Friday, November 07, 2008

Intimidation

Am I all that intimidating?

Trust me contrary to popular expectation ( and malicious character assasination reports ) I'm about the sweetest fella around. But with just one look, I sent three sleepy house officers scurrying away with their security blankets into the cold dark night. I don't think I'm that monstrous, am I?

Reflection
Eh. Not that intimidating.

Then again, I did give them a pretty chilly lecture earlier - after they paged me four times for the same incident. Perfectly alright the first time, answered the page pleasantly and hurried to the patient as I listened to the summary from the stuttering houseman. Not sure why he was stuttering though but I managed to get the gist of the tale.

Turned out not be as dire as expected and I solved the matter in a few minutes. Then as I was explaining a brief procedure to the patient, they paged me again for the same.

Paul : Hello, yes, you paged me?
Houseman : Yes, this is the patient who...
Paul : I'm seeing her now.
Houseman : Oops. Sorry.

Then they paged me twice more for good measure. Starting to feel like I was getting medically punk'ed if that was possible. Obviously the housemen in that ward don't communicate amonst each other.

Reflection
Are they playing some kinda prank?

By the third page, I was getting irritated.

Paul : Yes, did you page me?
Houseman : Yes, this is about the patient who...
Paul : Bed 4 Ward 9. I know. Mrs X. Look in the ticket and you'll see my notes.
Houseman : Sorry.

So you can imagine the reply I gave to the fourth page.

When I finally turned in for a brief snooze at some ungodly hour of the morning, I switched off the lights and turned up the covers. So all the housemen could see when they peeped into the dank, dimly-lit cave were my eeriely blood-shot eyes over the covers.

And a deep growl - since I was battling a sore throat.

Intimidating?

9 comments:

Cyclohelix said...

In sense of authority, perhaps they don't want to screw up and take the blame. But too much of something is just as tough...

Rae P said...

As intimidating as you are Paul, I would choose you over any other registrar or consultants as I know I can get the best tips from you regarding what's the best place to eat, THE place to be in, and the most important thing - who's gay and who's hot; or even - who's hot AND gay XD

forgive them Paul. You were once in the same boat as them XD

jamie da vinci! said...

no plume of smoke rising from the nostrils? gosh.... ur practically a puppy dog! :)

Anonymous said...

Ah well, one always need a strong, formidable presence in one's life. Maybe you're their medical Miranda Priestly? ;)

Mr.D said...

Line em up and spank their bottoms. Spank spank! :P

Alice said...

Intimidating? Maybe.

Annoyed? Totally

Intimidating VS Annoyed circumstances?

Ratio: 3:5

Paul's Personality in Reality? : Unknown.

Conclusion: Still unknown.

Again,

Intimidating? Maybe. Maybe Not.

savante said...

Helix, true enough. Maybe it takes time.

I try to. I try to, raeshad! But to be paged four times in less than ten minutes for the same?

Oh yes I am, jamie!

Doubt I'm as shockingly competent as Miranda! She scares me, life!

Hardly, darren!

Well I am a sweetie pie in real life, leo :P

P

Unknown said...

im medical student..
联络我?!
thx!

Unknown said...

thx!