Monday, November 10, 2008

Househunting

So what were we up to this weekend? Turns out to be a quiet one as Charming Calvin and I actually went around house-hunting.

Yes, how domestic is that? Since Calvin can't possibly be paying exorbitant rent for the rest of his adult life, I figured it's time he invested some of his hard-earned Beijing yuan into a house of his own.

Coincidentally there's a housing development exhibition in town so we dropped by for a look. Much less of a crowd these days - no doubt due to fears of an imminent recession. Though unlike the tumbling share markets, the real estate prices here don't seem to have taken a drastic nose-dive at all, remaining shockingly exorbitant instead since apparently none of the recession-hit executives have opted for that final plunge out of their penthouse balconies.

Unfortunately.

Though Calvin has already refused point-blank to move into any such apartment ( even if there were any to be had at a crying bargain! ) I think I could safely hide rumours of the late owner's tragic demise from him. Of course that's after I hire a motley crew of bomohs, shamans, priests and exterminators to clear the space!

Reflection
Don't worry. I'm not that crazy.
There'll be a twice weekly cleaning service.

Came as a surprise to me that apparently the developers do appreciate the purchasing power of the pink dollar since none of them even blinked an eye over two men wanting to share a home together. With the sales team baying at our steps, I found myself a little swayed by a nifty lil place called PJ8 and a laketown villa in Puchong. But despite the enthusiastic spiel of the salespersons eager to make a sale, Calvin remained unmoved since he's obviously set his heart on a certain apartment block down one of the bylanes of Jalan Ampang.

Though I marvel at the number of studio apartments they tried to hock.

Me, I like plenty of space. So I can't possibly live in a tiny, dank closet under the stairs with crawlspace enough only to be shared by Harry Potter and his pet owl. Doubt I could share a studio apartment with Calvin. In the event of a plate-flinging domestic quarrel, are we supposed to strut off in a fit to opposite ends of the room only to glare lividly at the walls with arms crossed?

Impossible. I need at least a sturdy door to slam ( and a room to hole up in while I gather my strength for the next rip-roaring argument ).

And if I needed any further indication that my brother already knows about our relationship, I got this peculiar message from him while asking for pointers on real estate investment.

Brother : Househunting together? How romantic!

Now, my older brother doesn't do sarcasm so I have to assume that's wholly genuine! Not surprised though since despite his blockhead manner, he's really not that obtuse.

15 comments:

Rae P said...

in the wee hours of my morning, where I can still barely open my eyes; I'm checking out your entry. You must be proud to have one hell of a stalker like me:D

Anyhow, pink dollars are essentially pink....Eh silap. Essentially dollars jugak. Mestila the commission hungry salesperson still hungers for it xD

Time to just come clean to your older brother?

.:: Ant ::. said...

Awwwww..... lovenest, how nice! :)

RPMnut said...

Your brother sounds a lot like mine, Savante. :P

Alex said...

I'm also looking for a house!

Cyclohelix said...

Oh, same here. Better to get now than wait for another economic downturn.

AJ v2 said...

i'm sooo fcuking serious to look for a house this year but due to my excessive shopping habit....well, i have to scrap that plan down the toilet bowl :(

on the bright side, maybe i just wait for my wealthy prince charming to propose....

then, no need to invest in real property coz i'll be living in a castle happily ever after ;P

asd said...

if you find a good bargain.. give me a shout... always in the llook out for a good buy!

Anonymous said...

Finally settling down, eh?

So....I gather that your family has no idea whatsoever about your sexual orientation?

a said...

Good luck with house hunt, no hurry, and survey puas puas, it would be worth while..

How romantic... It's genuine, and it does remind me of me and yip when we house hunt together too...

ENJOY!

Jaded Jeremy said...

Happy househunting. It's tiring. I got mine via agent (commission entirely borne by seller)to save time and also to I was on tight schedule (renting contract about to expire).

Hope Calvin gets his ideal house!

cleo weiland said...

When I go house hunting with my future husband (read: Effs) I won't be looking for spaces to run away from him in the midst of an argument.

Oh no. Quite the opposite.

Make love not war, I say.

*giggles*

And I'd need a secret closet for all the naughty french maid outfits too. LOL.

Good luck! Hope you both find the perfect place :) And have fun!

Twilight Man said...

Much of Ampang area is excellent investment & Feng Shui. PJ8 is no-no. Lifebook can tell you the reasons. Good luck.

__S.B__ said...

Me and my psrtner had brought a place togerther about 4 years ago its cool house hunting it took us 6 months to find the 1 we live in now

Jason said...

Go talk to Nivlac. He loves to talk about house. Want his number? :p

savante said...

Well I might have a talk with him before he leaves, raeshad. But then he's already helluva supportive of gay rights.

Oh yes it is, bioclock!

Except mine's older, nut.

Be our neighbour, alex!

True also. Waiting for the stars to fall. Out of the buildings, helix.

TIme to look for that prince, aj! :)

Oh yeah it is gooood girl.

Yay! Another neighbour, asd!

Well my sib does know, paul.

You househunting too, ning?

Might end up looking for an agent as well, jeremy. Will see how it goes.

But don't you love the dramatic door slamming moment, cleo? That'll lead to lovemaking afterward.

Will ask him soon, twilight.

So how is the house now? Any reno, sb?

Oh yes, we can be neighbours too, jason!

P