Sunday, April 03, 2005

One Dead Pope

Altar boysWell, the Pope is dead. Had the wake-up call from my friend Gordon actually. Which doesn't actually surprise me or anyone else so why does everyone ( well, most Catholics anyway ) feel so much grief? Come on, the man's really old, and he was probably in a lot of pain from his debilitating illness, and I think it's time to let him go. He has lived a good long time, people, and done everything he set out to do. Life is extremely precious, people, but the Church has also taught us that a better place awaits us at the other end - and it seems that Pope John Paul has received his final calling.
Hardly any cause for overwhelming lament and mourning - unless you're a homosexual and you want to lament the anti-homosexual doctrines of the Catholic church with the return to back-to-basics conservatism but that's something else entirely. Does that sound horribly callous to you?

Perhaps working in the hospital gives you a skewed perception of life... and a horridly morbid sense of humour. Twisted like Six Feet Under which I guess explains my absolute obsession with that series :)

2 comments:

savante said...

I have seen those Calendars before and you're right. They are hot! Just the perfect excuse to throng the church for mass.

Paul

Sven said...

I think it's ten years too late for the old man to pass over his staff. He's been great as pope in a few ways, but I think he has damaged the churce more than he has helped her. I do't grief for him but for all the lives that could have been happier with a pope of this age. They say he helped destroying the Berlin wall, but I say he just snatched it and put it up at home instead.

I really like Six Feet Under too. It's a really good series, I hate it when I miss an episode.