Tuesday, January 24, 2006

The Memoirs

Surely I am one of the last men in Malaysia to watch the movie all of us have been waiting for. Well, one of the last gay men around anyway - since I believe very few red-blooded heterosexual men could be persuaded to sit through a two-hour chick flick. What isn't there for a gay man to love? Bitchy catfights, devious intrigues, lavish costumes, amazing cinematography.... everything that attracted me to Rome and now to the shady, oil-lamp lit alleys of the hanamachi in pre-war Japan.

Just like any other chick flick, the cinema was filled with gaggles of schoolgirls and schoolmarms, along with a handful of overly devoted couples ( with the male half looking oddly discomfited! ). It was with some trepidation that I walked in alone - it's actually been some time since I've gone to the movies alone - since Big Bicep Barry gave a sad rigmarole about being late after getting caught up with urgent paperwork. For some indescribable reason, a single man strolling into the cinema apparently draws even more attention than I imagined - so it was with some relief that I slipped out later to hand Barry the ticket, shove him into the darkened cinema and proceeded to give him a lecture on tardiness as he innocently munched his way through his dinner of popcorn and mineral water.

Memoirs of a Geisha
Let's have some civilized tea before we go out for some hair-pulling, knee-biting catfights wth Hatsumomo...

What can I say? Despite the oddly jarring accents and the occasional oversentimentality, I actually found myself loving the movie, even far more than the book that I read almost a decade back. The movie tells the bittersweet rags-to-riches tale of a village girl who finds an inner strength to claw her way up the proverbial geisha career ladder. A dubious honour at best but we all live with our own dreams. The recent Pride and Prejudice might have shown a far more passionate love ( and a far superior hero in Delicious Darcy ) but I doubt anyone could possibly compare with the three main actresses in Memoirs of Geisha who played their roles to the hilt. Especially the incomparable Gong Li who shot her deadly poisonous glares with a delicious wickedness surely unseen since Lady Macbeth.

Still, rather than delighting in the brashly muscular Koichi or the unfortunately stiff, two-dimensional cardboard Chairman, isn't it odd that I found myself transfixed by the scarred yet oddly touching character of Nobu played by Koji Yakusho - a far more endearing character surely! Don't recall feeling so much for the character in the book but I found myself reluctantly admiring Nobu for his ideals by the end of the movie. It is really true though that love is in the eye of the beholder after all.

Barry : You liked that scarred man? Nobu?
Paul : Yeah. Daft Sayuri should have gone for him.
Barry : Not the charming Chairman? Not that half-naked Koichi you were ogling?
Paul : Is that weird?
Barry : ( with a shrug ) Never expected it of you, that's all.

Was it actually that weird? Good God. Have I been typecast! :O

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm currently reading the book and it was narrated superbly that it draws you into the world of the Geisha! I could not put the book down and was at one stage tempted to skip work and call in sick.... If it wasn't those ridiculous documents to review,...I would have finish it by now. Anyway, the target is to finish by Friday and head down for the movies.

Anonymous said...

and I am glad that you learnt the word "Geisha" doesn't mean a hooker. :)

Surprisingly, this movie wasn't so happening here in Japan....

What's wrong with me going to a movie alone? Pathetic? hmmmmm. :)

Anonymous said...

Does that translate to him expecting you to like him, more than say, gods lesser than him? ^_^

Loved the movie, loved the book which I read around 8 years ago. Gong Li was plain wicked! But Pumpkin was way more wicked.

savante said...

I know, Ian. I read the book a whle back and it was kinda unputdownable. Where you from, ian?

shigeki, not surprised it wasn't that great in japan since I doubt it's all that realistic but hey, it's fab in its own inimitable way. Going alone isn't pathetic! I do it all the time, just not recently!

Mark, I would have squashed pumpkin!

Paul

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, BBB's interested in the kind of guys you like. This bodes well.

Musang said...

barry knew what type of men you like?!!

that's weird.

not you. barry's weird... and he is somehow 'straight'.

LOL. :)

Anonymous said...

Read Memoirs and loved it. Will rent the movie. So, Barry showed up late. So great that you guys go together to movies. I wouldn't want this friendship to end that quickly were I you. Sounds like too much fun to me. Maybe the romance will happen on its own and be all the more worthwhile.

I saw Match Point (the new Woody Allen film) last night. It is a love triangle (with Jonathan Rhys-Meyers & Matthew Goode), based in the UK, mystery that I recommend. It has a very clever premise.

AJ said...

Ur not the last gay man to watch the gaysha. Hopefully after tomorow nite, neither will I! Hmph!

Jay said...

Trust me, I'M going to be the last one to watch it. -sigh-

Next time BBB asks you about the type of guys you like, stroke his crotch.

ça va pas la tête said...

Haven't seen it yet. ;) Will do so soon.

Derek said...

Just watched it yesterday with CF, which I am sure you knew already.

Koichi for me, anytime, anyday LOL

Anonymous said...

Well Paul - you would have to guess! :-) Simply put, I don't live in Singapore nor in Malaysia! But have enjoyed your blogs since beginning of this year.

hrugaar said...

Maybe Barry was teasing you there - feigning surprise that you might be attracted to a guy because of his character rather than hunky good looks. LOL!

Or is BBB now worried that he needs character as well as his gym-bod looks to keep you interested? ;oP

Jay - nice suggestion. (but here you could be charged with 'indecent assault' for doing that. *sigh*)

Anonymous said...

Have not seen the movie yet. Too busy moving to a new house...maybe I will be the last person watching it..

Forgive him for being late. At least you still watching the movie with him...I guess I will be all alone :(

Just Me said...

I didn't enjoy the movie as much as I enjoyed the book. But I read the book a few months ago in anticipation of the movie so perhaps my expectations were too high. I wish they had done something better with the ending, I love the ending of the book, it is sad and happy at the same time...more like real life.

savante said...

Jamie, I thought it doesn't bode well that he likes the same guys I do. I don't resemble Chris Evans at all!! :(

Barry is weird, musang!

It's a nice friendship, sue, and I'll try not to force the issue - unles alcohol takes the upper hand.

aj and ca va, pergi tengok saja lah! Tengok seorang pun takde pasal lah, pakcik!

Jay, will take that crotch stroke into consideration.

Derek, you know who is Koichi! How cool! THought I'm the only who noticed his minor shots.

Ian.. you're from.. Madagascar?

Not sure why he said that, ru. BBB is an enigma wrapped in a musclebound mystery.

Go watch it, Chas.

I found the ending sweet actually, CR. They should have placed that in the movie.

Paul

Anonymous said...

No lah! I meant that it's v encouraging that he's trying to guess the type of guys you like! Perhaps he's comparing himself to them?

savante said...

Well, it's simple enough, I think. The men I like are morally loose and ever willing to be taken advantage of by me :P

Paul