patients. I hope you'll do your best to try and take care of yourself and not overdo it. If you have an interest in flying to DC, I'll give you a bell, tuck you in, and bring you warm soups until you are better! Just watch out for Oscar, he may bite.

oh, and congrats on the 1 year marker, most excellent!

Anonymous said...

Paul, how many more dirty propositions do you need, lar?

Your sore throat needs lubricating. Tell BBB (or, at a pinch, Smiley Sam) to come on over and get something hot down your throat. ;oP

Anonymous said...

did you try drinking air asam jawa? (i forgot what asam jawa is in english) supposedly that cures sore throat, altho have never tried it myself as can hardly recall ever losing my voice from sore throat. raspy yes(makes my voice sounds sexy :D), but never losing it completely.

oh and happy bloggiversary. don't stop blogging.

Jay said...

Laryngitis, eh? My aunt had it when I met her the other day and it was all I could do not to shake her violently and scream "CAN YOU PLEASE SPEAK UP?!"

Awful huh? But it was just soooo frustrating trying to talk to her.

Happy Blogversary, you!

Anonymous said...

Ha.ha..I bet your patient will find you as one hell an adorable doctor with all those charades and cue cards. Or are you Robin Williams in the making? bless you for that. ;) Maybe some of your patient secretly drooling over your cuteness already...

True. Doctors do make the worst patients. N I once lose my temper while taking care of my friend when he was down with sickness. At least the chicken soup that I prepared for him does not stop him grumbling throughout the whole time. Making me losing my hair liao..

Indeed you need a hot lubricating liquid for your sore throat. Maybe it will justify what your throat actually need now :)

Or..if that is not a good idea, air asam jawa will do you just fine. It really work. Tried it so many times already. At least I can prepare the drink myself without the help of another..he.he...

CTG said...

Hey Paul - Hope you feel better soon. It's not nice being ill. Feel good buddy! Take care, hugs, CTG.

savante said...

Gonna take a look at the sight you mentioned, chas. Thanks.

ahmad, go to the doctor! :)

AJ, I think I got the sore throat from too much tongue.

Trying to fix the throat, ws, with as much lozenges as I can get my hands on.

You want the mc, ash, you'll have to shlep all the way here.

Hate those viruses, Curtis! Damn them.

cr, you're right. Working when you're sick is the pits! :( So I left early!

Actually, jamie, I spent the day working with my post-it notes :) Stuck it everywhere.

Ooh. Must keep cash to fly to DC to see jd.

Well, ru, dirty propositions are welcome at any time.

It's assam jawa, asmadi! :) My nurses were pouring it down my throat the whole morning. Feels better but I'm still speechless - and now spluttering.

On the same note, Jay, my nurses felt like shaking me when I did my charades too :)

Pakcik.. sigh! If only I had a hot patient drooling over me... I'd... I'd discharge him to another doctor, get his address and hunt the man down!

Thanks, ctg!

Paul





Paul