Friday, April 08, 2005

Insuring sleep

For all the recent late nights I have been having - catching up with the stack of DVDs, I am definitely paying for it now since I'm ridiculously tired this evening. With my heavy sleep debt, I could barely lift my eyelids earlier. Yes, I was accosted by another straight boy trying to dig his hands into my pants - for my wallet :)

Lately, I seem to be the target of insurance salesmen.. I think I'm definitely carrying some hidden pheromones that attract these odd brand of salespersons - who assume erroneously that I have loads of untapped monies in my wallet ( as a result of my chosen career, no doubt ). As I'm still relatively unskilled in sensing such unprecedented attacks, I was relatively unprepared to receive a cute straight guy from Allianz Bank ( some guy I know vaguely ) - who came knocking on my door this evening to interest me in some endoments or trust fund or some such thing. God, I was barely awake enough to listen to the figures and graphs he shoved in front of my face. Damn, I guess even the sight of his briefs wouldn't have kept me up.

This is a recent development for me. Usually I'm a hopeless insomniac. There are nights when nothing seems to work to get me to sleep. Eschewing pharmacological methods of sedation, I have tried counting sheep ( reached almost 982 at last count - and still didn't fall asleep ), meditation, aromatherapy, unusual foods and drinks before sleep... all sorts of methods actually. I usually end up staring at the ceiling out of boredom.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jason...ouch.

I found I started sleeping better now that I work out at night rather than in the morining. When I get home all it takes is a warm shower to knock me out.

Sven said...

Insomnia is a bummer. Mayhap you can find some sort of *hmm..* excercis, like Mr Anon, to exhaust you at night.. or you can try some valeriana? :)

'drew said...

Insomnia sucks, I rarely get it, but when I do, I fall asleep 4-5 hours later. You're like the opposite to my mum, she can fall asleep anywhere, anytime.

Anonymous said...

Ooooo Paul, I feel for ya. Me, I take my ambien. God, I love pharmaceutical companies. I have one question tho, How the hell do you count sheep. I've tried it and can't picture the little buggers.

Darlene

savante said...

As Mr Anon said.. Ouch! Don't think I'm desperate enough to try that yet but one day, who knows :)

Darlene, not sure what sheep look like exactly but I picture white fluff leaping over fences. Tried hot buff guys jumping over fences but that kept me up all night instead :)

Paul