Wednesday, May 25, 2005

A New Hope

Could I be one of the few gay men who dislike going to clubs and dancing the night through? :) Know you love it Jay, but it's true for me, honestly.

Sure, the idea of slipping and sliding against the sweat of dozens other hot, half-naked gay men with throbbing music pounding the floor and strobe flights flickering might sound like the idea of heaven for many gay men but it's not for me. I prefer slipping and sliding against hot, half-naked men in the privacy of my own bedroom :)

That said, dancing has never been my forte - and on the dancefloor, I look too much like a wooden puppet who has lost its strings. Not a good sight, trust me. I need a helluva lot of alcohol to release my inhibitions enough to really gyrate my hips! And hell, I'm way too proper, too shy ( and please, I still have to work off those love handles ) to strip off my shirt in public.

Perhaps ( horrible though that sounds! ) I am actually growing older. Is it too much to hope for a gay coffeehouse over here where I can hopefully share a hot cuppa with a stud without getting squashed in a tin can with twenty other men? Where I can share a conversation without yelling at the top of my lungs to be heard over the thumpa-thumpa gay disco beat?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Getting half naked at a bar can be exciting. but I primarily went there for illegal substances to sniff. Ahhhh, good old days. I imagine cafes in WeHo would be very close to what you imagine in my personal opinion.

grave_creek said...

ohhh paul....youre such a sweet romantic!!!! i know perfectly what you mean,since im looking for the same thing in a men too!!! lol!! i just seem to prefer the intimate moments like sharing coffee in the morning,cuddling on the couch instead of shaking my bits in the clubs..although once in a while i just get that need to move my ass to the music!!lol!!!

Sven said...

I guess we all have different takes on this. For me the dance floor is for dancing (no alcohol needed), when I get started I'm lost to the world, no matter how many half naked guys are rubbing up against me (not that it is a real problem though..).

But I also love flirting, which is a great pass thime around a dance floor, or across it, or with someone on it. But flirting can be done everywhere, so..

When it gets serious I do prefer the music to be low too, and I'v always been that way, so it doesn't have to be age Paul. And maybe not just the bedroom, but certainly not with an audience (well, except that time once..).

Jay said...

Oh Paul :-) We are way, way more similar than you think.

To be honest, I hung up my party shoes about a year ago. Back in London, I just don't go clubbing, full stop. Maybe to a bar once in a while, or a short evening at the infamous Long Yang Club, but full-scale, shirts-off midnight-to-dawn sweaty kind of clubbing? Not a chance. Not anymore. Most weekends, NM comes over and we stay in (on this particular trip back to KL I've bought 20 DVDs to facilitate such evenings).

If I've come across as a gayboy partykid recently, it's simply because.... well, I'm home and I'm on holiday. I have a lot of fond memories of my clubbing days in KL, so the nostalgia factor is huge and, by contrast, I also want to soak up the changes. Then there's the bonus of bumping into people I've known for years (and trying to see who's aged better...!)

I'm honestly not being defensive - I don't see anything wrong with clubbing 24/7 at all if you can afford it, mentally and financially. But your post has struck a chord because practically every word you've written here could be applied to me - except the part about being too shy to take my shirt off :-)(even though I do have the um, handles to work off as well).

Sorry for the over-long comment!

Anonymous said...

This is completely off the subject, but after all that nudging I did I feel obligated to let you know I enjoyed the new story bits. I couldn't get to the new John and James stuff, though . . .

Can I choose a favorite of the new ones? Coriander. And it doesn't need a new title if there's going to be any coriander in it anywhere. The "ander" part sounds like "man" (andro-)which makes it a little suggestive. And coriander is a pretty sexy smell, I think.

savante said...

Sven, you wild man! :)

No need to be defensive, Jay! I didn't say I hated the club scene. Once I get the hang of it, I certainly don't mind shaking that booty but I always prefer a more intimate setting.

Glad you liked the short bit on Coriander, Lucy... and it will be written into that story.

Paul

Jay said...

Grrr I wasn't being defensive! Just a bit long-winded :)

Prince @quarius~.~ said...

trust me..
doctor aren't suppose to dance