Saturday, March 21, 2009

Mothers and Sons II

Mothers and sons have a complicated relationship. Even more so when it's a gay son. Short of collecting numerous fag hags by the dozen, mothers are the sole representative of the opposite sex in most gay men's lives.

Especially the more misogynistic ones.

Even then guys still tend to be inordinately attached to their mothers - much to the chagrin of their disapproving spouses! Face it. Despite how much we try to tug away from the apron strings, we are still pretty much defined by the relationship with our mothers.

I've seen the silent war going on between Lanky Lex and his chillingly conservative Tradimum who still hasn't accepted his unorthodox homosexual practices. And then you have Jaunty Jared who seems to have settled into a comedic camaraderie routine with his unconventional bohemian mom - who seems more best buddy than maternal figure - going on their regular horror movie popcorn sessions.

Sons
Boy do I have some things to tell ya about my mother!

Not sure how I am with my own mother. Think my friends would be a better judge of that!

Certainly not her favourite son - since I suspect that title would belong to my brother though my mother would deny it vehemently - but it's okay, she loves me more than enough. Our relationship has matured from that of a regular parent-child dynamic to one of more equal standing these days.

Though my mother does tend to forget that I'm no longer a scruffy lil boy in navy-blue shorts! Still quite prone to reading me a lecture in public so I have to turn and give her the evil eye - silently stressing the fact that I'm already a 32 year old adult - but hey, once a teacher!

And I'll admit I do overstep my bounds sometimes.

These few days I've had the opportunity to watch Charming Calvin interact with his own mother, Madame Borgia - and I wonder whether it differs from the way I talk to my own. Though Calvin loves her, I think part of him still hasn't completely forgiven her for the harsh reception he initially received when he came out of the closet. Coming from a conservative provincial background, it took a while for Madame Borgia to adapt to the new situation but at least she is trying.

Though with a few hiccups here and there. Such as pretending that her son and me are only friends without benefits. That we play pinochle together instead of hide the salami.

Reason enough to shudder at the thought of coming clean with mine. Will it ruin the relationship irreparably? Hence the tiring waiting game of does she or doesn't she know?

7 comments:

Conundrum said...

*sighs* Hell of a boulder for all gays. Good luck Paul!

William said...

The traditional Matriarch... **brrrrr***

Bengbeng said...

why rock the boat?

Mr.D said...

i am sure she will accept, mother's love has no boundaries.. and i love my Mum too. :)

MrBunnyBan said...

...er, I just assumed she knows. If I'm mistaken and she confronts you "Why didn't you tell me?", you can say you assumed she knew.

Alex said...

I don't think your mum is a tradimum...

savante said...

Well it takes time, conundrum! :)

Scary right, William?

That's true, bengbeng but sometimes it's easier if things are out in the open.

That's great, Darren!

Shocked to have such duplicity coming from you, Ban :) I like.

You never can tell, Alex.

P