Wednesday, May 11, 2005

Intriguing Istanbul

Seems like Turkey is sounding better each day. Went around canvassing everyone I knew for their opinions ( well, everyone well-travelled which is actually a really small group ) but I did meet a few nurses who have been there. And they actually loved it. Think of the Grand Bazaar with the rugs, the lamps, the art work... And the baths :)

Steam : The Turkish Bath


Gonna hit some tour agencies tomorrow and gather some pertinent details. One thing I know is that I hate tours! I hate waking up early in the mornings, rushing from one sight to another and then staying for hours at places I detest but I don't know whether it's easy to get around in Istanbul. Anyone?

6 comments:

Jay said...

I haven't a clue either, but I'll rely on you to provide me with a holiday review if you do go!

Tours are horrible, horrible things anyway - designed to put you in as many places as possible without actually letting you see (let alone enjoy) anything.

I did go to one of the Turkish bathhouse type things in Budapest, on the mens' day (they alternate with women for its use). Oh. My. God. So bloody fun. I did get athlete's foot though, but it was worth it.

Anonymous said...

Hm. Turkey would be an interesting destination. I hear Ankara is a very interesting city, and then there's always Istanbul, and the Haggia Sofia.

I think a side trip to Armenia would be interesting, too. Just be careful, the American Military are a fairly trigger happy group. Just pray that you don't fly over something "important", like an oil well or something.

Jay: Athlete's foot...sorry that happened to you, but if it was worth it, then it must have been a good trip.

grave_creek said...

ohh well if the baths are anything as the photos suggests,sign me up!!!hihihi!!!
speaking of group tours ,i have to say that the spiritual group tours are the worst!!( yes i let my parents drag me with them!! i was not about to refuse a free ticket to italy)... you spend most days in musky dark places looking at some kind of remain of somebody who was suppose to be important,and the small time left for shopping is spent buying crosses and holy statues!!! now i ask you mother do we really need ten holy mary statues??

Anonymous said...

I love reading your posts Paul. I hope you have a wonderful time wherever you decide to go.
On a side topic to Jason, from a so-called "trigger happy American", YOU can just BITE ME!!

Dax

savante said...

I'm curious what else Jay got in the bathhouse :)

Thanks, Dax. Glad you liked my posts.

Paul

Jay said...

Paul:

Me. Two Hungarians. One locked shower stall. 'Nuff said.